ID:194070

JonSnow13 wrote:
you know, not everyone's as smart as you Lexy, for many different reasons, maybe we're just not that smart, or we haven't even gone through all our schooling yet!

Schooling has very little to do with intelligence. It can increase knowledge, but knowledge doesn't make you smart. A computer has lots of knowledge, but is not intelligent. A human infant has lots of intelligence, but little knowledge.

I don't judge people based on how many words they know, for instance, but how they use the words that they do. If you run around using (or overusing) words that you don't know the actual meaning of because you think it makes you sound more intelligent, you will earn my scorn. If you use a word that doesn't actually exist in a similar attempt to appear intelligent, you will likewise earn my scorn. Particularly if you're a person fond of touting your own intelligence, and deriding others.

Final note: the "mature" tone I'm sure you think your message above has is somewhat diminished due to the fact that the message it was a response to wasn't merely a petty belittling of someone else's intelligence, it was taking someone who was belittling a lot of people's intelligence down a peg.

Lord of Water is 12. I'm 21. Am I being hard on him? I don't think so. I'm merely holding him up to the standard he aspires to, with his "lordly" airs and talk of proper English. In time, he'll either actually attain that level of refinement he pretends to, or drop the pretense.
LexyBitch wrote:
A computer has lots of knowledge, but is not intelligent.

Personally, I'd say a computer has lots of information, but not knowledge.

(this is Babble, after all)
In response to Air Mapster
i just wanna say that, intelligence, knowledge, and education all mean the same thing to me. but of course that will all change the second i go back to school, but for now it stays......
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
i just wanna say that, intelligence, knowledge, and education all mean the same thing to me. but of course that will all change the second i go back to school, but for now it stays......

Of course they do. --pats FireKing on the head and gives him a cookie--
In response to LexyBitch
I -try- to use proper english.
I must admit, I don't spell check my posts. I only learned to type this year. I have not yet memorized the dictonary.

However, I am always trying to improve my english. I read books on english (my favorite: Woe is I), I read classics (Just finished The 3 Musketeers(3? 4?)) and I find 5 new words and use them every day.

This does not equal your feat of beating the English Language to the point that it bows to your knees, but it does make me a better reader and writer. I am aware that only experience will make me a better typer.
In response to LexyBitch
i cant wait till you die
tell me when you do, ok?

and before you die, write some more funny code like you did to robot01's post in creations....

Thanks
FIREking
In response to LexyBitch
you had no reason to do that, or say that, but anyways, who cares about three words? i dont give a flying f*ck about what their exact meaning is at the moment, i know that knowledge is stuff you know, intelligence is how well you can learn knowledge, and how much knowledge you could have, and education is gaining both knowledge and intelligence.

Giving me a cookie and patting me on the head is kind of like referring to me as a simple minded child who has no intelligence, nor knowledge, nor education which is not the fact.

Please, leave me alone Lexybitch, just know im 16, your 21, you have more intelligence, and maybe more knowledge, who knows, but dont bother me about it.....

And i know your going to flame this post, and i cant wait...

FIREking
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
i cant wait till you die
tell me when you do, ok?

FIREking, step back and think about what you just said.

Don't let your hatred own you. It takes a lot of energy to hate someone, and almost none to let go of it. Do yourself and your karma a favor, take a deep breath, and let it go.
In response to Skysaw

Don't let your hatred own you. It takes a lot of energy to hate someone, and almost none to let go of it. Do yourself and your karma a favor, take a deep breath, and let it go.

goddamn i hate hippys...
In response to Botman
Botman wrote:

goddamn i hate hippys...

LOL!

Ah well, I guess a hippy is anyone who uses the word "karma." Or who has learned to live life relatively stress-free.

You may call me whatever you like.
In response to Air Mapster
Air Mapster wrote:

It is interesting to note that the original meaning of information has changed. It is not a very old word, only having been coined with the invention of transatlantic telegraph.

The blunt of it is that the long underwater wires would pick up unknown static(radio waves from space) and mess up the teletype. so if you received part of a word such as AN it would contain a good deal of information, because it could be part of {an, and, andy, hand, man, clan, span,...}, but if you received AND then the set is so much smaller {and, andy, handy, tandy, randy,...}. I think that the term is: 'entropy increases'.

So, the term 'information' really does mean 'in formation'.

Can some one beat this to death please? correct me if I'm wrong in anyway.
In response to Ernie Dirt
Ernie Dirt wrote:
Air Mapster wrote:

It is interesting to note that the original meaning of information has changed. It is not a very old word, only having been coined with the invention of transatlantic telegraph.

The blunt of it is that the long underwater wires would pick up unknown static(radio waves from space) and mess up the teletype. so if you received part of a word such as AN it would contain a good deal of information, because it could be part of {an, and, andy, hand, man, clan, span,...}, but if you received AND then the set is so much smaller {and, andy, handy, tandy, randy,...}. I think that the term is: 'entropy increases'.

So, the term 'information' really does mean 'in formation'.

Can some one beat this to death please? correct me if I'm wrong in anyway.

Well, there's my history lesson for the day! Very cool! I hope it's right though, otherwise you just fed me a bunch of crap that I believed....I hate being gullable. :oS

Ashianna :oD
In response to Skysaw

u r a fish =)
In response to Botman
Botman wrote:

u r a fish =)

Actually since I am a Pisces, this is true. According to Eastern Astrology, I am a dragon. I kind of like being a fish-dragon.
In response to Skysaw
Actually since I am a Pisces, this is true. According to Eastern Astrology, I am a dragon. I kind of like being a fish-dragon.

Cool, I'm a Pisces as well, cept acording to Eastern Astrology, I'm a rat, a water rat I think. ^_^
In response to Botman
Cool, I'm a Pisces as well, cept acording to Eastern Astrology, I'm a rat, a water rat I think. ^_^

I'm a Scorpio, but I forget what Year of the [Miscellaneous Animal Name] I was born in.

I actually had a pamphlet on my birthdate and my astrological sign, but I don't have any idea where it is. Probably in my desk but I'm too lazy to look for it. =)