PartIcons

by Flick
Generate particle effects as icons
ID:1946222

I figured out why my memory footprint was so high. Icons shown to the client hang around for a while, regardless of whether or not they are deleted or have all references to them set to null. I did away with the preview of the icon being created, and my memory footprint for some generations dropped from 1600MB before DS crashed to maybe 50MB or so... Yeah, that's a bit better.
Yep, dynamic icons do this and it's by design. There's really no such things as a temporary icon because the icons are assigned a reference number internally.
Yeah, wish I'd have realized that a while ago ;) Generations that wouldn't even get half done before now finish with no problem at all.
So, this particular effect used to kill DS if I tried to make it seemless with 20 particles per wave. Now, this is with 500 per wave...

It's not a very good one, and it still took a while to generate, but it worked. :)
I'm actually glad that you made this thing, Flick. I've been wanting to make something like this for a long time, but I just haven't been able to sit down and dedicate the time. It's a great tool and I'll be using the crap out of it.
Good to hear. :) I hope quite a few people get some use out of it. If you, or anyone, has any requests feel free to post them. I've got quite a few more ideas and my implementation of some features is questionable at the moment, but I'm still enjoying it so I can see myself working on it for a while.

I would suggest everyone gets their requests in now while I'm still motivated though ;)
It kind of makes me wish I continued doing my particle generator. No matter how many times I told Ter I would clean it up, I always put it off.

Good work, Flick.
In response to Ter13
Ditto. Thought the same way back.
Was lacking in knowledge at that point but I'm glad someone got around to it as well.
Making some of the more generic requests freely accessible would serve you well in saving time later.

Fires, Explosions, Lasers, Lights, Maybe some bushes/trees/rocks/foliage/etc. The basics!
This will make special effects much easier and prettier to boot. (:
Wow, this is awesome... +1