ID:1945957

Resolved
Screen objects did not necessarily respect their original order when on the same layer.
BYOND Version:509.1300
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 45.0.2454.93
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I'll try and track down whats going on a little better tomorrow, but I wanted to get started. The first image is how my program appears in 509.1300 DS, and the second is how it appears in 508 and the 509 webclient. The missing stuff is translated screen objects that contain maptext. Objects with only icons seem to appear fine.

Like I said, I'll try and get more specific if I can later.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:

Do you have a copy of the project I could try this on? I tried a quick test with maptext on a screen object (with or without an icon) including transform, and was unable to reproduce the issue.
I'll send it to you, but you know how bad my code is, so I'll wish you luck ;)
Out of curiosity, are you comparing to 508.1299 or was it an earlier 508 build? I haven't checked 1299 myself yet, but I'm seeing that the problem appears to be identical in hardware and software modes.

Additionally, I'm seeing that lines like "Game - 1" are wrapping because of the maptext_width being only 90, when the width needed is a bit higher. The number appears to be wrapping to the next line.

All of this combines to make me wonder if a fix to another maptext issue, from an earlier 508 build, is what's causing this issue now.
Just wondering, Are you using any CSS or pixel positioning to place the text?
In response to Lummox JR
I was testing in 1294, but 1299 works fine as well. It seems to be just 1300 DS that has the issue. I'll play around with it and see if I can narrow it down more.
Okay, thanks. The only thing I can think of that might have changed in 1300 for maptext is that the parser is given a color matrix along with a color multiplier, both of which get passed to the final draw routine.
In dissecting your case in the debugger in depth, I've found that the backdrop you're using is being drawn after the maptext. It appears to have the exact same layer.

While that isn't a good idea, it doesn't really explain why this problem surfaced in 509, which shouldn't have messed with the layer order without a plane setting present. I'm still looking.

[edit]
I do see some of our code used for big icons on the map seems to have triggered here because there was no protection against screen objects using it. It makes no sense that it'd show up in 509 but not 508, but the fix is trivial.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Screen objects did not necessarily respect their original order when on the same layer.
Thanks, though I guess I should fix the layer thing anyway...