ID:1933140

Poll: What offenses were you guilty of when you were a lowly little BYOND noob?

Thought you knew everything about game development. 13% (5)
Pointed out the obvious and acted like you were the only one who knew. 8% (3)
Actively defended the design elements of games like GOA and Zeta. 5% (2)
Didn't read the Blue Book for the first few months. 16% (6)
Wrote a punching bag object. 8% (3)
Started flame wars... a lot. 5% (2)
Ripped and copied a source code with minimal effort. 30% (11)
Ever signed your name at the bottom of a forum post. 11% (4)

Login to vote.

Most of us were (and some still are) just awful people years ago when we were first starting our BYOND adventures to becoming better game developers. I'm just curious if anyone's willing to admit the stupidest thing they did when they first became a part of the community.

I think it's always fun to look back on yourself years ago and just see how much you've grown and changed. I know when I look back at my old accounts, I cringe in horror, thinking how much I'd like to slap the shit out of that kid. Admittedly, I was a huge, pretentious douche but fortunately I've become much more carefree and helpful! But I guess that's just growing up. But still, I don't think my 14-year-old self got enough beatings.

The last element is a bit of a bonus, but it's just one of the most pretentious things I've ever seen (or done) on a forum.
I created a target dummy for a Naruto fan game.

I know, I'm horrible.
In response to Bravo1
You monster...
I started out copying code and repurposing it, learning what I could in the process (which wasn't much, as these were leaked material).

Once my desire to advance burned with a passion, I started writing my own. In the early days, I was often guilty of infinite loops with no delay. It wasn't until 2 or 3 years in that I started programming with some sense, thanks to taking notes from the various members here.
In response to FKI
I need to gain your passion so I can become better t-t
I used to sign my posts with
flick()

back before dm tags caused the code to be enclosed in a box.
Fuck, I wish I could select multiple answers. I both thought I knew everything about game developement, nor did I read the blue book for months. Still haven't done a complete read-through, honestly.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Fuck, I wish I could select multiple answers. I both thought I knew everything about game developement, nor did I read the blue book for months. Still haven't done a complete read-through, honestly.

I still haven't ever read the guide. Shame me, fam.
I started a guild called BYOND Conquerors only about a year or two after joining which took a vote on top BYOND developers to get an interview. It was stupid, and rightly criticized.

For some reason I really looked up to BYOND developers that were "well known", and I wanted to become like them. So BYOND Conquerors was more like me sucking up to them and trying to make a name for myself than anything, which was stupid. People like Silkwizard would just laugh at me when I talked about wanting to be like these developers or do some good for the community -- and rightly so because all I was doing was making crappy fan games at the time. Eventually I started making decent fan games, and then original games, but that wasn't until much later.

I guess I had a good heart, but I was an idiot.
I too, like Fugsnarf, looked up to the older, more known, game developers. In an effort to reach their status I'd sit in chatrooms, offer advice on the forums, and eventually got people into beleving that I knew the ins and outs, for the most part, of dm.

I never completed projects and it was a waste of time, so I left and worked with Unity3D.

Lesson learned, who cares what others think. Make games and have fun doing so!
Didn't read the Blue Book for the first few months.
or like 10+ years :[
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
I need to gain your passion so I can become better t-t

Keep doing you and you'll get there. I didn't have anything close to DVO in my early years, so I'd say you're on the right track. Just remain open to any and all criticism, as there is some truth in all of it.

Much love.
I've done all of the above, and also "published" to the site interviews that sometimes contained highly inappropriate or baiting questions.
I have and always will be Dan's gift to this site. Perfect in every way.
There's a reason I made a new key(morethanonce) - I couldn't even take my nubiness with dignity.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
There's a reason I made a new key(morethanonce) - I couldn't even take my nubiness with dignity.

You can't escape Pokemon Magma Red by Mechana2412
In response to Rocknet
I wasn't involved with PMR until sometime after it became Pokemon Aurora. Even then i was already under Kumorii when PAU was given to me, though.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
I wasn't involved with PMR until sometime after it became Pokemon Aurora. Even then i was already under Kumorii when PAU was given to me, though.

not being one of the OG Enforcers

Literally trash son.
If I met 2001-2010 Ter13, I'd kick the living shit out of him.
Ngr pls. I think I was Mech's "VING" or something along those lines.
Page: 1 2 3