ID:194947

Well here's the topic for the October Monthly challenge. You can post and discuss your entries here.

As a reminder the challenges are not a contest to win, rather, to help improve your pixel art skills, and to have fun. I hope a lot of people partake in the events.

Rules:

-200x150 pixels (it can be either landscape or Portrait)
-32-color limit max (not including transparencies)
-Must include a carved-out glowing pumpkin somewhere in the image
-Have fun while doing it.

The end date for the challenge is 9pm EST Halloween Night.

It's so beautiful, I know. <_<
Here's my entry, although it's not completely finished, I thought I'd post it now anyway.
Cool contest!

This image isn't my "entry", since I sort of cheated on it by using already-made elements (icons from Murder Mansion; even though they're all my own work, I still consider it "cheating" in a way), and some Paint Shop Pro tools (like layering, opacity, and color depth changing to put the original down to 32 colors, all of which I sort of feel is not true to the pixel art form), but I got this idea into my head and I just had to make it...

It doesn't look so nice against a white/bright background, as the brightness floods out the colors... So, I've also added a slightly brightened version next to it, even though doing that lessens the impact of the jack-o-lantern light...

I then decided that the light needed to be stretched out more, so I made these versions as well...

But, like I said, due to the number of pixel art "rules" I feel I've broken with this, I'm going to be working on another, more "pure" piece... But, I like how this turned out...
@Maggeh: Yay!
@Koileh: Me likey! I like the scribbly shading. It makes a cool glow.
@Kenny: Good elements in there. Might need something on the right.
@SSGX: Killer idea! Think you can make it flicker?

One o me favorite movies. Dunno why. 16 colors.
Heya, everybody!

In response to TheMonkeyDidIt
TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:
@Maggeh: Yay!
@Koileh: Me likey! I like the scribbly shading. It makes a cool glow.
@Kenny: Good elements in there. Might need something on the right.
@SSGX: Killer idea! Think you can make it flicker?

One o me favorite movies. Dunno why. 16 colors.
Heya, everybody!

:0 T_T Back to the old drawing board lol very smexy.
Hehe, this was pretty much what my idea was going to be, though I've only drew some rough outline lines so far. Oh well, looks great monkey.

Koil: Already told you what I thought in chat, I love the style you used.

Kenny: It is a bit bare on the right side. You could also try giving it some darker colors, and higher contrast on the shadows. Maybe even add the yellow glow from the pumpkin on the ground in front like what SSGX did in his quickie one.
I've been messing with my Coloring Book at the moment, but I at least wanted to put something in here for now.

:P

(Yes, I know it isn't pixel art ;)
yarr! very nice. I really need to get my own computer again so I can get back into the pixel art groove -.-;

Only one critique TMDI, the shine on the sword looks out of place, due to the position of the sword in relation to the head. Of course, it could also just be me.
In response to Kenny G 555
I darkened it up a bit and fixed the jack o' lantern's face.
I also added the glow on the ground like Maggeh suggested.
The right side is still missing something, I'll add that this weekend.
New

Old
In response to Cryptic
Cryptic wrote:
yarr! very nice. I really need to get my own computer again so I can get back into the pixel art groove -.-;

Only one critique TMDI, the shine on the sword looks out of place, due to the position of the sword in relation to the head. Of course, it could also just be me.

You're absolutely right. It'd seem there's another yellow light source in front of the horseman, to our right and lower than him (outside of the frame where we can't see it). That's the only reason the sword would be lighted like that.

Honestly, the only reason I colored that way is because the sword's color was problematic for me. I needed to keep the colors unified and direct the viewer's eye to the pic's focus (the pumpkin), so I cheated and used the yellow. I may try to use a lighter blue instead and see if that works.
Good eye.
Ahah! My final piece. Exactly 32 colors too XD.

there is no way im asgood as Monkey in this but meh, atleast i actual entered this one lol. i'll proberly make a newer entey before its over but highly doubtful so here is my pumpkin

In response to Yurgeta
Wait, do they all have to have the eyes reflecting on another surface? I was under the impression that it just needed a Glow effect.
In response to Legendary Goku 10
It just needs a glow effect of some sort
Kenneh:
It's looking better composition-wise. Really good job on the moon. You might anti-alias the edges into the sky a bit more.
Also, you've know got two light sources goin on here (the moon and the pumpkin), go ahead and add some shading to the tombstone, pumpkin and hand to show it.

Yurg:
That's really good. I like the shadow behind the pumpkin.

Any better on the sword? I wanted to keep that back edge somewhat yellow...
Yeah, that works. With just the back edge yellow, it looks light light reflected from PumpkinHead. Very nice work. :)
I love it =)
Outline:

Basic Colors:

I'll fade everything soon and and more contrast...but this is a 'skeleton' of my Halloween thingy
In response to Robbie Hewitt
Robbie Hewitt wrote:
Outline:

Basic Colors:

I'll fade everything soon and and more contrast...but this is a 'skeleton' of my Halloween thingy

i like the combonation , simplicity is there aswell
Page: 1 2 3 4