Breeding is a kind of genetic engineering, so the meaning of life is kind of breeding genetically modified horses

Horses can't see red, so they are colorblind. They also have bowels. The horses also left BYOND recently.

In reality, this thread has always been about horses.
But aren't organic grass fed horses betterer?
In response to EmpirezTeam
Yea but those horses are garbage
Guys... I just found the single most BYOND gif in the history of gifs...

ALSO! Hey, so yeah, I'm going to be making an attempt at joining the Air Force sometime soon, too. Just to do something awesome with my younger life. Going Monday to take the ASVAB and hopefully to MEPS soon after. Any thoughts or former AF?
...Actually I'm former AF. I was a 1N3 specialty code 4G (Korean Language Analyst)

I don't know you personally, but will be honest, AF is pretty heavily dog and pony show. Depending on your personality, Navy or Army may suit you better. Surviving in the AF is mostly about looking good and doing a lot of volunteer work. Surviving in the Army is mostly about keeping your mouth shut and being present. Surviving in the Navy is somewhere in between the two with a heavy focus on being good at your job. Don't shy away from the Navy or Army. Depending on what you do, those two services can be a lot better of a time for you. Just don't rule anybody in specific out is all I'm saying.

The Air Force taught me a lot. It can be great, and it can also be terrible. Don't be afraid of deployments, though. Being deployed is way better than being stuck on a stateside base. Plus, the Afghans and Iranian insurgents can't hit shit with mortars and carbombs. Getting peppered with explosives every morning becomes an annoyance more than an actual worry after a few weeks of it.

Also, if they ask you if you want to become a linguist, the answer is up to you, but I'll be honest, it's not worth it. The extra $300 a month and $10,000 sign on bonus is nice, but the 2 1/2 years being treated like a child in tech school is shitty, and you have a far greater chance of being kicked out because your job is so much harder than everyone else's. There's a 66% attrition rate at DLI alone, and your chances of getting kicked out if you fail out of the program (2 out of 3 do) are super high. Plus to keep your skills sharp, you need to do 20+ hours of language maintenance a month on top of a 60+ hour work week and whatever hours you are putting in on your degree while you are in. Then there's CDCs and WAPS testing you gotta study for, and time you gotta spend on whatever troops you are given.

Also, avoid 1N2. 1N1 and 1N0 is alright, but officers are dicks to enlisted briefers. Had a buddy that got a shoe thrown at him by a two star general during a briefing.

In general, though, I'd advise you to steer clear of intel. Comms is alright and Personnel is pretty okay. Logistics is good and engineering is alright as well. But again, it comes down to who YOU are.

The icing on the cake is that linguists are all basically stressed-out terrible people that have no social skills and are used to being the smartest person in the room. These are going to be your bosses, your coworkers, and your friends for six years. It's not a good environment to be in. The skills aren't really transferable to the civilian world either, so it's not like it's doing you any good to learn them after you get out.
In response to Ter13
Thanks! It's been a long time coming for my decision, at least. I'm probably looking at either 1N032 or 34. Computer security or programming, but the Language Analyst is a solid third choice for me. I have a lot of friends in the military and I've always felt like the Air Force just had more for me. I've done a ton of research, even since I was 17 when I initially tried getting into the Army, which I'm kind of glad I dropped.

I'm also interested in going Active Duty because, hell, it's a hell of a lot more interesting than what I'm doing right now, I can promise that. Being a corrections officer is only so much fun every day. Lol.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Being deployed is way better than being stuck on a stateside base. Plus, the Afghans and Iranian insurgents can't hit shit with mortars and carbombs. Getting peppered with explosives every morning becomes an annoyance more than an actual worry after a few weeks of it.

Why would you say 1N0 is a bad thing? I mean, it's not as glamorous as some other jobs, but I can't imagine them being total busts.
I don't think I'd ever join amilitary. I don't care about anyone but myself and have no pride for any nation. If Canada goes up in flames I'll simply move to the next safest place. If ww3 ever happens I'll live off the grid, Before I sign my life away. Not going to risk my skin for some abstract social ideals of territories and imaginary lines.

Though I do respect the people in the military. Cause Id never do it. So I respect the courage and dedication it takes. Just won't ever be for me
In response to DanteVFenris
1N0? It's not that the job's a bad thing, it's really more the fact that low-ranking enlisted shouldn't be doing it.

@Dante: When I enlisted I was a right-wing patriot. Two deployments and two years working HOA, OIF/OEF, as well as working the North Korea mission... Yeah. My views are similar to yours.

At the same time, though, I had to see it for myself to understand the danger of American Jingoism and just how broken our international policy is right now. I'm glad I did it. I'm much more aware of the world and how things work.
In response to Ter13
I expect to be able to learn something from those jobs that would actually suit me outside of the Air Force too. Security and programming are basically the two jobs I would love to do in just about any field. I'm a pretty happy camper behind a computer screen, truth be told, no matter what I'm doing. The linguist option was really just because I've always like studying foreign languages that it would kind of be cool. Plus languages and accents come pretty quick for me, which is nice.
1N0 is a pretty wide field. It's sort of a catch-all for whatever doesn't fit in 1N1, 1N2 and 1N3.

It's hard to get the exact job you want in 1N0, but it is possible. If that's what you want, that's great. But I'd strongly suggest talking to more 1N3s before you take that DLAB. Don't overlook Comms.

If you don't mind my asking, though, how old are you?
In response to Ter13
Twenty-one. Honestly, I'm kind of glad I waited to try to get in until now, because I feel like if I'd jumped in sooner, I wouldn't be mature enough to handle a military job.
Yeah, you are at the right age. You'll be fine.
In response to Ter13
That's a good mote of confidence, at least. Now to just hope I make it through MEPS just fine. >_<
In response to DanteVFenris
DanteVFenris wrote:
I don't think I'd ever join amilitary. I don't care about anyone but myself and have no pride for any nation. If Canada goes up in flames I'll simply move to the next safest place. If ww3 ever happens I'll live off the grid, Before I sign my life away. Not going to risk my skin for some abstract social ideals of territories and imaginary lines.

Though I do respect the people in the military. Cause Id never do it. So I respect the courage and dedication it takes. Just won't ever be for me

I think the biggest issue was described best by Jon.

If you want to fight "terrorism", there's no need to go bomb civilians in the Middle East. Terrorism is already alive and well on our own soil. Battle against that.
Flick is BYONDad.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5