ID:1923997

...getting sucked into Hearthstone. My son has been playing, so I downloaded it, and it seems to be pretty decent, and looks like its something I could enjoy without dropping a ton of cash. I'm sure I COULD drop lots of money into it, but it looks light enough that I could avoid that and still have fun.

Any horror stories to keep me from spending a few months getting sucked into it?

EDIT: And yeah, I know I'm a year or two late. So sue me...
Well if you play it it will probably make your son stop playing. Well atleast that's what happens in the shows/movies.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Well if you play it it will probably make your son stop playing. Well atleast that's what happens in the shows/movies.

Nah, we play a few games together. I sort of trained him to like some of the older games, so we play AoEII, Diablo, Dungeon Keeper, etc.
spent over a thousand on that damn game it's a little pay to win because you get to avoid the grind. It's the best game for smart phones that's for sure something not boring to-do while AFK
In response to Dakumonki
Dakumonki wrote:
spent over a thousand on that damn game

Definitely won't be doing that... I'm looking to spend about $0.

it's a little pay to win because you get to avoid the grind.

Well, for card games, I look at 'the grind' more as 'play-testing and finessing my deck', so I don't know if that bothers me a ton.

It's the best game for smart phones that's for sure something not boring to-do while AFK

I don't have a phone...

In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
I don't have a phone...

Is this even possible in 2015?

Atleast a tablet.

It's really difficult and time consuming for new players to properly get into the game. The current meta (popular strategies and decks) involves the use of a lot of cards that you can only get from the solo adventures and packs.
Well, I've got four laptops and a tablet at the house, and two others at the house have phones, but I got rid of my phone a few years ago. I'll probably get another one at some point, but for now, meh... Doesn't bother me.
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
four laptops

Hahahah. It's funny because I don't have one and I really wanna play Bloodbourne!

:[
In response to Flick
My phone flips. Essentially, it's an item to suck money and electrical charge with the occasional received miscall to the recycled number.
Hearthstone makes people 90% of the time become a casual.
Hardcore till I dieeeee

Alright, well that's the most successful attempt so far, though to be fair, you did try to talk me into getting sucked into another game ;) I'd definitely noticed the substantial variation in identical cost cards, even though I don't really have that many cards yet. Deckbuilding has been pretty limited so far... I've only spent a couple hours playing around with it.

Yut Put wrote:
MTG cards are worth enough for you to just buy 1 and sit at the card shop reselling rare cards and leave with 15 packs by the time you're done(true story that's happened to me)

I used to make quite a bit of money selling singles on e-bay. I think 4th edition had just come out when I started, and I could still get revised packs relatively cheap. Within a year or so, there were about five more sets out and I was over it...

Thanks for the info.
Yut Put wrote:
There's this indie card game called Epic coming out that had a successful kickstarter and its cards are essentially the opposite of what Hearthstone's cards are. Every single card can do a variety of things. Even the simple, no-cost cards have multiple abilities they can cast. By giving the low-end cards tons of value, the game becomes so much deeper and therefore more interesting/diverse to play.

That does look pretty sweet. I might have to order a set.
Yeah, MTG has become basically pay to win by my standards. Used to love it, but new set after set would water down the game even more, and it became a game where the majority recycle the same decks and strategies and ... yeah. Unless one of my family is playing online with me, it's no more fun.
In response to FKI
UUmmm magic the gathering has always been pay to win... it's a tcg where you buy shite for rare cards...
In response to Ghost of ET
Not at all. You paid to play the game. You didn't have to buy the latest and greatest cards to be a factor (and even now you don't HAVE TO, but it's practically suicide if you don't give in). Now that's all it's about. The game was leveled whether you were a high roller or not, you just needed to know how to finesse the cards at your disposal.

But I doubt you have anything substantial to say based on your response, so I won't be back here. Already added my 2 cents to the bill anyway.
Yut Put wrote:
hearthstone is also flawed at some pretty fundamental levels. You'll have one card that costs 5 mana and has 5 attack and 5 toughness, and then another card with 5 mana 6 attack and 5 toughness. Due to the fact that one card is objectively better than another in the most simple way, there is no reason to ever use the former card in your deck if you have the latter. In a perfect world, all cards in a TCG are balanced in value. MTG strives to do this, and it allows for great diversity and fun with deckbuilding. Hearthstone fails to do it in the most basic ways.

