In response to Kats
He changed the name i think :P
http://www.byond.com/games/Bravo1/ZTANI
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Only issue with creating a "titan" in the dbz category, is every ounce of work put in would be without profit, for free. No value to anyone that worked on it. You can't put illegally done work on a resume and can't legally profit off the game. It is in no way worth the effort to make a fan game, which is why they all end up in this rut of overly poor quality and/or abandonment.

This, exactly this. I'm not against fan-games by any means. In fact, I actually want to produce one. I'm also fully capable of producing one with quality content.

However, I never act on it because it will not return anything. While I'd love to spend my time producing one, all I'd end up doing is wasting time and money(art assests) on a project that will not contribute to my future goals as an indie game developer.
In response to Lavenblade
Honestly my fear is similar, but not quite the same. See, if I could find the time I'd still go for it because who knows what all I might learn from the experience, and it could help BYOND and all the fans out there. Not to mention labor of love, and such.

Where my true problem comes in lets say best case scenario I make this kick ass titan of a DBZ game, draw in like 100-200 players from BYOND, and who knows how many from outside it. I've got SS 13 or better range of players on the hub, and then... Bam! Cease and dessist, shut down the game.

No profit? Doesn't matter cause it's Funimation. Pretty sure they can do that, and that just ruins everything. Copyrights go a little too far sometimes, honestly.
There is still the option of marketing the game on your own website.

I wonder how far they'd be willing to push the lawsuit. What if the server is hosted in another country?
In response to Lavenblade
Tell that to Final Fantasy Legacy. Square pushed them off BYOND, they went to their own website, and then they got shut down there too. I think the websites still up, but no version of the game can be hosted or anything. And I don't even think they were profitting much if any, maybe just enough donations to pay servers if that I think.

That game is a big part of why I said what I said above.
Ah, well damn. :/
In response to Toddab503
It's what happens when you don't respect the owner's wishes. It sucks, but you don't keep stealing your neighbors WiFi when they ask you to stop, then get upset when they put a password on it. Doesn't matter if they had a 'good reason', like your browsing being unsavory; It's not your WiFi to use and you can't be mad they don't want you using it anymore.
If people want to bring fan-games to BYOND, more power to them. I just don't really even see how it'd be alright for a fan-game to have a subscription service. If you're going to make that kind of game, you gotta love it. This really is part of the whole reason of making games on BYOND..

This is a message to everyone who doesn't know it yet: If you're here to make money, you're in the wrong community.
In response to Konlet
BYOND is a perfectly reasonable medium for making money, the fan-game genre is not. If any game here did some decent marketing, I'm sure they'd make a lot more money than they'd think. The games that made it to steam, while I don't know exact numbers, have been said(by the devs) to have made a nice chunk of change(not rich man money, but a impressive number for us small folk).
Let's talk about successful BYOND games: There are 2

Successful UE games? First of all there's SMITE which even has Esports involved. There's Unreal Tournament, which may have been one of the first Esports games. Borderlands, Bioshock, Deus Ex, Assassin's creed, the list goes on...

If you're truly suggesting that marketing is the difference between a BYOND game and a game made on UE or Unity getting on Steam, I have a bridge in Atlantis to sell you.

Let me also remind you that UE was released in 1998, only a year before BYOND.
Would you care to make that number increase by 1? Maybe actually contribute to BYOND a little bit? Just a passing whim.
In response to Lugia319
The Last Conflict
NEStalgia
Eternia
SS13
HU1/2 (Arguably)
That robot pvp board game that was super popular before I joined
Numerous DBZ games in past times
Numerous DBZ games that I know of with 50-150 players on concurrently even right now, just with no real hub

?

Featured Game List?
Why not use an algorithm? :<
Ugh, probably not the best place to put this but where did my posts go? I can't even see which moderator removed it so I can PM them and ask them why.

Extremely infuriating... =(

EDIT: What's even worse, I didn't even get a notification of what was removed.
In response to Rushnut
A tad bit off topic, but I just can't resist pointing out the game you're referring to is Last Robot Standing.

That list is also pretty much how the front page was a while back, lol
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
The Last Conflict
NEStalgia
Eternia
SS13
HU1/2 (Arguably)
That robot pvp board game that was super popular before I joined
Numerous DBZ games in past times
Numerous DBZ games that I know of with 50-150 players on concurrently even right now, just with no real hub

?
Unfortunately, only games that legally make money are allowed. So on that list, only NEStalgia makes the cut.

In response to Lugia319
I can't even begin to imagine how Eternia is illegal, and LRS had some obvious inspiration but took its own theme etc and did it right so it was legal too. SS 13 was open sourced, so technically I would assume it's legal as well. TLC is debatable, but I can see why you would exclude it.
In response to Toddab503
Eternia can be a fair case, at the very least they have more players on over NEStalgia. I should remind you that Eternia is a roleplay game, and roleplay games have traditionally been very difficult to keep going with limited community. Also, Eternia does not (as far as I see) offer a refund policy. So unlike Steam where I can see that 1 in 9 NEStalgia purchases were refunded over the last 2 weeks, that metric is unavailable to me on Eternia.

But LRS and TLC no. They don't really exist beyond this website. SS13 isn't a success because Exia (or whatever that guy's name is, you know, the actual creator) open sourced it without making money off it.

Selling your product only on this website does not make you a success when this website has less active users than most gaming websites.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Selling your product only on this website does not make you a success when this website has less active users than most gaming websites.

We should fix that 8)
That's your opinion. What does it mean for a game to be successful? I think it's up to the one who sets the goals and milestones for the game.

Personally, I think Hazordhu was a success. In terms of money, I don't know how much it made, but I'm pretty sure more than the subscription money went into paying for its 24/7 server. Anyway, I think it's successful because it was fun and enjoyed by a decent number of people. F0lak might have a different idea of its success, but to me, Hazordhu was a success, and it's pretty much over and done with.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6