In response to Ganite
You and paddle need to stop acting like edgy 8 yr olds e.e. Lrn not to take things so goddamn seriously all the time.

lrn 2 ^
ya quit bein a douche kumo

i dont see you giving dc comics credit for that black panther avatar ur using
< Credit to Byond for this amazing avatar.
Yeah, my douchebaggery is apparently off the charts if Ganite is calling me out for it. (^8
In response to Kumorii
didnt kno i was a douche :(
show me what you got
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
Wasn't trying to trigger you, paddle. I'm just close with a few of the artists on DA who make pokemon tilesets, including the ones you used, so i just wanted to make sure. (^8

well you should've taken 5 seconds to check the hub douche

Anyone can make an honest mistake. Please lay off the flames.

This was something I was working on before work got crazy this summer.

It uses a rigidbody attachment system that I handrolled:

A lot of this would be pretty trivial to do in other ways, so it doesn't really look that impressive until you see some of the more interesting ways it interacts with other systems.

Obviously, it wasn't all smooth sailing to get it to work properly:

And one of the big things that this graphics kit is great for is that creating an imposing sense of size is incredibly easy art-wise. A single 32x32 monster becomes absolutely massive by comparison to the player!

Much of the dungeon elements are dynamic in nature, using a new system of dynamic links and behavior triggers that I wrote:

I've been expanding the Lil'Bits graphics set a fair bit. I think I'm gonna be working in 8x8 graphics for the forseeable future.
@ Ter13 THIS LOOKS NICE!!! *.*

New Interface; The side-bar on the left is now used for the chat, but game-menu, map, battles and other interactions as well!

In response to Ter13
Huh... I never imagined art, especially the character sprite, that small could work so well and look so good. That's pretty impressive, and very inspiring.

I guess that's kind of how SNES looked so awesome, despite using I think 16x16.
I never imagined art, especially the character sprite, that small could work so well and look so good. That's pretty impressive, and very inspiring.

There's something inherently appealing about 8x8 artwork. To pull it off, you really have to have a handle on the medium. In terms of pixel art, there's a sort of sweet spot where you lose a lot of control once you get over about 32x32 tile basis and it stops being true pixel art. The thing that makes pixel art appealing is that every pixel contributes to the composition in a very obvious way.

For anybody looking to learn a LOT about pixel art, I strongly suggest working at 16x16 or 8x8 with a limited 4, 16, or 32 color palette for the entire game. You'll be able to take your artwork to another level in just a year or so.
In response to Pixel Realms
I like the background music, and the animated title screen is neat. Generic feedback, but that's all I've got.

Actually, it's not really a big deal, but I did notice the left/right arrow keys as well as a/d had no impact on New/Load/Quit, yet it still gave off an input sound. I don't know if that's intended behavior, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.
In response to Pixel Realms
Pixel Realms wrote:
http://doohl.nfshost.com/severed/server.html

Login server foo.

Coolio. You're not supposed to be able to make a character, are you?
In response to Kamuna
No. Not yet.
Ledge jumping and Surf!

In response to Ter13
What programs do you recommend for pixel art? I'd love to find something simple to work with that also made it easier to view sprites as adjoined tiles to compare them.
What programs do you recommend for pixel art?

I hate to break it to you, but I work in MSpaint almost exclusively. A little bit of photoshop here and there, but it's pretty rare that I actually open it.

I'd love to find something simple to work with that also made it easier to view sprites as adjoined tiles to compare them.

I actually do this by hand, mostly. After a while you learn to eyeball tiles and figure out what things are going to look like when used together.

Sorry to say I don't have any real advice on the subject other than struggle hard and long until you manage to pull it off.

One of the things I've really wanted to do for a number of years is write a DMI editing suite that implements some of the better features of photoshop, and keeps the simplicity of MSpaint as well as implements a lot of things that nobody has ever done quite properly in my opinion in terms of pixel art editing tools. But you know, it's kind of one of those perpetual: "I should do that" things that I never really sit down to do.
I actually would use the crap out of any pixel art editing program that uses a color wheel for picking colors. Helps my colorblindness.

I would use Piskel, but it uses one of these monsters for color choice:

To elaborate: don't give me hues, saturation and value all on one plane. Let me pick a hue and adjust saturation and value from there.
In response to Azurift
I developed a little JS color picker that I eventually want to use to replace the one in the webclient. It looks like that one but you can switch modes on it, so the slider can be hue, saturation, luminance (I like HSL for color pickers), or of course red, green, or blue.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 237 238 239 240 241 ... 349 350 351