In response to Lummox JR
yes but you do go about dealing with people the wrong way, you nag them into a position where they have no escape.. also you make statements and then flee.

In other words you fuel the fire which angers people. which is really no better than spamming.

Here is an exact response in my email.

I agree with you.

I've noticed the problems in recent months. Unfortunately, we have been so
busy with technical stuff that we haven't had enough time to devote to the
community.

We will have a discussion with the mods and also remove the anonymity,

so hopefully that will help things out. In the meantime, please refrain from
arguing with any of the mods. I can understand the desire, given the insults,

but the best thing for now is to just let things die down until we can find a
good remedy.

Regards,

Tom>

Read this for yourself.
Sun. Aug 04 10:38 a rogue moderator is deleting posts and blocking them
after posting insults and flames to avoid arguments. using opinion, and not
forum rules to enforce punishments..>
THIS IS NOT THE WAY FORUM MODERATORS SHOULD BE.> > >
In response to Dareb
Dareb wrote:

Read this for yourself.
Sun. Aug 04 10:38 a rogue moderator is deleting posts and blocking them
after posting insults and flames to avoid arguments. using opinion, and not
forum rules to enforce punishments..>
THIS IS NOT THE WAY FORUM MODERATORS SHOULD BE.> > >

Well hell, I agree with that. Now if we can just find a forum where that is happening we'll go clean it up.
In response to Flick
uh. it did happen..

and not having done it before is no excuse for a mod.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
In social studies we discussed this, the name America came from some philosopher who a bit before the Vikings said there was another land mass and that it would prove the world was round....

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Dareb
Really, so how many countries has Canada tried to help?

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
I have no idea, i wouldnt bat an eye if Canada's government changed as long as it didnt effect me negatively. The reason why I chose Clumsy, is because Americans have the technology to avoid shooting friendly targets and choose not to use it.
In response to Dareb
Dareb wrote:
yes but you do go about dealing with people the wrong way, you nag them into a position where they have no escape.. also you make statements and then flee.

As opposed to that thread a week or so ago when, once you started losing the argument, you started trying desperately (and much too late) to take it to e-mail?
I haven't fled from any arguments as far as I'm aware. In the post before this I was willing to leave it where it was for the sake of not starting a huge angry discussion on it.

I think what really bothers you is the "no escape" part.

In other words you fuel the fire which angers people. which is really no better than spamming.

Actually that's a lot better than spamming, especially if a person isn't doing it intentionally. The point in my posts is not to rile you up.

Here is an exact response in my email.

I agree with you.
[snip]

And this is what you said he agreed with:
a rogue moderator is deleting posts and blocking them after posting insults and flames to avoid arguments. using opinion, and not forum rules to enforce punishments
THIS IS NOT THE WAY FORUM MODERATORS SHOULD BE.

I think Tom's statement was to the effect that if this was happening, it's wrong.
Yet you conceded in the opening sentence of this post that, as I said, I did not use insults and flames against you (not in a couple of months, anyway). You said earlier in this thread that I'd insulted and flamed you, and that's what you said in your e-mail, but as Flick pointed out, that hasn't actually happened. I certainly wouldn't do such a thing to avoid an argument, either. The record shows crystal clearly that my only compunction toward arguing with you is trying to do so while keeping the forums as flame-free as possible.

I'd also like you to explain how it was that the moderator actions of yesterday violated forum rules by closing your threads, and by deleting Dracon's many spammy posts. Indeed your posts were practically spam themselves, since they were gratuitously arguing with the moderator's actions that had nothing to do with you, they got in the way of dealing with Dracon, and you posted about 3 of them.
"Opinion" was only levied in determining which posts merited deletion, and you'll notice not all of Dracon's posts--even some of the Dic Bahl ones--were removed. But that's judgment, not opinion as such; and good judgment is what moderators are expected to use. So far, every moderator has agreed with those deletions and with closing the threads.

The only action yesterday that could be argued against was the series of replies to you. You asked questions, though, and they got answered, so if anyone has any right to complain about them, I'd say it probably isn't you.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
please try to keep your responses small.

thank you
In response to Dareb
Dareb wrote:
I have no idea, i wouldnt bat an eye if Canada's government changed as long as it didnt effect me negatively. The reason why I chose Clumsy, is because Americans have the technology to avoid shooting friendly targets and choose not to use it.

No technology exists to completely render civilians safe, while still hurting the enemy--the only way to do that is not to fight, particularly when the enemy is hiding among a civilian population (a violation of the Geneva Convention).

As Lexy pointed out, there's nothing high about our friendly-fire rate. Such incidents are fairly rare. I wouldn't say extremely rare, since friendly fire does happen in war and more frequently than anyone would like (that is, not at all). Our weaponry is the most sophisticated and precise in the world, by several orders of magnitude, yet is still vulnerable to human error.

If you're referring at all to the recent friendly-fire incident against Canadian troops, the full information hasn't come in on that, but it looks a lot like there were screw-ups on both sides. The US air commanders didn't know there were training exercises going on there, and apparently the Canadian military didn't follow through in communicating what they were doing. And you know, these things happen--particularly when bureaucracies are involved. It's an awful thing to have happened, and very likely avoidable, but then most such incidents are.

It's just impossible to keep friendly and civilian casualties to zero--but we try, and we succeed a long shot better than anyone else in the world. Anyone, that is, who does actual fighting.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I think that If this turns into a full fledge war, You'll see the true heart of Canadian troops and civilians.

Also, a quick (but bloody) end to this current situation would be, the next terrorist attack on american soil. give all civilians plane tickets and a gun.

boom. end of the war. but that would also cause other problems which is why nobody has actually considered it. but it is a rather interesting thought.
In response to Dareb
You do know about 60% of the civilians in America don't know how to properly use/reload a gun right? You also know about 35%(Off the top guesses) are against guns, so this idea would be detested on the exact moment it was mentioned.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
i know, but the thought is a fascinating one.
In response to Dareb
Dareb wrote:
please try to keep your responses small.

I do; but I did have some things to say in response that couldn't be kept too small there, and you provided new information by posting both those e-mails, so some of that went unsaid in earlier posts for want of facts to go on. (And some of it went repeated, for want of full acknowledgement.)
Conciseness isn't a skill of mine, but I do try.

Lummox JR
Page: 1 2 3