If you need turf stuff made, I'm working with someone else to get transition tiles generated from base textures. I'm absolutely astounded nobody in the 30+ years of tile-based games has made the most simple freakin' tool any tile-based game designer could use - input texture A, input texture B, input blend mask, create 12-tile set.

I'm just trying to figure out a couple minor things, like why the inside-corner tiles have the blend mask seemingly offset despite the same algorithm being used each time, just the texture on the blend mask was replaced.
That's a pretty good idea.
Are you generating those on the fly or just creating 'hardcopies' of them.
In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
That's a pretty good idea.
Are you generating those on the fly or just creating 'hardcopies' of them.

Here's how it works in practice:

Take two textures of the same dimensions (in this case, 256x256.)

Create a 3x3 tiled grid of each texture. Align grids.

Grid from the first input texture goes to bottom layer, second texture in is top layer.

Apply blend mask, render and output to file.

Invert layers, blend mask remains with new topmost layer, absolutely unchanged.

Render new opposing tileset and output to file.

I cut the tiles manually. I made absolutely sure I had my coordinates down pat when cutting the textures.
In response to Khyberkitsune
Hmm.
I'd just make them all 32x32 then generate the tile by using code.
Give each object or turf a different layer and blend them using icon blend-
then fcopy to generate the file.

Unrelated:
Khyberkitsune wrote:

Ugh, that object tree. http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1620724
I'll be keeping the object tree the way it is.

I think I might have nailed down why the blend mask seems to go off-alignment despite being the same one. It likely has to do with the way my blend mask runs on a light/dark contrast stencil, and the disparity in overall brightness for the textures is so great. It doesn't happen with textures closer in relative brightness, like grass + sand. I need to run a few more tests to confirm this, but I think I got it nailed.
Confirmed, the blend mask worked on color 'intensity.' Getting to work on a fix.
Khyberkitsune wrote:
I'm absolutely astounded nobody in the 30+ years of tile-based games has made the most simple freakin' tool any tile-based game designer could use - input texture A, input texture B, input blend mask, create 12-tile set.

Many people have. o-o

You don't even need the second texture, you can apply transparency/translucency to the first and accomplish the same effect.
I really dislike the masking technique for generating texture edges. I prefer the artistic control of drawing them by hand.

A 47-tile autotile approach only requires you to draw roughly 14 unique tiles to get all 47 possible states.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
You don't even need the second texture, you can apply transparency/translucency to the first and accomplish the same effect.

You don't need a second texture to generate transitional tiles? How do you get the transitionals in the first place, then, without a set of source textures? If I only have mountain tile and want lava, just tossing transparency on the mountain texture doesn't seem like it would generate lava transitions.
I was talking about the other way around.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I really dislike the masking technique for generating texture edges. I prefer the artistic control of drawing them by hand.

A 47-tile autotile approach only requires you to draw roughly 14 unique tiles to get all 47 possible states.

I can't draw. All my 'artistic' talent lies in guitars.

And 47 states? I only need 14 tiles. Two source textures and their transitions! What other states would there be besides the directionals?
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
I was talking about the other way around.

So instead of switching the texture on the blend mask layer, just instead do an inverse transparency fill? Is that what you mean?
Khyberkitsune wrote:

Can't is not something that applies to that statement unless you lack the ability to move from the neck down. "Refuse to learn how to" is what you meant to say.

Saying: "I can't draw" is basically implying that those that can were born knowing how to draw. We learned. We put effort in. We put time in. We put energy in. If you can't draw it's because you haven't done enough drawing.

Khyberkitsune wrote:
What other states would there be besides the directionals?

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1610903

There are 47 reasonable joins based on an 8-directional blend. There's not much more to explain. There just are. The math of how it works just is.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Khyberkitsune wrote:

Can't is not something that applies to that statement unless you lack the ability to move from the neck down. "Refuse to learn how to" is what you meant to say.

Saying: "I can't draw" is basically implying that those that can were born knowing how to draw. We learned. We put effort in. We put time in. We put energy in. If you can't draw it's because you haven't done enough drawing.

Khyberkitsune wrote:
What other states would there be besides the directionals?

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1610903

There are 47 reasonable joins based on an 8-directional blend. There's not much more to explain. There just are. The math of how it works just is.

It's kinda hard to draw with a broken and fused wrist. :D It's enough of a pain to even use the mouse or strum my guitar.
Looking at the autotile generator, I'm having to use RPGMaker format? Does that mean I now need to install RPGMaker on my system to use that? No way to import/export or simply lay out the tiles without having that installed or in use?
Looking at the autotile generator, I'm having to use RPGMaker format? Does that mean I now need to install RPGMaker on my system to use that? No way to import/export or simply lay out the tiles without having that installed or in use?

...No.

It has nothing to do with laying out tiles. It merely generates a DMI file that has the various autotile variants based on your input texture.

It merely uses the RPGMaker VX/XP formatting for the initial import.

Nowhere did I say you needed to install RPGMaker or even use it. Just lay our input graphics out like RPGMaker chipsets do:

In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

...No.

It has nothing to do with laying out tiles. It merely generates a DMI file that has the various autotile variants based on your input texture.

It merely uses the RPGMaker VX/XP formatting for the initial import.

Nowhere did I say you needed to install RPGMaker or even use it. Just lay our input graphics out like RPGMaker chipsets do:

Okay, understood! Now, is there an exact specific order these tiles need to be laid out, as it appears is the case in all of those tile sets you've posted, or can I lay them out in any order as long as they are unique?
In response to Ter13
I actually was born knowing how to draw. lol But I get what you mean. JUST DO IT.

And 47? Hory Sheet. I've been doing it wrong all this time.
Page: 1 2 3 4