In response to Zecronious
Yeah, sorry. I fixed my post before.

Out of curiosity, will this be a replacement for a SS13 distribution, or are you taking the SS13's method and reworking it? --It's been ages since I've looked at SS13's code.
I actually have no idea how SS13 does theirs. I just created this method myself.

My understanding is that SS13 is more simulation where as I'm doing more emulation.

My goal with this is just to do it for fun & share it, not to replace SS13 code.
Ah, cool.

When I first saw this post I immediately thought of Redstone in Minecraft. Specifically, there's a mod that allows computers and machines, which can use pumps, pipes, and wires with power systems like nuclear reactors, solar panels, etc.
I'm just going to add as well that there's no reason why you couldn't do the same things SS13 does but instead use this.

Minor differences will be things like pipe pressure. Because there's nothing in the pipe you'd have to calculate pressure by looking at what is currently using the network to pump and how much it's pumping.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
Ah, cool.

When I first saw this post I immediately thought of Redstone in Minecraft. Specifically, there's a mod that allows computers and machines, which can use pumps, pipes, and wires with power systems like nuclear reactors, solar panels, etc.

Yep :) Exactly that kinda thing.
I found said mod. Buildcraft, http://www.mod-buildcraft.com/

I used to spend hours in this mod trying to create amazing things. I once had a complete port of Space Station 13 exactly how it was on BYOND, 4 years ago.

Anyways, very neat so far. I'm thinking I might use this sort of thing, if not the concept in a game.
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:

I used to spend hours in this mod trying to create amazing things. I once had a complete port of Space Station 13 exactly how it was on BYOND, 4 years ago.

Anyways, very neat so far. I'm thinking I might use this sort of thing, if not the concept in a game.

Cool. I'll keep you up to date. Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll have some solid demos all documented and released.

I have a feeling I will be making demos with this for a longggg time :)
Zecronious wrote:
I have a feeling I will be making demos with this for a longggg time :)

Oh yeah, the possibilities are great with a system like this.
As a recommendation, I think demo wise you should have a house and show how different systems could be integrated within each other and on their own. So, the power system could power a Hot Water Heater, which has water flow through it and the output water temperature is heated. Having power to a computer with a remote wireless switch to turn on/off the Hot Water Heater, etc.
Wow, as a finale that would be a fantastic demo. In terms of just getting things out there I might do it in chunks but it could all come together well in something like that.
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:

Why did I never think of doing this in Tekkit?!
I might just make this kind of system too and hook my language up to it o3o

V2: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1832115
V1: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1358602
In response to Kozuma3
Well if you want to I can tell you that it's probably the hardest thing I've ever programmed & designed. It is however... Programming nirvana.

What's this language you're building? I've seen it before but I didn't understand it at the time and I'm still a little confused. It's built inside BYOND?
Zecronious wrote:
Well if you want to I can tell you that it's probably the hardest thing I've ever programmed & designed. It is however... Programming nirvana.

Loving it so far x-x have wire hooked up to doors and such, creating a survival game :D

What's this language you're building? I've seen it before but I didn't understand it at the time and I'm still a little confused. It's built inside BYOND?

It's built using DM and allows you to "program/script" at runtime in-game :3

In response to Kozuma3
Ohhh I see. Very cool. Well I'll be releasing the demo with the wires/computers/power tonight I think if I can stop browsing the web and actually get around to programming.
Zecronious wrote:
if I can stop browsing the web and actually get around to programming.

Isn't that what everyone on BYOND has trouble with? x33 , I'd love to see some updated gifs :3!!!
In response to Kozuma3
Haha so true. I think people are like 'meh' about the cables but the pumps and water is:

insert obligatory "perfect gif loop" comment

insert obligatory "LOOK AT THE TREES"
In response to Albro1
What about the trees?
The gif loops almost perfectly, but watch the background as the guy goes across the screen.
In response to Albro1
Yeah it is pretty perfect actually :)
Page: 1 2 3