ID:189567

Ok, well I installed byond on our site and I have no trouble running linux DreamDaemon to host a .dmb. My problem is that I do not have the slightest clue on how to get the world to continue to host without me keeping my connection active. Any help?
DreamDaemon <world.dmb> <port> &

Alternatively, if you have Screen installed:
Enter 'screen'.
Hit enter after the intial screen.
DreamDaemon <world.dmb> <port>
CTRL+A+D
Hit enter.

The first one is faster and easier, but the latter allows you to bring back what's going on by typing 'screen -x' in the same directory that you typed 'screen' to begin with.
On your site...

Where did you get a website? Is it free? Or are you using a linux computer and something like apache?

Just wondering. <angry cries and screams> I WANT BYOND ON MY WEBSITE! ='( </angry cries and screams>

Airjoe
In response to sapphiremagus
I think I was misunderstood. I have no trouble running 'DreamDaemon world.dmp ###'. My problem is that after I close my connection (accessing via telnet/SSH), Daemon shuts itself down and the world is no longer hosted.
In response to Koshigia
No, you misunderstood the answer. =) Those methods will keep DreamDaemon running even after you log off.
In response to Koshigia
In response to Dracimor
Dracimor wrote:
DreamDaemon <world.dmb> <port> &
You must remember to include the & symbol, that's probably what keeps it running. =)

That is exactly what keeps the game running... make sure the & is at the end, and when you press ENTER, the game starts. Press ENTER again and the command prompt will return, but your game will still be running. This can be proven by typing this in:

ps -ax | grep "name of world.dmb here" (or you can use "Dream")

what this does is show you all the processes that match your game name (or have "Dream" in the name, which will always show since it will match "DreamDaemon"). you should see at least one DreamDaemon process still running.

You can then safely logout, knowing that your game is still running!

=)
In response to digitalmouse
Digi, where can I get a site like this? Where I can have it hosted on a web server. Thanks.

Airjoe

P.S. Could you make a little tutorial on how to install the dream daemon and/or the whole BYOND package onto a website like that? Thanks.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
Digi, where can I get a site like this? Where I can have it hosted on a web server. Thanks.

You don't need a webserver unless you want to make BYOND games that can run through a browser. The walrus.digitalBYOND server that was at home was not a webserver originally, it just hosted HrH and Chatters. Later, I turned on the already-installed Apache server so that people could host small support websites related to their projects. Web-servers are not required for hosting the majority of BYOND games...

If you comb through the forum archives for "free hosts" or "free servers" you should find several posts by Maz, myself, and others, that list free servers that may allow you to host BYOND games. You'll have to check each out.

Alternatively, you can wait for me to get back up and running. I'm still waiting on my dual-DSL line at the moment. Hopefully this will appear next week.

P.S. Could you make a little tutorial on how to install the dream daemon and/or the whole BYOND package onto a website like that?

I have no clue how to install BYOND so that it runs under a webserver - I think Maz and Nadrew are the ones to talk to about that. When I get my DSL line in the new apartment, I will go through the process of setting up the normal servers, and if I have time, I will enable them for playing BYOND games through the browser - but I make no promises, because I now have two new projects to work on, and these pay the bills, not BYOND hosting. And if I can, I will write up a tutorial for it in the future.
In response to digitalmouse
We both are luckey and can run programs off the byond server, like most of the old games around :)