c8

You can add numbers of any size to eachother, can easily be used in a mulitplication proc as well.

[ *insert acid joke here* ]

fr tho, this is super cool. Gonna get as much mileage out of this effect as i can.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:

You can add numbers of any size to eachother, can easily be used in a mulitplication proc as well.

Using text for this sort of thing is a bad way to do it. Much earlier in this thread I documented my own bignum sorta project, and I compared mine to two other libraries on BYOND that use text, much like yours. Not only is the method of working directly with numbers significantly faster (if a bit harder to implement), but it's also far better with memory. And by faster, I mean faster. My code could compute something like 30! about ten or twenty times faster than meetings like yours.
In response to Popisfizzy
Please stay on-topic, thanks!
Popisfizzy wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:

Using text for this sort of thing is a bad way to do it. Much earlier in this thread I documented my own bignum sorta project, and I compared mine to two other libraries on BYOND that use text, much like yours. Not only is the method of working directly with numbers significantly faster (if a bit harder to implement), but it's also far better with memory. And by faster, I mean faster. My code could compute something like 30! about ten or twenty times faster than meetings like yours.

This is super useful to know! Thanks for sharing this bit of information.

* . *

Testing mine out I'm able to add two 6,388 digit numbers together with only 0.030 Total CPU unaveraged.

Good enough for the majority of uses imo, also basically plug-in-play. All you have to do is instead of numbers they're strings. No overlycomplicated knowledge needed to do something simple.
In response to Kozuma3
Yes, addition can be done in linear time and is easy. That's why I talked about computing factorials, because multiplication (for algorithms that don't require specialized knowledge to implement) is polynomial time—quadratic as an upper bound—and that's where you run into bigger problems.

[edit]

I decided to look back in the thread, and found this where I posted some tests for doing addition. I also found that I actually tested computing 300!, not 30!. That is an extremely substantial difference.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Testing mine out I'm able to add two 6,388 digit numbers together with only 0.030 Total CPU unaveraged.

Good enough for the majority of uses imo, also basically plug-in-play. All you have to do is instead of numbers they're strings. No overlycomplicated knowledge needed to do something simple.

You're not wrong: Your approach would be good enough for most simple applications. However, for any fast-paced, or action-oriented games where twitch time is important; "good enough" won't always cut it.

It's almost always better to do things the best possible way than it is to do them the "good enough" way. I think it would be worthwhile to convert your library to use numbers rather than strings.
In response to Kozuma3
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:

That eye tho
In response to Kumorii
Oooh, fancy filter magic!
In response to Kozuma3

All the code required for for

The FEED Halloween Demo will be available late Halloween Eve!

FEED: The Halloween Demo is finished and uploaded! It will be available on its very own hub as soon as it's approved!

In the meantime; check out this playthrough I did of it if you don't mind spoilers!
Page: 1 2 3 ... 347 348 349 350 351