ID:193976

I watched Dogma (Kevin Smith's 4th Jersey movie) today for the first time, as part of a Kevin Smith marathon leading up to a theatrical viewing of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back*. For anyone who hasn't seen it... funny, funny, funny movie. I'd have to say it's the second funniest apocalyptic supernatural comedy movie out there... after Good Omens, which probably won't be out for a couple years. But it's based on a very good book and being adapted by the one person who could possibly do it correctly**, so I'm very psyched.

*Yes, I'm aware that GLAAD doesn't approve of this film... but they haven't requested a boycott, so I can view the movie with a clean conscience. My views on gay-bashing, even "indirectly" (by using word refering to homosexuals as synonyms for "bad" or "stupid") are well-known and deeply-entrenched, but when the characters who use such dialogue have been shown in past continuity (and are no doubt being shown in current continuity) to be not-so-deeply repressed homosexuals themselves*** I consider the artistic merits of the use of the words.

**Surreal visionary and Monty Pythoner, Terry Gilliam.

***I have a theory about Jay and Silent Bob that suggests they are the elemental apotheoses of all Kevin Smith male duos. Each of the first three Jersey movies features two male characters: one quiet, pensive, and introspective, and one loud, obnoxious, womanizing, and harboring to varying degrees homosexual tendencies. These traits are mirrored and magnified in the persons of Silent Bob and Jay. They are, in essence, caricatures of carcicatures
Heh, I heard the theme song to that movie (not Dogma, the Strike Back one)... funny =) think it's called "But I Got High", which gives you a good idea what it was like. =)

I think its that movie...