In response to Jotdaniel
Those were the Baptists, and they are still around....

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Geo
I feel the same way in a way, such as I don't think it's right to put the ten commandments in a public school classroom, but in a privately owned school organization then it is ok. The reason I believe this is because the privately owned organizations have a right to, and if parents don't want their kids to learn about the commandments, then the parents can take them out of that school and place them in another(They obviously can afford another, or just place the kid in a public school.). Although you can take your child out of a government owned school, not all parents can afford private schools, and therefore I see it as wrong to push the ten commandments in that enviroment.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
It wasnt the actual Baptists, it was almost a spinoff of the Baptists. I'll have to get a history book at school and find the name for you.
In response to Hedgemistress
Since you're asking NOW, I will answer...

My opinions on this subject. When I turn on a news station, I always make sure not to take everything too seriously. The media has a fantastic way of accentuating certain things and leaving other things quiet. A fine example are two rapes that happened a few years ago (somewhere in North America). One took place in the back of a bar, where a woman was gang-raped. The other took place in the park by a black man.

The questions that arose from the first case had to do with "Why was she there?" and "Should she have been there?". It focused almost solely on the fact that SHE was out of place, rather than the fact that she was raped in an indoor public place in front of maybe twenty people. The questions that arose from the second case dealt with the man who raped the woman. "What was he doing there?" and "Why did he do it? What was the motive". It focused on the perpetrator and the crime.

This is what I'm talking about. These are two perfect examples of how the media can influence opinions. It's propaganda. Granted, these rape cases are very different from what we're talking about here, but I would like to point out that had this analysis on the articles (by a guy named Tim Cresswell) been absent (which obviously was when the reports were first released), people might not immediately think along his lines.

My point. Media influences opinion and it is good to keep an open mind to everything you see and hear on the news. They inform and they influence. We have a newspaper here at home where the owners have the pleasure of injecting their opinion at the end of the paper. These people are fairly conservative and they get the last word.

It is good to keep an open mind on this stuff. Listen to BOTH sides of the arguments and their motivations and reasonings behind their own arguments. I think it is always listen to both sides (in this case, for war and against war).

-Dagolar
In response to Dagolar
Look. You can view the news and opinions and information on the war on Iraq or anything else of this magnitude in whatever way you want. I happen to view it more objectively because I believe that there are underlying reasons for such information besides just informing the public of everything that is happening. How you see it is up to you. I respect any opinion on this subject and I hope people can become BETTER INFORMED in any way they choose. Education, self-informed efforts, all knowledge...is a good thing, in my opinion.

The very fact that we are discussing such a thing here on Byond I think is a marvel of people's awareness. Rather than simply ignore these things, people want to talk, they discuss, they argue, and so on. In any case, it's nice to see people keep on this stuff in a way other than just hitting your t.v. remote.

-Dagolar
In response to Dagolar
How you see it is up to you. I respect any opinion on this subject and I hope people can become BETTER INFORMED in any way they choose. Education, self-informed efforts, all knowledge...is a good thing, in my opinion.

Well what is your opinion other than that you hate the US government :P? You keep pointing out that war isn't the way to remove Saddam yet you don't give out your opinion on what a better means is. I think wars sucks too, but in this case I don't see any better option so perhaps you can enlighten me with your views.

Saddam is pretty much the same kind of evil dictator that Hitler was. The main difference is that Saddam doesn't have the technology or firepower to conduct a full scale war with those he hates. But given the power I'm sure he'd use it in much the same way as Hitler. This is something I wouldn't want to see happin so I'd rather someone dig him an early grave so everyone else can lead a more content life knowing there is one less evil dictator in the world.

You also keep pointing out the US probably has hidden motives and are trying to hide these from the public. How do you know that the UN doesn't have thier own agenda they're being secretive about? What if they have underlying reasons for not wanting Saddam out of power? Have you even considered that your own sources of information might be tainted? And how do I know you're not an agent of the UN propaganda machine?
In response to Theodis
Theodis, the news he recieves can't be tainted, remember? It's not American, so obviously its 100% accurate and true. Oh, and we could always give Saddam 50 billion U.S. dollars to leave his people alone for 5 years, thats peaceful.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
Did I ever say that the news I got was not "tainted"? No...I didn't. You are a very presumptuous bunch. You presume things without asking, you accuse without backing.

I have a simple question for you, Kusanagi. Where do you get your information on the war on Iraq? Where does your opinion stem from? That's all I want to know...

