ID:192610

Here's a little conversation between me and Dareb referring to 2 icons. He copyrighted his icon of a dagger with poison at the tip, and I have mine (which you can see as the worship Mardul icon in A Game of Kings). I can't provide the icons here for viewing, lest Dareb get all pissed off even more.

<--(1:30 pm) Dareb: i have alot of spare time and am usually bored.. i could make alot of money for every single use of an icon that belongs to me. over time it would be hunderes, eventually thousands id be losing. thats why its important. thats why it wouldnt be a waste of time..
<--(1:30 pm) Dareb: i made the icon on byond.. never said it would only be used there
<--(1:34 pm) Dareb: im not trying to be a prick, im trying to defend my property online. i have a legal right to that.
-->(1:36 pm) Dareb: Actually, it's coming off as you simply being a prick for attempting to sue me for showing off an icon I made which has about 0 resemblance to your icon
<--(1:37 pm) Dareb: it has a large resembland. yours just happens to have a jeweled hilt, and spines. blood instead of poison..

quite simply, you have no right to use that. and nobody you give that to has the right to use, trade, or edit it.. neither do you.. this entire conversation is being monitored.
-->(1:40 pm) Dareb: Also, mine isn't the same design as yours. It is straight for the first 3/4 then tapers on the last 1/4. I'm pretty sure that's enough different to get you to go away?
<--(1:41 pm) Dareb: no. you will not use that icon or i will press charges, end of story
<--(1:42 pm) Dareb: you will not use that icon, trade it, or edit it in any way, you will destroy it and tell everyone who you gave it to , to destroy it, not to edit it, and not to trade it.
-->(1:50 pm) Dareb: Let me put this simply to you. Here are the similarities: they're both daggers, they're both pointing to the bottom left, they both have something on the end. Here are the differences: Mine has a different hilt (jeweled, or in the case of my unadorned icon, black) a different design (as I sexplained to you earlier) blood dripping instead of poison, and is serrated. If you took this to court there woudl be no way you could win because you can't expect to win a copyright case against something that looks SOMEWHAT like your thing. I say you should drop it since you're just making yourself look like an idiot.
<--(1:52 pm) Dareb: its been done.. now your blocked. prepare your icon i already have

That's not the whole conversation, but I think you get the idea. Can you believe this guy?
heres the whole conversation

-->(4:13 pm) Garthor: unfortunately or you what your doing is plaguerism, doesnt matter if you stole from me or made it from scratch, it resembles MY OLD ICON

you must cease using that icon or i will demand payment for each use.

If you fail to cease and fail to pay, i will press charges if you are too young to be charged your guardians will be.

<--(4:14 pm) Garthor: are you really that serious about a simple icon I made that just happens to be of the same weapon of an icon that you made?
-->(4:16 pm) Garthor: yes. if anything remotely resembles any icon i make ill demand it not be used
<--(4:19 pm) Garthor: Then go talk to Jon Snow, he's the one who's using it, not me. And frankly, I doubt you'd even sue me, considering it would be a waste of everyone's time
-->(4:22 pm) Garthor: i have alot of spare time and am usually bored.. i could make alot of money for every single use of an icon that belongs to me. over time it would be hunderes, eventually thousands id be losing. thats why its important. thats why it wouldnt be a waste of time..
-->(4:22 pm) Garthor: i made the icon on byond.. never said it would only be used there
-->(4:24 pm) Jon Snow: Garthor says that you made a dagger icon with dripping blood..

I demand you cease the use of it immediately. the icon resembles my original and copywritten property.