The only reason I'm going to bother to correct you is because I know you're passionate about game design.

You don't have a deep enough understanding of how cards go in and out of the meta. It's not as simple as "oh, this card has more health and damage, and costs less than that other card, therefore X card is better than Y".

I haven't played HS in a while so I can't think of cards that have these stats off the top of my head, but let's just say for a moment you have two cards with these stats:

5 Health, 7 Attack, 5 Mana
5 Health, 6 Attack, 5 Mana

You're looking at these two cards asking yourself "why on Earth would I ever pay 5 mana for the card with 6 attack in this situation when I can obviously get more bang for my buck by going with the 7 attack card?"

The answer is

When you're playing in a meta where there are tons of people playing a specific class or card, there come times where it makes a lot more sense to play a seemingly lesser value card just so you can play around popular card X. To give another example, back when the game was still new, Priests were running rampant for two reasons: Shadow Words, and Mind Control ( which was much stronger at that time ). As you probably already know, cards with 4 attack aren't affected by Shadow Words. Because of the sheer prevalence of asshats running those ridiculously OP control Priest decks, it was almost always a good idea to run several 4 attack minions regardless if their stats were inferior to other cards with the same mana cost because:

- It couldn't be shadow worded
- 4 attack minions aren't game changing enough to make Mind Control a threat

Hearthstone has balance issues, but just not in the way you were describing. If you wanted to use an example of poor balance in Hearthstone, all you had to do was mention this piece of shit:

Bear in mind, another reason why stats, specifically attack, aren't really relevant when deciding value in cards is because the most you ever really need is 4 attack. You should subscribe to Kripparian for more insight on this, but generally, if you have 4 attack, you can kill most things in the game either with the 4 attack, or the 4 attack + 1 other minion attacking. This is why it's not a big deal to focus on minions with higher attack because usually at that point it's just overkill at the cost of being a BGH target or easily removed by a spell ( most high attack minions have low health ).

Block or take the damage? Spend your mana now or later? Hold on to this instant? These are all questions you don't need to think about in hearthstone, dramatically decreasing the fun of the game.

Lol. It's very obvious you either didn't play enough Hearthstone or never bothered to attempt to play it at a competitive level. At least in Hearthstone I'm able to do something every turn. In MTG you can go 5 turns without being able to do jackshit just because your lands are sitting toward the bottom of the deck. Let's count how many players have won games of MTG not because they were the more skilled player, but because their opponent needed 1 or 2 more lands to win the game and never got them. Even the players at the top competitive level in MTG admit the game is heavily influenced by chance so I don't know why you're complaining about RNG in Hearthstone.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Yut Put wrote:
hearthstone is also flawed at some pretty fundamental levels. You'll have one card that costs 5 mana and has 5 attack and 5 toughness, and then another card with 5 mana 6 attack and 5 toughness. Due to the fact that one card is objectively better than another in the most simple way, there is no reason to ever use the former card in your deck if you have the latter. In a perfect world, all cards in a TCG are balanced in value. MTG strives to do this, and it allows for great diversity and fun with deckbuilding. Hearthstone fails to do it in the most basic ways.

The only reason I'm going to bother to correct you is because I know you're passionate about game design.

You don't have a deep enough understanding of how cards go in and out of the meta. It's not as simple as "oh, this card has more health and damage, and costs less than that other card, therefore X card is better than Y".

I haven't played HS in a while so I can't think of cards that have these stats off the top of my head, but let's just say for a moment you have two cards with these stats:

5 Health, 7 Attack, 5 Mana
5 Health, 6 Attack, 5 Mana

You're looking at these two cards asking yourself "why on Earth would I ever pay 5 mana for the card with 6 attack in this situation when I can obviously get more bang for my buck by going with the 7 attack card?"

The answer is

Yut Put wrote:
hearthstone is also flawed at some pretty fundamental levels. You'll have one card that costs 5 mana and has 5 attack and 5 toughness, and then another card with 5 mana 6 attack and 5 toughness.

Wanted to point that out cause it was funny, but i do understand what you're saying :].
Page: 1 2