In response to Jon Snow
Jon Snow wrote:
This reality wouldn't be real if you didn't believe it to be real.

That's good, I'll stop believing in it then.
In response to Jon Snow
This is probably one of the most sensitive issues in the online community.. on one hand mass pkers should be restricted in their violence and duplicates and scammers should be held accountable by law, but at the same time players should have the freedom to roleplay assassins and bandits. What is an action game without danger?
In response to Kunark
I believe pvp is made to allow players to have conflicts, but not for any joe blow to out and go and kill all, yo.

:)
In response to Zilal
A few years back some guy killed his neighbour because he did something in the game he didnt like.

This may be an Urban Legend but I read some articles about it, whether they were fraudulant or not is not for me to decidee, I personally don't care.

If it is true, then I see why the Koreans are really pissy. I think it was "Slayers" or "The 4th Coming" that the guy killed his neighbour over. I don't know what everyone else thinks but that'd send up red flags to me.
In response to Blueseed15
that doesnt really work, you see, people spend money every month on the account, and the initial cost for the software (if there is a price).

So if they lose something due to another character who happens to be a real person in the real world, the matter of whether they should be reimbursed comes into place.

It's a question none of us here have a right to outright answer.. there are some very sensitive issues that need to be carefully considered before any single judgement comes to pass.
In response to Foomer
Foomer, could you please pay attention to what he wrote entirely, he had a good point which cannot simply be ignored, this is a sensitive issue that must be carefully considered. Many people on BYOND respect your opinions so would it kill you to do the same?
In response to DarkView
Imagine if you will a 6 year old with a teddy bear. he loves that teddy bear so much and brings it EVERYWHERE.

Now imagine Joe Heartless, 22 years old going up to the 6 year old, grabbing the bear and tearing it apart.

The bear would be valued at $14.00 to anyone of us, but that kid would be scarred for life, possibly lose all faith in humanity, remember that act at key times in his life and take out the frustration on friends family or loved ones.

How much is it worth now?

just remember, its "ONLY A TEDDY BEAR"
In response to Jon Snow
Really? Im the type of person who is generous with my wealth, foolishly so at times. There were many times in games where I was begging for objects just cause I gave too much away at times.

Runescape, Asherons Call, Neocron.

I never really considered making real money from games from ebay before, guess I should start, I have ALOT of things
In response to Dareb
well actually I bet if you went into research about the minds power and such... like hypnosis, he probably could make himself believe that the reality he thinks is real isn't to him.

I don't know a whole lot about this, but I know that the mind is really powerful and can do a lot of things if you really try...
In response to Dareb
ya it's really easy to make money when you have a few hundred people collecting items and money for you (and the supply and demand for those items is high OUTSIDe of your nation in shadowbane)

like I said I was a leader of a nation in shadowbane, had a total pop of close to 1000 people... so I was very generous but I had so many items I couldn't give them all away, so I made some side cash which I invested a good chunk back into the nation.
In response to Jon Snow
Well the human beign only used 10% of its' potential.

perhaps one day reality will be an altered space
In response to DarkView
now that would be downright insane.

I believe players that just continuously slaughter other players should receive a fine as a peenalty and if they choose to consider it increases until either they stop, or unable to pay.

I believe that if players are gonna pk, they should do it in game, I find that most pks in games think of the most lame excuse to kill someone.

I agree to role playing, but the role must be a part of the game world. otherwise you are playing outside of the games intentions and are then responsible for your own actions.
lol ya sorry I shoulda been more specific on this, I guess I see it more as if it's in the user agreement that you don't do certain things like using cheats, etc to steal from others or whatever. In no way am I saying making a character on agame that allows thieves to be illegal... I am merely statin that if they are using illegal means, then the punishment shouldn't be any different then a person that breaks into someones house... am I getting through to ya?

