ID:193736

Giles(sings): I've got a theory... that it's a demon... some kind of dancing demon, no something isn't right.
Willow(sings): I've got a theory... somebody's dreamin'... and we're stuck inside his whacky broadway nightmare.
(Tara does jazz hands)
Xander(sings): I've got a theory that we should work this out...
Scooby Gang Chorus(sings): It's getting eerie, what's this cheery singing all about?
Anya(sings): I've got a theory... maybe it's bunnies.

Episode's Surprising Twists:
Amber Benson (Tara) sings surprisingly well.
James Marsters (Spike) doesn't.
And a special cameo by Phil Hartman who turns out to be the Evil One himself! heheehee....
HOLY LESBIAN SEX, BATMAN!!!

Did anybody else almost see what I almost saw???
In response to Xooxer
Um, you do realize that I wasn't joking about anything in the original post?
In response to LexyBitch
Uhhh...um... (trying not to seem like an idiot) Yeah, I knew that!
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:
HOLY LESBIAN SEX, BATMAN!!!

WHERE?!?!

Did anybody else almost see what I almost saw???

What did you almost see?
In response to Nadrew
If you didn't see it the first time, you'll probably never see it... this episode was 15 minutes longer than normal and contained explicit language and some rather um, evocative sexual imagery. If they ever do re-run it, it'll have to be with serious cuts, and I'm sure the scene to which I refer will be one of the ones that gets axed.
In response to LexyBitch
Well I don't get the channel that Buffy comes on, so I didn't get to see it. I need cable =(
In response to Nadrew
I don't even have a television....although those kinds of shows don't really interest me anyways...
In response to Xooxer
From the recent things just told to me I would watch Buffy all the time ;)
In response to Xooxer
If you don't have a television, how do you know A) what kind of show Buffy is and B) whether or not it would interest you?
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Well I don't get the channel that Buffy comes on, so I didn't get to see it. I need cable =(

Thats incorrect mate *hehehe*

I have Sky Digital and I get to see Buffy on channel 106. So you dont really need to have cable to watch Buffy.

I used to watch it all the time but my little brother hogs the remote for Sky Digital and he watches cartoons mainly.

Lee

*Hopes to get to use the remote control for Sky Digital sometime...*
In response to LexyBitch
I may not have a television, but I do have eyeballs. I also have freinds. And some of them even have televisions! Buffy has been around for what, like, YEARS! Unless you live in a hole, you know what kind of show it is... Even if one has never seen the television show, I'm sure they've watched the movie or at least heard of it.... Was that post really necessary? I mean really... common frikin sense...

~Duh Xoox

I don't mean to sound mean... but I mean... well... nevermind...
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
From the recent things just told to me I would watch Buffy all the time ;)

Well, it takes more than a little titty to get me hooked on a show...
Although a lot of titty might persuade me to watch occasionally...
when I'm not eating or sleeping...
well, maybe when I'm eating...

hee hee hee...
In response to Xooxer
Common sense? You mean the kind of sense most everyone has? I'll pass on that one...

I didn't watch Buffy for years and years because I knew "what kind of show it was"... it was degrading to women and, being an attempt to commercialize on a cult movie, it was also degrading to art, and of course, it would be massively insulting to my intelligence.

You know what, though? I was wrong.

It's not degrading to women... it's empowering. The whole idea behind the series is the same as that of Wonder Woman/The Bionic Woman/The Flying Nun/Bewitched: women with power. Creator Joss Whedon (who is male, but knows more about "Girl Power" than any of the Spice Girls) describes the idea behind Buffy as being a horror movie version of "take back the night". He based the main character off a typical horror movie victim, except when this blonde cheerleader takes a wrong turn into a dark alley, it's the monster who's left lying on the ground.

Yes, boys (and some girls) watch Buffy to catch "a little titty," the same way they watched Wonder Woman when it was on... but they're missing the point. If you want to see stuff like that, there's a hundred shows that show more, more often... but when they do, it's a hell of a lot less powerful. The scene to which I alluded last night was actually quite tasteful... it made use of a technique known as "closure," which is where the cinematographer leads you up to a cliff and lets your own imagination jump you off of it... the same technique is what caused a generation of movie goers to swear they saw someone get stabbed in the shower scene in Psycho.

As far as being commercialized and devoid of art... that it isn't. It's exactly the opposite. The show is Whedon's creative vision, the movie (good in its own way though it was) was Hollywood's perversion of that. Joss very rarely has to compromise... this is not the first time he's been allowed to run episodes long to fit in all the story, and he's also been given leave to do stunts like have an episode that goes half an hour with no dialogue at all. You have eyes, so even if you don't watch TV, I'm sure you remember that about two years ago, everyone was throwing a ratings-grabbing "hot lesbian kiss" between two of their straight female chracters? That was the year that they introduced the lesbian characters to Buffy the Vampire Slayer... but it was done very subtly, very tastefully... no exploitation at all. They didn't even show actually show a kiss until the next season, and when they finally did, it was a) completely natural and integral to the scene and b) not mentioned anywhere on the promos for this very hyped episode.