-Dagolar
In response to Dagolar
That's proof of bias, which we both agree exists, that's not proof of a machine. A 'propaganda machine' implies that some higher power machinated that bias for its own purposes.

You know what's sick? I mean, absolutely sickeningly disgusting? Your assumption that because we support the war, we are ignorant, unobjective dupes who are unaware of world opinion. Your assumption that anyone who supports the war must be wearing blinders or have the wool pulled over their eyes.

YOU are the one on this forum who puts forth the idea that only one opinion is correct or worth defending.

Guess what? Right now (well, not just this minute probably) a branch of my government is deliberating whether or not the individual states have the right to criminalize something I may or may not be doing in my bedroom, and on the basis of that crime, legally discriminate against me in the areas of child care, employment, housing, holding of public office, and so on... and last time I checked, it's too close to call but it doesn't look good. So suffice to say, I AM NOT MY GOVERNMENT'S FLUNKY AND I DO NOT RUBBERSTAMP THEIR ACTIONS.

If there had been another way to get rid of Saddam, I would love it, but he's got to go. More treaties, more time, more inspections... that's called "appeasement." It's been tried before. It didn't work. If Bush or his handlers or controllers or whatever were masters of propaganda, or even had some better ideas of "image handling", they would've worked harder to get the rest of the world on board, but they didn't.

The fact is, our current government doesn't spend nearly enough time thinking about how its actions look to outsiders... I'm sure you'll agree to that, right? Well, that fact alone is proof positive that if there is a propaganda machine, it's sitting there rusting away in some forgotten metaphorical warehouse.
In response to Hedgemistress
This is my last reply on this subject. First off, I don't ASSUME the American people are "ignorant dupes". If you've been reading some of my viewpoints, you'd know by now that I do not see the American people in such a light. But by all means, gloss right by it...

Hedgemistress wrote: The fact is, our current government doesn't spend nearly enough time thinking about how its actions look to outsiders... I'm sure you'll agree to that, right? Well, that fact alone is proof positive that if there is a propaganda machine, it's sitting there rusting away in some forgotten metaphorical warehouse.

And How do you figure that if the government does NOT take into account outside opinion, that it proves there is no influence in the form of propaganda? If they don't look for it, you don't hear about it. If you don't hear about it, you are not getting information that may be credible. As of late, I've heard that Iraqi T.V. recently became a target because there is (one more time) speculation that the Iraqi regime may be sending battles orders through their channels. Of course, there are absolutely no battle orders going through U.S. television because they don't have to rely on those means. But again...for Iraqi T.V. sending orders... Speculation...that is a sorry excuse for action. But hey, it's nothing new, now, is it?

Hedgemistress also wrote: YOU are the one on this forum who puts forth the idea that only one opinion is correct or worth defending.

I'm giving my opinion. I'm defending it. I am arguing against other opinions. If you want to interpret that the way you have, go ahead. It's wrong, from my viewpoint, but go ahead. You won't be stopped. I can say something in one way and you can interpret it in another. That's your decision.

-Dagolar

Anyway, that's it. I'm done on this subject. I can't remember who it was that said this stuff takes up a lot of time...they were right. I've expressed my opinion and my viewpoints. I don't need to bring them up anymore.
In response to Dagolar
Dagolar wrote:
Anyway, that's it. I'm done on this subject. I can't remember who it was that said this stuff takes up a lot of time...they were right. I've expressed my opinion and my viewpoints. I don't need to bring them up anymore.

That's too bad -- I was waiting for you to explain, after being presented with the specific historical comparisons that you requested, how Hitler and Saddam are not similar people.
In response to Deadron
What do you mean? They have completely different moustaches! They don't speak the same native language! It's like comparing apples to other apples!
In response to Dagolar
Did I ever say that the news I got was not "tainted"? No...I didn't. You are a very presumptuous bunch. You presume things without asking

Ok let me make this clear for you. We know Saddam is an evil dictator. He's publicly tortured and killed our soldiers on Iraqi TV. He's fired weapons at us he didn't claim to have. We've known he's been a threat since the Gulf War. Now that we're not letting him run off and continually hide with with weapons of mass destruction we've foundc plenty of chemicals that would be used in weapons. There is no doubt he is cruel to his people and commits geonocide to those groups of people he doesn't like. I don't see how anyone can come to the conclusion that this isn't a threat.

Now if you'd like you tell me I'm wrong please point me to the sources you use to disprove me.

And since you have yet to answer this anywhere I'm going to ask again in bold underlined print.

What do you think should be done if war isn't the only viable option?

, you accuse without backing.

Please point me to a post where you backed a claim.

Page: 1 2