In the mmorpgs I play everything in the game, belongs to the company that owns the game. When you sell something on e-bay you gotta be careful to say "You are only paying me for my time, all items and such are property of ubi soft."
So when I say money=time theory I mean purely e-bay value wise... taking this into consideration.

if you spent a month playing a game to get a house in the game, and you've played the game for 2 years before you got this house and everything you collected over those 2 years was put in your house, then wouldn't you think it's not fair and should be punished if someone used a bug/cheat to get into your house and take everything?
In response to Jon Snow
Jon, dont bother, these people are beyond empathy, perhaps when their minds mature their human ability to connect situations to one another to find something in common will develope. but until then they are simply born and raised Urban Cattle.
In response to Theodis
that's why when shadowbane had a "dupe bug" a friend of mine made over 30000 dollars in 2 weeks? I hope that's better then minimum wage.

I think you're thinking of it as too general a problem. I am more thinking that the owners of the game if they state you can't do this or that and verify the rules in the agreement, that the punishment should be no less then breaking any other legally bound agreement.
In response to Dareb
there's also a few cases of people committing suicide from working a few months for something and losing months of work, so they get really depressed and kill themselves.

You know most people's common responses are, "Well get a life stop spending it online" or "they're just losers anyways" or whatever but you know what, some people are handicap, and it's really hard for them to get out and do anything, others aren't the most socially acceptable people, and others just are addicted/enjoy playing games. Try to think outside your own little life bubble box and see thins from a different perspective people :P
In response to Jon Snow
that's why when shadowbane had a "dupe bug" a friend of mine made over 30000 dollars in 2 weeks? I hope that's better then minimum wage.

Well he was exploiting a bug and I'm sure at the very least he can get banned for doing that, but by normal means is it possible to make that much money?

I think you're thinking of it as too general a problem. I am more thinking that the owners of the game if they state you can't do this or that and verify the rules in the agreement, that the punishment should be no less then breaking any other legally bound agreement.

If you break the agreement they can ban you. In most online games the companies reserve the right to ban a user for any reason which is part of the agreement. I don't think anything harsher is neccesary.
That's not what hes saying at all, he only means when people take advantage of game mechanics to scam people out of objects, or repeat kill and stuff like that.

Actions like that are far beyond the games mechanics, and some maybe not so far beyond but still serve as a transgression that should be compensated.

The truth is, time = money. that is the way almost everything works in the world we live. unless you work commission. Now, you use the word "game" very loosely.. in truth online games are really games at all.. a game is something like, command and conquer, something offline.

As soon as you cross the threshold and enter the online universe its a whole new ball-game.(which I will get to later)

What most people call games these days are in truth, Online virtual interactive entertainment. no longer merely games, but worlds and communities that people interact with others in. when you use the word game you make things sound ridiculous, and thats the only argument people have against this issue of punishing trouble gamers.

Football, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Fishing, SKiing, Bowling, Tennis, Lacross, Badminton, Louge, Figure Skating, Skateboarding, Racing of all kinds. These all are merely games, and yet people make money on them, and if you make a bet and try to skip on it, guess what. you get punished. now if losing money = time in a virtual world is ridiculous then all sports are jokes, all the players shouldn't be making money, its only a game.
In response to Hedgemistress
A wise choice, very wise indeed.

Many game hosts should be extra careful nowadays, even in BYOND.
In response to Jon Snow
there's also a few cases of people committing suicide from working a few months for something and losing months of work, so they get really depressed and kill themselves.

Anyone who kills themself over something this trivial wasn't bound to go long before finding some other mundane thing to kill themselves over.

Try to think outside your own little life bubble box and see thins from a different perspective people :P

Think about it yourself. What would it take to drive you over the edge and kill yourself? Hopefully it is something so extreme as to never happin, because if it's just losing a character in a game you need to seek help.

I've lost many a characters in ZAngband, TOME, and other roguelikes some I played for months before they died. It's highly frusterating but other than not playing the game for a month or so I don't let it get to me anymore. Some people just need to learn how not to be a sore loser and if winning and being good in a game are the only things that make a game fun for you you should play something where you can't lose.

Note: Although I used the pronoun you the whole time I didn't actually mean to refer to you as an individual but people in general :P.
Page: 1 2 3