ID:1936051

I'm not sure why but im taking java and c++ programming classes on top of my medical classes req. And i was doing little codes in c++ and i found i liked a lot better than java not sure why maybe it's because of System.out.print <--- needing system to be caps.
Yeah, Java functions can be really obnoxious. I think the only reason it's really offered (particularly to incoming college freshmen) is because the AP exam (at least, in the U.S.) uses Java. To be fair, you wouldn't get away with using

cout << "text"

If you hadn't done using namespace std; at the start though
Uhh the AP exams are based on material covered in college courses, not the other way around.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Uhh the AP exams are based on material covered in college courses, not the other way around.

Ehh, it's a chicken and egg issue. Most of the computer science professors I talk to say that they'd much rather skip Java as an introductory course and go straight to C++ or Fortran. But the issue comes about from the people setting the exams not actually being part of the institutions that a student would transition to. College Board is not a college. It's an organization to help people get through college.

So did College Board set up AP exams to be in Java to match colleges, or did Colleges set up courses to be Java so that they can accept the AP credit? I'd bet some colleges offered Java first and as other colleges wanted to accept AP credit to be more appealing, they added Java courses.
You'll usually thank Java for existing when you start working with outsourced Indian contractors.

The explicit, oft-enforced belts and braces approach and a generally steeper cliff preventing you shooting yourself in the foot compared to C++, is a god-send when you're integrating with code someone ... less disciplined ... wrote.

As a hobby though, I dunno, I'd probably have just done with something higher level either way than Java or C++, unless I particularly had a penchant for systems programming.

At a professional level though, if you're remotely competent then you can probably do either anyway. So it's all a bit tomayto, tomahto with regards to which you learn first.
Thanks for the help <3!!!
I think they're both great languages and ideally you'd probably learn both of them for just more completeness in your programming knowledge. Java is natively cross-platform, though, which does sell a lot into its favor. I mostly prefer C++, though. The syntax is a bit nicer, but that's purely subjective.
Learn Swift
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Learn Swift