You can choose to continue using it, but i will demand payment.. If you refuse to pay you will be charged with plaguerism for backpayment, and future uses.
-->(4:26 pm) Garthor: im not trying to be a prick, im trying to defend my property online. i have a legal right to that.
<--(4:28 pm) Garthor: Actually, it's coming off as you simply being a prick for attempting to sue me for showing off an icon I made which has about 0 resemblance to your icon
-->(4:29 pm) Garthor: it has a large resembland. yours just happens to have a jeweled hilt, and spines. blood instead of poison..

quite simply, you have no right to use that. and nobody you give that to has the right to use, trade, or edit it.. neither do you.. this entire conversation is being monitored.
<--(4:32 pm) Garthor: Also, mine isn't the same design as yours. It is straight for the first 3/4 then tapers on the last 1/4. I'm pretty sure that's enough different to get you to go away?
-->(4:33 pm) Garthor: no. you will not use that icon or i will press charges, end of story
-->(4:34 pm) Garthor: you will not use that icon, trade it, or edit it in any way, you will destroy it and tell everyone who you gave it to , to destroy it, not to edit it, and not to trade it.
<--(4:42 pm) Garthor: Let me put this simply to you. Here are the similarities: they're both daggers, they're both pointing to the bottom left, they both have something on the end. Here are the differences: Mine has a different hilt (jeweled, or in the case of my unadorned icon, black) a different design (as I sexplained to you earlier) blood dripping instead of poison, and is serrated. If you took this to court there woudl be no way you could win because you can't expect to win a copyright case against something that looks SOMEWHAT like your thing. I say you should drop it since you're just making yourself look like an idiot.
-->(4:44 pm) Garthor: its been done.. now your blocked. prepare your icon i already have

Thats the whole conversation.

In response to Dareb
Thanks, I changed games halfway through the conversation
In response to Garthor
Who cares.......
In response to Dareb
I demand you cease the use of it immediately. the icon resembles my original and copywritten property.

Copyrighted. "Copywriting" is what people do on Madison Avenue.
You can't copyright an idea, and a "dagger with a poisoned tip" is an idea.

Trying to sue someone for making something that looks like something they made is pointless. If that were possible, then you could sue everyone in existance who ever drew a graphic of a brick wall.
In response to Foomer
Actually, he had the icon, it wasn't an idea. It was a dagger with a poisoned tip. Or rather, green stuff on the end, which I assume is poison.
In response to Garthor
The only thing that would be worth suing over is if you were using his icon (or an obvious edit of his icon) without his permission. Even then, it's still not worth suing over, but it's more reasonable.

(If someone threatened to sue me over ridiculous terms, I'd be more inclined to pagerban/block them than worry about it.)
In response to Foomer
I know, but I feel that everyone deserves to know that Dareb is insane =)
In response to Foomer
I know, but I feel that everyone deserves to know that Dareb is insane =)
In response to Foomer
cant copywrite an idea, but my dagger is property. so nuts to you.

its not an idea if its been created.
and its a graphical icon.

thats like saying disney cant copyright MICKEY MOUSE.

foomer for once you are wrong,
In response to Dareb
That means you can't make a mouse named "Mickey". Disney can't sue you for having a mouse named "Joe".
In response to Foomer
foomer.. if you lost a dime a day to some person stealing from you for 2 years that would come up to 72 dollars. and i consider my icons worth that. Your right its not worth suing. but as time progresses that will appreciate in value after 10 years it would be worth sueing. and by then i wouldnt care.. it doesnt really matter. i simply demanded that he stop using the icon he refused. i expect the 1 dime a day. so long as the icons used.
In response to Foomer
that was a very weak statement, also not true.. you cant have the character even resemble micky mouse, even if its named something else.
In response to Dareb
My argument is no weaker than yours, I'm afraid.
In response to Dareb
Then why don't you go sue Skysaw for having a knife icon with poison on it?
In response to Garthor
only slightly..
its true i am insane but i know my rights.. im insane in ways of the actions i would take to solve problems.. what prevents me from going through with things is the law or morales. so im just as insane as any of you. i just dont lie to myself
In response to Garthor
Its not even remotely similar
In response to Dareb
Well, it's a knife, which is pretty much the same as a dagger. It's got poison on the end. It's gray. Just as different as your icon and mine.
In response to Foomer
tell me then

even though my icons are worth 72 dollars every 2 years - each. (without permission)

what is the boundary , the value of profit loss where it would make sense to sue? or does your law magically disapear when it comes to byond?
Page: 1 2 3 4