The problem is almost everything on the first page wont compile so it really makes learning from scratch a more viable option. Your First World (errors), StepBYOND(errors), Action RPG Framework (errors). I couldn't get any of them to compile it originally discouraged me from getting into BYOND at all, but I stuck with it and have learned a lot from the help files. It really make me wince thinking about the community we probably lose to that same situation. Seeing as I can now fix half of them to not have errors I am wondering why this hasn't been done to encourage developers who the very first thing they touch is going to be Your First World.
http://www.byond.com/ forum/?forum=22&command=search&text=author%3ATer13&scope=loc al&posts=1

We're working on it. It takes a lot of time to produce quality tutorials and documentation.
Thank you for the link and for helping improve it. I love to see any info I can get my hands on.
Make the /global/ var keyword undocumented and replace with the /static/ var keyword

See ID:2019425 and ID:2175568

You could basically just rename global with static in the current documentation.
The : operator is described in the DM Reference as a run-time access operator, as if it doesn't check the type of the variable. This is actually incorrect.

The DM Guide describes the : operator correctly.
http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/chap06.html#6.14.2

It states that as long as some type of the object has the variable, then the compiler won't complain.
As long as at least one object type derived from the specified one has the requested variable, the compiler will allow it.
For example:
mob
Login()
var mob/m = new
m:attack = 123 // no compiler error; /mob/player has an attack var
m:poop = 456 // compiler error; no type of /mob has a poop var

mob/player
var
attack

obj
var
poop
color matrix entry in the ref needs examples on how to use the short form stuff
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
Make the /global/ var keyword undocumented and replace with the /static/ var keyword

See ID:2019425 and ID:2175568

You could basically just rename global with static in the current documentation.

Bumping this, PLEASE
replying to unarchive this thread so it can be replied to again
Generally, more and better examples of use-cases, especially for newer features.

Also, more visuals for what each filter does might come in handy. (The visualizer for animation easing by the way is very helpful)

On that note, the wave filter example almost always ends up with people asking for clarification on discord, so that could likely stand to be done better.
Page: 1 2 3 4