ID:192484

Hey all, I'm still alive!

I just wanted to show you what I've been busy with. I would greatly appreciate any comments. Take a listen to my latest song, and let me know what you think!

http://www.allhands.com/redwire/say_no.mp3

It's about 90% finished... just needing a little something in the middle.
I like it, Skysaw, especially that transition in the middle. Sounds like Ric Ocasek on vocals .. is that you?
Hey thats pretty great.
I like... kind of like if Shirley Manson and David Bowie had a baby.

(Does it annoy you that non-musical people can only describe your work in terms of other people's?)
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I like it, Skysaw, especially that transition in the middle. Sounds like Ric Ocasek on vocals .. is that you?

Thanks!

Yes, it is me singing, as well as doing everything else, except the drums which are liscenced loops (although I do massage them a bit).

I was proud of my bass playing since I've never actually played bass on anything before. I just bought the bass about a month ago, and the song came out of the groovy little riff you can hear throughout.

If you want to hear what else I've been doing lately, check out my Red Wire Page.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Lesbian Assassin wrote:
I like... kind of like if Shirley Manson and David Bowie had a baby.

(Does it annoy you that non-musical people can only describe your work in terms of other people's?)

No, it doesn't annoy me. At least I sound like somewhere between two people to you, rather than like one particular person ;-)

Actually, I'm mostly concerned with being compared to people who in my opinion suck. Since I'm a big Bowie fan, I'm ok with it, hehe. Actually, I don't know who Shirley Manson is, but I'll accept the whole picture anyway.

Thanks for listening!
In response to Skysaw
My first impressions: Excellent groove, great vocal harmonies, nice job all around. It's not quite my usual style, but this has such a nice and easy groove that I could see myself listening to it over and over (which I may very well do). One bit of constructive criticism: seems like it could be a little bit tighter overall. I'm assuming this is kind of a first rough cut, in which case it's great and that's no matter anyway. ;-)

Skysaw wrote:
Yes, it is me singing, as well as doing everything else, except the drums which are liscenced loops (although I do massage them a bit).

Ok, I'm jealous. I can't sing worth a crap but sometimes I wish I could. As it is, I think it's a crime in at least four states for me to attempt it.

I was proud of my bass playing since I've never actually played bass on anything before. I just bought the bass about a month ago, and the song came out of the groovy little riff you can hear throughout.

Now I'm really jealous. A bass has been pretty high on my wishlist for some time now. I've been getting along pretty well with some good bass patches on my synthesizers, but nothing beats the real thing (baby).

<font color=black>Of course, now I'm tempted to link to the music I've been up to lately, but it's tacky to latch onto someone else's thread so I won't. ;-)</font>
In response to Skysaw
Lead singer of Garbage.
In response to Air Mapster
Air Mapster wrote:
Ok, I'm jealous. I can't sing worth a crap but sometimes I wish I could. As it is, I think it's a crime in at least four states for me to attempt it.

All states for me.. Actually world-wide!

RaeKwon
Air Sapster wrote:

I can sing really good, at least that's what everyone I know says, but as for everything else, I suck (except piano, I can play my own weird songs on that). I was in a band for a while, but got a real job and had to quit.

Air Mapster wrote:
My first impressions: Excellent groove, great vocal harmonies, nice job all around. It's not quite my usual style, but this has such a nice and easy groove that I could see myself listening to it over and over (which I may very well do). One bit of constructive criticism: seems like it could be a little bit tighter overall. I'm assuming this is kind of a first rough cut, in which case it's great and that's no matter anyway. ;-)

Thanks for your ear!

It's not really my usual style either, but that seems to change with every song I write. As to it being tighter, it will slowly get that way as I finish up the song. There are a few things that need to be re-recorded, and a lot of mixing to do. Not that it won't be left a little bit loose when it's done. I kind of like it like that.

Skysaw wrote:

I'm never happy with my singing, and will probably re-sing the whole thing at some point. I'm not trained at all in voice, and the only thing that saves me is my sense of pitch and phrasing. I usually cringe when I hit playback, though.

Now I'm really jealous. A bass has been pretty high on my wishlist for some time now. I've been getting along pretty well with some good bass patches on my synthesizers, but nothing beats the real thing (baby).

Yeah, I was tired of fake bass, and had done everything to avoid it, short of actually buying a real one and playing it myself. I've used synth bass, sampled cellos, had someone else play bass, and even left it out all together. A lot of my music doesn't necessarily need a bass, but when it does, I now have my sweet black Fender Squier to play with. :)

Basses really aren't that expensive, especially if you don't need a top-of-the-line one (as I didn't). Go out and treat yourself!
Hehe I like it =) and I dont like alot of music.