I never said that I did any calculations, not everyone is a math wizard or numbers person. I merely plugged in whichever number, at the time (which at this point was many years ago when I was much younger and it has never been changed), that worked.
Anyhow, I appreciate the information. I would set the numbers properly but I never really considered setting every single one of my animations to a certain number. I set them to whatever makes them look the best, which is variable. That same randomness is what lead to an FPS of 11, everything of what you mentioned I had no knowledge of back then other than knowing the FPS the human eye can perceive, which I'm sure someone has some problem with as well!).
So, if I were to set my FPS to 20 what would I have to set all of my animations to? I guess I don't see any connection. It isn't like these are precise animations that require every single frame to be rendered anyway. I simply set my FPS to 11 because that seemed to be the appropriate speed at which the players could move, nothing much else behind it.
1 frame = TICK_LAG

you can calculate TICK_LAG by 10/FPS.

So if you set your FPS to 20, 1 frame of animation would be 10/20 or 0.5.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
1 frame = TICK_LAG

you can calculate TICK_LAG by 10/FPS.

So if you set your FPS to 20, 1 frame of animation would be 10/20 or 0.5.

Doesn't this mean I'd have to set all of my animations frames to 0.5? How do you make varying speeds of animations if they all must be set at the same rate? Perhaps I am just not grasping this.
@Ter in case you are interested- A view of 28x20 seems to be pretty solid for single player. You can throw whatever you want at it.
@Exentriks: The more movable atoms you have in view, the less true that'll be.

It depends entirely on a number of factors, not just how many turfs. Transparency affects it, blend_mode affects it, transformations affect it, etc. There's more to the problem than just view.
In response to Ter13
I threw most of that at it so far. It has been a brief testing but so far so good, I'm sure I'll encounter its limitations as I go along.
New question:
Does anyone know if there's a way to access sound files while they're active? To give an example: what I'm currently trying to do is figure out a way to fade songs out or in while they are being played.

Is there a simple way to do this, or any way at all. I tried messing with the channels and the volume levels using the sound() function but no luck.
Check Koil's soundmob library. I've posted a link to it in the Dev Help thread I created.
It supports fading and channels, may help you.
Fading songs in and out should be as simple as having a sound() datum with the right channel (you do need to know the channel) and SOUND_UPDATE in its flags, and sending that datum.
In response to Lummox JR
That is awesome. Alright thanks a bunch.

edit for future reference:

Sound Fade out:
            var/sound/soundFadeDatum = sound('rainBackground.wav')// sucky part is the datum needs to have the right sound file too.
soundFadeDatum.status = SOUND_UPDATE
soundFadeDatum.channel = Channel

for(var/i = previousVolume; i > newVolume; i-- )
soundFadeDatum.volume = i
src << soundFadeDatum
sleep(0.2)
I have new question!(not sure if to make it into its own post or just reuse this one). But is there a way to allow the players camera to zoom in and out?

In response to Exentriks Gaming
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
I have new question!(not sure if to make it into its own post or just reuse this one). But is there a way to allow the players camera to zoom in and out?

http://www.byond.com/developer/Kaiochao/MapZoom?tab=index

Yes, with Kaiochao's Map Zoom library.
I use this for Pondera and it is wonderful! A very nice plug and play library. Kudos to Kaio for the lib.
In response to AERProductions
Kaiochao is a life saver. Thank you once again again AERProductions!

edit: After adding the library the screen starts zoomed in and I can't get it to zoom in or out properly. Not sure where the problem is, did something similar happen with you?

Just ended up making my own zoom, just needed to know the winset call. It helped out regardless.
There is a macro in the demo file in that library that you must copy and place into your project for the scrolling (zoom in/out) to work.
In response to AERProductions
The problem was that the list zoom_steps[] = list(0, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4) was starting with a value of 0 instead of 1. It was setting the zoom = 0 in the winset call and that messed it up a bit.
Just have a quick question; I remember in older versions you could check the profile in DreamSeeker to see the procs that were running and the cpu and memory they were taking up. Is there a way to check that still? The profile now shows something else, I'm not even quite sure what it is.
The profile shows the same stuff as it ever did, although the profiler dialog also includes a network profile tab you can use as well.
In response to Lummox JR
How would I access this profile. I'm doing options&messages>>server>>profile and all I get is profile network that doesn't show any of the old stuff.
If you are hosting from DreamDaemon, you can't profile with DreamSeeker.

If you aren't the host connection, you can't profile on the client connection.

If your game isn't compiled in Debug mode to boot, you can't profile code.
In response to Ter13
Thank you!! I forgot about the Debug mode- actually I didn't even know it was required.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6