In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
We're talking about BYOND here.

"This town only has 100 people, so it should be fine to shit on the sidewalk."

Also I never said work on, I said tinker with.

Interesting you've suddenly decided that's what you mean here instead of here.

In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
We're talking about BYOND here.

"This town only has 100 people, so it should be fine to shit on the sidewalk."

You'll be fine *pats* it isn't like they'll publish it.

Also I never said work on, I said tinker with.

Interesting you've suddenly decided that's what you mean here instead of here.

Might wanna get your eyes checked.

Kozuma3 wrote:
Alienx26 wrote:
is that the game i helped code and then they kicked me out because byond hates me?

I believe at your skill level it's best to tinker around with libraries and/or make things for fun for a bit until you get a better understanding of the language.

Thanks for the mention, Higoten. I wasn't expecting a mention this issue, otherwise I would've sent you more information to work with. Maybe I'll invest some time in making a post regarding what I'm working on and my plans for Suukou Faita before the next issue of Within BYOND.
In response to NNAAAAHH
If 3 dollars is overpriced then i dont kno what kind of life u live. And u should really play it before u jump on it
In response to NNAAAAHH
It said it's based on Dragonball.(which it is)

That's a bit of a difference, like movies based on a true story-for instance. By that assumption you'd have to sue tons of movies for being "sort of like" this other movie-which hardly makes sense.

Also 10 cents a day * that is 3$ for a 1 month membership* isn't really a lot.

If you purchase the longer membership the price drops even more so.

Anyway thanks for the mention in the Article. One small win for anime related gaming. ^_^
"sort of like"

=/

It's scummy, but legal. I think the real question that you have to ask yourself, though, is whether what you are doing is right.

Right doesn't mean legal. That's up to you to decide. But I'd be careful saying your game is "based on" dragonball, because that could get you in some serious legal trouble. What you should be saying to avoid legal trouble is "inspired by".
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
"sort of like"

=/

It's scummy, but legal. I think the real question that you have to ask yourself, though, is whether what you are doing is right.

Right doesn't mean legal. That's up to you to decide. But I'd be careful saying your game is "based on" dragonball, because that could get you in some serious legal trouble. What you should be saying to avoid legal trouble is "inspired by".

I would just like to say that no matter what happens in this site, I really enjoy reading through the stuff some of you guys post. I love BYOND and its small community!
In response to Exentriks Gaming
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
I love BYOND and its small community!
Excluding Lugia319 lol.
In response to Byonamous
It's and illegal subscription fee, even a single penny is too much. I was more so talking about the credits($3 for 300, all the way up to $30 for 5000), but $3 a month to illegally allow someone to profit off another's IP? Overpriced. $20 for a lifetime is overpriced for the same reasoning, it isn't supposed to be able to charge anything.

I have played the game, it's terrible and a obvious dragonball game.

@Avid read above statements tenfold.

Being inspired by and basing a game upon are completely different, one is perfectly acceptable; the other is illegal without license.
In response to NNAAAAHH
He's thick, good luck getting him to see any kind of reasoning but his own.
@Pokemon: I wouldn't call him thick --he's been polite on the forums on this key. He's just defending his position. No need to turn it into personal sleights. Criticizing what he's doing is cool, but criticizing him/his properties is probably only going to pull this in some bad directions.

What I will say, is that I've spoken with Avid on the subject and I don't think we're going to change his mind on the subject. He genuinely doesn't see a difference between Ki Warriors' relationship to Dragonball, and say, Epic: Legend's relationship to Skyrim/Zelda. He's told me as much on the subject.

I don't think what he's doing is actually illegal. He's not actively using any of the IP's characters or setting themes. But it is derivative as hell and not in the positive way. It's derivative in the purely disrespectful way. For that matter, claiming that it's in any way equatable to Epic: Legend, or the like on the subject of originality is at the very least offensive to reason, and at the very worst, disrespectful to potential players in the fact that he's either knowingly using another IP's appeal in a shameless attempt to turn a profit.

It's one thing to make a game inspired by another, but making a game exclusively as an attempt to make money while wholly and unabashedly doing nothing more than replacing names of that IP's content... I dunno. It's just... Scummy. Not illegal, but scummy. The work is impressive. The graphics are solid, and he deserves credit for having made something at all. But turning the dragonballs blue and calling them mystic balls, does not an original game make.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
@Pokemon: I wouldn't call him thick --he's been polite on the forums on this key. He's just defending his position. No need to turn it into personal sleights. Criticizing what he's doing is cool, but criticizing him/his properties is probably only going to pull this in some bad directions.

Hmm alright you're right, no need to derail one of the few enjoyable topics. Apologies to you Avidanimefan.
I agree with Ter here. It would be a grandiose display of hubris to try selling off a cheap off-brand game as something of quality when it's clearly not. I would agree that it's something that just feels like a cheap cashgrab with no reward.
a cheap off-brand game as something of quality when it's clearly not.

I said nothing about the quality. I don't want to come across as critical of what the game is at all. I am only at all talking about the "originality" aspect of the conversation.

All I'm saying is that there's inspiration, there's imitation, and then there's outright copying. I'm not saying that there's theft going on at all either. Just copying. Copying isn't theft, but in my eyes, the moral implications of copying are determined by your incentive to do so:

Copying out of love and personal growth is alright.

Copying to make a quick buck... Not okay.
In response to Ter13
i agree... mimicking an IP like ninja saga did and many other games is just a way to circumvent the barrier to appeal to an audience. it is not ok
While I do agree @Ter13 and @GatewayRa, I'm wondering where you guys draw the line between copying and inspiration. What would Avidanimefan have to change in Ki Warriors for it not to be considered a copy? (The blue dragonballs come to mind, but outside of that, what else?)

Edit: Also big shoutout to the Sword Ascension Online squad, the game looks good. Now to finish the product. I'll definitely be checking it out during open testing.
In response to FKI
FKI wrote:
While I do agree @Ter13 and @GatewayRa, I'm wondering where you guys draw the line between copying and inspiration. What would Avidanimefan have to change in Ki Warriors for it not to be considered a copy? (The blue dragonballs come to mind, but outside of that, what else?)

Edit: Also big shoutout to the Sword Ascension Online squad, the game looks good. Now to finish the product. I'll definitely be checking it out during open testing.

you said how much do you have to change something to consider it not a copy... notice in this how the characters have been reconned into gods/fighters?

it still strikes me as a rip off...

why not instead of changing something to instead start from the ground up? creative thinking isnt exclusive... although sometimes it can be cool to recreate historical events (or in this case to you, a fantasy for collecting dragon balls and being a part of the z warriorz)
In response to GatewayRa
GatewayRa wrote:

This upsets me...
In response to Kats
why?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7