ID:189720

Final Fantasy Online resurrected.

A long time ago there was a popular game on BYOND called “Final Fantasy Online.” This game consisted of many never-seen-before features on BYOND, and expanded the mind of the players in the overwhelming adventures of the game. After a lot of downtime, and a freshly-recoded base, the game seems to be more stable than ever. I, working alone on this project, lack a lot of time online due to personal reasons, but every chance I get, I’ve been doing something or other to the game in general.

Final Fantasy Online was originated by RaeKwon back in 2001, he wanted to create a fun online-multiplayer version of Final Fantasy(doesn’t matter which), so that’s what he did. After a lot of time spent on the game, and the base code not going anywhere (Yes, I was a n00bie at that time as well), I came across Ghaleon. Him, being a rather generous fellow, said he’d lend a hand with the game by supplying us with a battle system. I then proclaimed him to be co-owner of the game, and we carried on from there. Over quite some time, we found Final Fantasy Online got quite outdated with all the fancy-hud-like-games flooding the hub, and the whole “Zeta saga.” Now, almost a year later, it’s being brought back. There will be “patches” released for each section of the game, Battle System, Shopkeeper system, Player vs Player system, etc..

If you have any comments on the issue, please don’t hesitate to give us some input on the matter. I realise that Final Fantasy Legacy has been on a role, but the good news is we are using different icons (as you’ll see in testing).

RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:
I realise that Final Fantasy Legacy has been on a role, but the good news is we are using different icons (as you’ll see in testing).

Just a little note, Ive heard so many DBZers say stuff along those lines when working with the Zeta source code.
If FFL is doing well then there isnt much point in resurrecting FFO. You might as well change the systems around so they arent exactly like their FF counter parts and make it an original game.
Fangames are good if you want an instant player base, and easy to design game, but they have no room to truely grow.
Why not do what most fan games seem to lack the understanding to do? Create the game based off the world of Final Fantasy, not the game.

In response to Alathon
werd.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
RaeKwon wrote:
I realise that Final Fantasy Legacy has been on a role, but the good news is we are using different icons (as you’ll see in testing).

Just a little note, Ive heard so many DBZers say stuff along those lines when working with the Zeta source code.
If FFL is doing well then there isnt much point in resurrecting FFO. You might as well change the systems around so they arent exactly like their FF counter parts and make it an original game.
Fangames are good if you want an instant player base, and easy to design game, but they have no room to truely grow.

Your game has Final Fantasy 1 icons, and Final Fantasy Legacy has FF2. Mine has totally different one's, and the combat system is rather spiffy. Why wouldn't I resurrect the original Final Fantasy game on BYOND? It was around first, so lets resurrect it!

As for Alathons post, yes, I'm keeping the Final Fantasy "theme" with the game, and taking ideas from FF 1-Tactics, so it should work out nicley.

Basic screenshot of Battle System (Just started working on fixing it up, will get nicer):
http://www.nick231.com/user/raekwon/battle.JPG

RaeKwon
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:
Your game has Final Fantasy 1 icons

My game? I think your confusing me with someone else.

Why wouldn't I resurrect the original Final Fantasy game on BYOND? It was around first, so lets resurrect it!

Well thats like saying lets bring back the Atari 2100. Its obsolete, and not really needed. Im not attempting to bash your game or anything, just saying the market is crowded.

Looks alright, the mobs look really out of place though. Anyway, goodluck with it if you choose to continue.
RaeKwon wrote:

A long time ago there was a popular game on BYOND called “Final Fantasy Online.” This game consisted of many never-seen-before features on BYOND, and expanded the mind of the players in the overwhelming adventures of the game. After a lot of downtime, and a freshly-recoded base, the game seems to be more stable than ever. I, working alone on this project, lack a lot of time online due to personal reasons, but every chance I get, I’ve been doing something or other to the game in general.

Final Fantasy Online was originated by RaeKwon back in 2001, he wanted to create a fun online-multiplayer version of Final Fantasy(doesn’t matter which), so that’s what he did. After a lot of time spent on the game, and the base code not going anywhere (Yes, I was a n00bie at that time as well), I came across Ghaleon. Him, being a rather generous fellow, said he’d lend a hand with the game by supplying us with a battle system. I then proclaimed him to be co-owner of the game, and we carried on from there. Over quite some time, we found Final Fantasy Online got quite outdated with all the fancy-hud-like-games flooding the hub, and the whole “Zeta saga.” Now, almost a year later, it’s being brought back. There will be “patches” released for each section of the game, Battle System, Shopkeeper system, Player vs Player system, etc..

If you have any comments on the issue, please don’t hesitate to give us some input on the matter. I realise that Final Fantasy Legacy has been on a role, but the good news is we are using different icons (as you’ll see in testing).

RaeKwon

Cool, may I suggested kinda doing what Squaresoft did in Kingdom Hearts; Bring back some of the old characters like maybe Cloud, Sephiroth, Cid, Squall, and whomever as NPCs.
ANOTHER Final Fantasy game...Is Legacy and the Hunting Grounds not enough...?

-Dagolar
In response to Dagolar
Actually (Correct me if I am wrong, I don't follow this stuff, but I am pretty sure.) I think Raekwon started FFO a long while before those were even started.
In response to DarkView
Hehe I want to see Atari 2100, though they have ressurected their business, but not re-ressurected their console (I know this because they at least helped on NWN.).
In response to Kunark
no that was infogrames...they changed their name to atari to keep the "legend" living or some jazz like that.
In response to Dagolar
Dagolar wrote:
ANOTHER Final Fantasy game...Is Legacy and the Hunting Grounds not enough...?

-Dagolar

If I remember correctly, FFO was the original FF game on BYOND.

RaeKwon
In response to Stimulus
Stimulus wrote:
Cool, may I suggested kinda doing what Squaresoft did in Kingdom Hearts; Bring back some of the old characters like maybe Cloud, Sephiroth, Cid, Squall, and whomever as NPCs.

You bet! If you look at the screenshot in a different post on this topic, you'll see Cloud in battle. >=)

RaeKwon
In response to RaeKwon
Ummm....

http://games.byond.com/hub/Kusanagi/ FinalFantasyLegendoftheCrystals

It was public on the hub at 7/10/01 =P.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
Kusanagi wrote:
Ummm....

http://games.byond.com/hub/Kusanagi/ FinalFantasyLegendoftheCrystals

It was public on the hub at 7/10/01 =P.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>

FFO was out before I was Cap'

RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:

Final Fantasy Online was originated by RaeKwon back in 2001,

Now, almost a year later, it’s being brought back. >

RaeKwon

LOL! Nice to know Canada's school system is working.
In response to Sariat
Sariat wrote:
RaeKwon wrote:

Final Fantasy Online was originated by RaeKwon back in 2001,

Now, almost a year later, it’s being brought back. >

RaeKwon

LOL! Nice to know Canada's school system is working.

Excuse me?

RaeKwon
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:
Excuse me?

Heh, ok let me explain it for you. Currently we are in the year 2003. You said FFO was made in 2001, and almost a year later it is being brought back, so your math was a bit off.

"Final Fantasy Online was originated by RaeKwon back in 2001"

"Now, almost a year later, it’s being brought back."

Get it?

$~Ray~$
In response to Stimulus
Oh god, so he forgot a word or two, who cares?
In response to Metroid
It's not that he forgot a word or two, its that he got confused with the years he used, Sariat was just making a joke on the Canadian school system since Raekwon is Canadian since what he did can be interpreted as a mathmatical mistake.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
Page: 1 2