ID:193999

In my recent search for a new server to put my games on, a few questions have popped up regarding what I need. The ones I can remember are as follows:

1. Does the server have to be "dedicated" counter to a "shared hosting" (the only two types I've come across)? Does that matter?
2. Can I host my games on pretty much any system that has shell access?
3. Basically, what all do I need in a server to host my games?

Thanks.
Cinnom wrote:
In my recent search for a new server to put my games on, a few questions have popped up regarding what I need. The ones I can remember are as follows:

1. Does the server have to be "dedicated" counter to a "shared hosting" (the only two types I've come across)? Does that matter?

Thanks.

I would like to know this also.
In response to Krazzle
Krazzle wrote:
Cinnom wrote:

Thanks.

I would like to know this also.

and so would i
Cinnom wrote:
Basically, what all do I need in a server to host my games?

You'll need to find a machine that allows you to run processes and open network ports. You'll then have to install the BYOND programs (or get them to do it for you, or ask us) and just run your games, similar to how you would use Dream Daemon on windows. A shell account will typically give you some ability to run programs, but I would at least inquire with the provider before you jump on board, since they might not want to relinquish part of their cpu to host your game. I would think that MUD providers in particular would be amenable to hosting BYOND games, since the overhead is similar.