ID:190130

Has anybody felt that background music while playing a videogame actually has an impact on how you play?

For me, I feel that it does. There are times when hectic background music plays, and I find myself coming close to mashing the buttons. Then, when calm music plays, I can concentrate a little better, and I get the same effect of button mashing, but with more life remaining, or something.

For example, on Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, the boss music always had me freaking out, and I sometimes have troubles beating them. Then, there's the underground are on the same game, where the music is calm, and rather soothing, too. All the enemies there fell like flies getting hit with a sledgehammer.

Your views on background music affecting your performance on games, please?

Well, I'll conclude this post now. I wrote paragraphs, but I think I made it rather confusing. Oh well.
Music is definitely a powerful way to influence players' moods. You can make a good game without music, of course, but if you use music well it can enhance the experience tremendously. (Hint: not all music has to contain a synth-drum track! :)
In response to Gughunter
Heh, sometimes, music that is TOO soothing will make me fall a little sleepy, and degrades my performance, a little. =P
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
(Hint: not all music has to contain a synth-drum track! :)

No! That's a lie! That's a lie!

*runs away, crying*

(Actually, I'm pretty sure I haven't used synth drums in any of my songs -- the exception being network4.mid, which uses a power kit.)