Resolved
Animations could cause a memory leak.
BYOND Version:509.1300
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic
Web Browser:Chrome 45.0.2454.93
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

After downloading the latest beta version, my game crashes every single time during the intro. I don't know how helpful this is but this is the Problem signature:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dreamseeker.exe
Application Version: 5.0.509.1300
Application Timestamp: 55fc476e
Fault Module Name: MSVCR120.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.21005.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 524f7ce6
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 000a7676
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 3dfe
Additional Information 2: 3dfe42999104dc01341a7c989d51c8ec
Additional Information 3: e485
Additional Information 4: e4850066181ace43082c1fb7ad0c9952

I am using TOPDOWN_MAP and I also noticed a bit of layer issues(probably because I have some things declared as TOPDOWN_LAYER and EFFECTS_LAYER) and some objects permanently disappearing from the screen. There's also no run-time errors.
I understand this is a bit vague but there is really nothing more to it. I didn't change any code or added anything different, if there's any way I can provide more info please let me know. Also as an added bonus, pressing F2 to take screenshots doesn't seem to work anymore.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Play the game, first scene you'll notice a bit of lagging(that didn't happen before) in the second scene it crashes every time and you also see an object in the middle of the screen disappear for no reason.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
The latest stable build works fine.

Workarounds:
None that I am aware of so far.
Because the crash is happening in a module we don't control, I'll need to see this in action for myself. What I'll need from you is a copy of your game source so I can compile and run it myself. You can send me a message with a link to the source.

Is there anything special I should know about how to get into the game? E.g. if you have a character creation screen, what's the quickest way through it?
In response to Lummox JR
Sent.
Good gads is that opening tedious to wait through. Is there no skip option? All I saw was a lot of memory growth, probably from the tremendous number of appearances from all the particles, but I couldn't get through that first scene because it took forever. Is there something I'm missing?

A skip option is crucial for any game with a strong story element, especially if you're using the effect of writing out text one character at a time. But even after it was all written, I swear it was pausing for like two minutes. How am I supposed to see it crash in the second scene if I can't make it through the prologue?
That's not supposed to happen the scene shouldn't pause for 2 minutes and the entire scene is not even more than 1 minute long, it's actually pretty quick with like 5 sentences of dialogue... Unless something else was happening it really shouldn't have taken more than a minute. I have a really old and crappy computer and it runs just fine. I do plan on adding a skip button but for right now there's no need for it.
Well it was taking me forever. Can't explain why, but it was. And the fact that it's taking forever is making the memory go way up, which is going to obscure the issue. I need to get through that scene in order to have any prayer of debugging this.

You need to add a skip button. It's critical, and I'm going to need it to proceed.
Sent you a new source.
Your new source has a different opening now--I'm seeing purple clouds, and not seeing the scene with the owl and the worlds and whatnot. But there's still no skip option. It's the same thing as before, just looking pretty but not giving me any way to interact with it.
There is no interaction, that's the scene that crashes as I wrote in the post. I'm not sure what is it you want exactly.
Although like I mentioned in the message I sent you with the source- the scene doesn't seem to crash anymore when you skip straight to it for some reason. Which is why I originally left both scenes in without skipping it so maybe you can tell me what the problem could be.

A lot of other weird stuff is still happening though, the orb disappears, there's this weird flashing on the screen and it's really really laggy.
I have no basis for comparison to tell what's different. I suspect your crash came from it eating so much memory.
The crash doesnt happen in the stable version... you can try that for comparison.
But again, I never got it to crash because it took forever to get through that first scene.
In response to Lummox JR
Okay Lummox so what should I do from here on? What can you suggest for me.
I'll try redownloading your previous file and see if I can make any headway on the memory issue. I assume that's the cause of the crash, and it doesn't make sense that it'd behave differently in 509.

However, it'd be best if you could reinstate that scene but add a proper skip option, which would give me way more flexibility in determining the cause of the problem. You need a skip anyway.
In response to Lummox JR
The thing is the scenes are what's crashing the game, what would be the point in skipping them?
I never got a crash the first time. If I had it play through partially and then skipped, maybe it still could.

You need a skip regardless. When I become a supervillain I'm going to criminalize making an unskippable cutscene.
Might this have something to do with resolution? :X Where dat HD monitor at lummo :X!

Also please respond to my pager message!
In response to Lummox JR
Haha I agree that scenes should be skippale and there will be a skip button in the future, but for now I think it would defeat the purpose of the report.
It's still kinda critical to helping me get anywhere with the report.
Just wanted to add: it doesn't have to be a polished option. Just a macro I can use would suffice.
Page: 1 2