If you kindly take a look at this site. : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35037.0
Specifically observe these rules from that page, regarding inappropriate behavior.
- Creating a thread solely to call out another forum member. The thread will also be hidden immediately and depending on the contents of the thread, a ban may also be warranted.
- Repeated infractions or escalation of behavior that results in warnings could result in a temp ban.
- Calling anyone a racist, sexist, homophobic, or transphobic slur.
- Telling someone to kill themselves.
- Bringing drama from one thread to another, even if the original thread was locked.
- Being overly hostile or otherwise creating drama outside of General and Games, particularly as a non-contributor.
Also, a specific note on "drama".
Threads can sometimes get very heated in General and Games, particularly if they are about a controversial topic. It's understood that when people are emotionally invested in a subject, they may resort to provoking others or making personal attacks in anger. In situations such as this, moderators are expected to warn or temp ban attackers and provokers. If escalation continues, the thread may get hidden from low-level members.
Generally, those rules emphasize two things.
1)Be nice, or at least respectful, to others.
It's generally expected that you deal with personal disputes, personally - in PM's ect. and not drag them into other threads.
They generally have strict enforcement of those rules - but also warnings and appeals. All in all, it's a fair system imo.
I'm pretty sure we have no clear way of appealing punishments here, I've never seen anything about warnings. I can say that moderation is somewhat peculiar here as well. I notice that at some points moderation is fairly strict and active and at other times it's like it doesn't exist. It's no wonder people question the validity of BYOND moderation!
Temp bans of 12-24 hours might help things as well- if an escalation is being provoked by a certain member that is usually cool headed - for example, he could be temp banned for about a day so he can cool off.
The general consensus I see is that these forums is basically a giant drama story. Maybe lummox and tom like the drama, idk. I can only assume this was not it's intended purpose.
All in all, I think these forums could stand some improvement in how it's ran. I don't mean this in an insulting way, but as honest, constructive criticism based on my experiences here.
The problems everyone seems to pin on these forums don't occur in other forums nearly as often - and I'm certain it's because of how they run them. So, what are your arguments, your opinions?
Also, before you post - read BYOND's current posting guidelines, and actually do read them. It's a post about rules after all.