As for being insulting to my intelligence... it isn't. It's clever, and I don't mean what TV Guide calls clever and invariably follows with "hip, and irreverent," as in, "[Every new Fall show] is clever, hip, and irreverent." I mean it's really clever. It follows the action hour formula, up to a point, but only so much that you think you know what's going to happen next. For instance, according to the formula, Tara, Willow's lesbian love interest, has been walking around with a big bullseye on her forehead since her first appearance. The show is layed out using more techniques from the world of graphic novels than television, so it even has a different look to it.

I could go on and on and on and on forever (I used to write A bi-weekly column where I analyzed Buffy stories and characters), but all I can really say is try watching the show. Don't be so sure you know what it's all about. I was... and when I'm sure of something, I am damn sure of it. I totally made fun of my friends for watching "that trash" for three seasons, only to find out, when I did more than glance at the screen and make a few wry comments, that I was missing something great.
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:
Common sense? You mean the kind of sense most everyone has? I'll pass on that one...

I meant the kind of sense that most intelligent people should have... I understand the basic stupidity of the human animal, so I guess common is truely the wrong word...

I didn't watch Buffy for years and years because I knew "what kind of show it was"... it was degrading to women and, being an attempt to commercialize on a cult movie, it was also degrading to art, and of course, it would be massively insulting to my intelligence.

You know what, though? I was wrong.

Well, I may be wrong (I usually am) as well, but I'm still not inclined to watch the show, nor am I about to run down to the pawn shop and buy a television simply becuase of one quality show. My distaste in this mater is more towards television in general. I prefer to indulge in fantasy through active participation, not passive zombification...

It's not degrading to women... it's empowering. The whole idea behind the series is the same as that of Wonder Woman/The Bionic Woman/The Flying Nun/Bewitched: women with power. Creator Joss Whedon (who is male, but knows more about "Girl Power" than any of the Spice Girls) describes the idea behind Buffy as being a horror movie version of "take back the night". He based the main character off a typical horror movie victim, except when this blonde cheerleader takes a wrong turn into a dark alley, it's the monster who's left lying on the ground.

I never suggested that it was degrading to anyone, nor that it was insulting to the intelligence of the viewer (although I admit, it probably was in the back of my mind somewhere). I can apprecieate the empowering factor of the show's characters, and I apluad Mr. Whedon for his valiant efforts to bring some tact to the approach. But nevertheless, I find no real desire to indulge in the futile. If I want to rot my brain on vain indugences, I can think of many good drugs that would be more benefitial...

Yes, boys (and some girls) watch Buffy to catch "a little titty," the same way they watched Wonder Woman when it was on... but they're missing the point. If you want to see stuff like that, there's a hundred shows that show more, more often... but when they do, it's a hell of a lot less powerful. The scene to which I alluded last night was actually quite tasteful... it made use of a technique known as "closure," which is where the cinematographer leads you up to a cliff and lets your own imagination jump you off of it... the same technique is what caused a generation of movie goers to swear they saw someone get stabbed in the shower scene in Psycho.

Actually, my comment was more for comic effect, than any real drive to scour the networks for "bussum brandishings." If I feel the need for some ego stroking (heh), I can think of plenty of websites for that sort of thing...

As far as being commercialized and devoid of art... that it isn't. It's exactly the opposite. The show is Whedon's creative vision, the movie (good in its own way though it was) was Hollywood's perversion of that. Joss very rarely has to compromise... this is not the first time he's been allowed to run episodes long to fit in all the story, and he's also been given leave to do stunts like have an episode that goes half an hour with no dialogue at all. You have eyes, so even if you don't watch TV, I'm sure you remember that about two years ago, everyone was throwing a ratings-grabbing "hot lesbian kiss" between two of their straight female chracters? That was the year that they introduced the lesbian characters to Buffy the Vampire Slayer... but it was done very subtly, very tastefully... no exploitation at all. They didn't even show actually show a kiss until the next season, and when they finally did, it was a) completely natural and integral to the scene and b) not mentioned anywhere on the promos for this very hyped episode.

As for being insulting to my intelligence... it isn't. It's clever, and I don't mean what TV Guide calls clever and invariably follows with "hip, and irreverent," as in, "[Every new Fall show] is clever, hip, and irreverent." I mean it's really clever. It follows the action hour formula, up to a point, but only so much that you think you know what's going to happen next. For instance, according to the formula, Tara, Willow's lesbian love interest, has been walking around with a big bullseye on her forehead since her first appearance. The show is layed out using more techniques from the world of graphic novels than television, so it even has a different look to it.

I could go on and on and on and on forever (I used to write A bi-weekly column where I analyzed Buffy stories and characters), but all I can really say is try watching the show. Don't be so sure you know what it's all about. I was... and when I'm sure of something, I am damn sure of it. I totally made fun of my friends for watching "that trash" for three seasons, only to find out, when I did more than glance at the screen and make a few wry comments, that I was missing something great.

I am certain I am not sure what it is all about, as I am likewise sure that I really don't give a rat's carcass either. My point is this, you may like it, and that's all well and good. Hell, I may even like it, I may even like crack cocain, but that doesn't mean I'm going out and buying an eightball...or a tv...

~Totally Pointless Xoox...yawn...