In response to Jen Aside
Didn't appear nice on my phone but on my pc looks fine. Nice art.
In response to Magicsofa
Stellar!

Perhaps there could be an option where the color of the walls is based on your personal health level?
Hmm.. that's a great idea! And pretty easy to do since the walls aren't colored, only the single background object :)
In response to Magicsofa
Looks pretty sweet.
THANKS FOR SHARING UNGGH NOW I DROOLED ON MY KEYBOARD
That's almost like The Royal Nonesuch engine by OneFishDown. That one had more degrees of rotation, but wasn't very smooth. I would consider both engines to be only 2.25D at the most, due to the absence of perspective transformation. It's still a very cool concept with some interesting ideas. I always wondered about the feasibility of a building game with that sort of engine, so it's nice to actually see one in action.

Also, someone on the Dream Makers discord, in the show-and-tell category, has some very cool ideas for an even more 3D looking BYOND game, so you might want to check that out. I left some interesting links there about voxel engines that were used in the past.
Sure, you can argue that the gameplay itself is three-dimensional. I was just talking about it from a technical standpoint. While you can rotate the view along an imaginary vertical axis, you are still stuck with a fixed 30° angle relative to the map, with no way of actually looking up or down, which is virtually impossible without a perspective transform.

The rotation controls are reversed compared to what most players would expect, which really bothered me, although it is a personal preference. Picking up a specific block and placing it where you want it to go is way harder than it should be. Half of the time, the selection outline wasn't even visible. This type of thing would be so much easier if it was done with the mouse. It's just too painful as it is now.

The block merging is a nice concept, but the aim is awkward. Maybe at higher levels you could merge more than 2 at a time, in a row? A downwards stomp version would make a really nice addition.

It seems odd to me that the ground isn't made up of blocks like everything else. The game wants to have a fully destructible environment, yet it doesn't.

Also, when there is dialogue on the screen, your character shouldn't be able to perform any actions, because the game can interrupt itself, causing you to miss what was said.

Other than that, it's a great start for a sandbox game. It just needs a lot of work, and maybe some enemies. Sorry if this is overwhelming. I'm just trying to provide some detailed feedback.
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:

This looks sick. Makeeeee a mode likeeeee skirmish in Star Control for the sega genesis. aha. (it'd be sick)

Wip, mobile sucks, uses 513.1491

https://www.sendspace.com/file/889sdo
Sorry for the lack of updates, life got really hectic. The company I work for was sold with me and others with it, moved into a new place, got married! Only just now have I been able to settle down and actually get back into the swing of things with the game.

Made some adjustments to the player icon, such as a different visor option and reducing the contrast on it a bit by bringing the darkest colors (which was pure black before) up slightly. This makes things look a bit smoother. I couldn't find a good image to compare so the one on the left looks way worse than it did in the past, but even if it were perfect, the right one still looks way better to me.

As for the "Shambler" enemy, I went in and reworked the icon to match the higher fidelity that's seen in the rest of the game. I've also separated it into pieces in preparation for an animation overhaul similar to that of the player mob.

More to come.

https://i.imgur.com/wn6VrOf.mp4

Here's an update to how the Shambler looks/moves.
I plan to update the tentacle arm as well, and possibly updating the enemy so that instead of just walking towards the player, it will stop when close and then attempt to whip them with the tentacle.
OH GOD it's nightmarish
Made some animations for them dying and reworked the tentacle arm.

https://i.imgur.com/enJi7oe.mp4
I'm working on making a small update to an older library of mine and adding two new ones to the hub. I don't think they're gonna be particularly mindblowing, and probably won't really interest anyone, but they'll be there. Someone was struggling with some common laymen confusion about probability, so I wrote up some code for them to alleviate their problem. It is pretty general though, so it might be useful to others too.

:D DBZ Team Battle Simulator

Back to this. Fog of war and a minimap using alpha filters and render targets.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 337 338 339 340 341 ... 349 350 351