F is for friends who do stuff together
U is for U & me
N is for nywhere and nytime at all

Down here in the deep blue sea!!

F is for fire that burns down the whole town
U is for Uranium Bomb
N is for no survivors

Yadadadada.

Plankton finds fun in destroying a town. Like the video said everything has fun in it just finding it is the hard part. 8).

In response to Ghost of ET
lol i remember that episode
Interesting videos.

Game development is just as much as passion for me as it is a business, and so I can relate to a lot of what Blow talked about. I used to struggle with the idea of making games out of love vs. for a profit, this being the result of growing up (money becomes a factor in life pretty fast). But I eventually settled and realized my balance between the two. I won't engage in game development - or any activity for that matter - if my heart and soul isn't in it 100%. Of course monetary is still a factor, even more so as time goes by, I'm not worried about it, as fulfilling the aforementioned requirements of the soul will bring about everything that I need.

Playing games helped me realize this, as I too often come across games that show little consideration for the way the game plays or the players themselves, and only for the players' pockets.

I also liked the discussion on manipulation. I've always had a sort of negative association with manipulation just based on the meaning of the word, but without any real reason [that is conscious to me at this moment]. Thinking about it now though, that's a pretty silly thought, realizing that I am where I am at in life now due to manipulation of a greater power. I cannot consider this manipulation negative in the slightest, as it has kept me on the straight path in life, and more importantly, alive (as I've faced multiple situations where I should have died, but miraculously didn't) and with a purpose.

In short, these were definitely thought-provoking for me and I'm glad I didn't shirk them off, because lord knows I nearly did when I saw that 2 hour long lecture.

Thanks for sharing.
In response to FKI
Manipulation is fun.
I didn't think Braid was very fun.
I do harbor a lot of disagreement with Blow on a lot of issues. Particularly his argument that garbage-collected languages are unsuitable for game development.

What I will say, is that I like his take on monetization vs fun, particularly in that many mobile titles are designed to be deliberately unfun and frustrating. I think there's some merit in this talk about good fun vs bad fun.
Baby don't hurt me...
Don't hurt me...
No more...

What? Wrong song?...
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I do harbor a lot of disagreement with Blow on a lot of issues. Particularly his argument that garbage-collected languages are unsuitable for game development.

What I will say, is that I like his take on monetization vs fun, particularly in that many mobile titles are designed to be deliberately unfun and frustrating. I think there's some merit in this talk about good fun vs bad fun.

Is there a difference between addiction and fun? If so mobile games would fall under the addiction category wouldnt you say :P?
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Baby don't hurt me...
Don't hurt me...
No more...

I was thinking this as soon as I saw the title xD
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Baby don't bore me...
Don't bore me...
No more...

FTFY

In response to Ghost of ET
After watching Extra Credit's videos on Game Addiction a while back, I am forced to correct you here because I really agree with them.

Games are not made to be addictive. They are made to be compelling. If you find it hard to put down a game, it is because the game is very compelling - it makes you want to keep playing. Game compulsion can lead to addiction, but calling games themselves "addictive" leads to pinning all of the blame for addiction on the game itself, and not properly resolving the issue. There's a reason that you can't easily help an alcoholic's addiction just by taking him/her away from alcohol.

But I digress. As for your question, there is a difference, though "fun" has the potential (in some cases) to lead to "compulsion" which can influence "addiction".

A game doesn't have to be fun to be compelling however, and it doesn't have to be compelling to be fun. Typical mobile games often fall under the "not fun but compelling" category, while little arcade-y games usually fall under the "fun but not compelling" part - they are fairly easy to just put down at any time.
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
After watching Extra Credit's videos on Game Addiction a while back, I am forced to correct you here because I really agree with them.

Games are not made to be addictive. They are made to be compelling. If you find it hard to put down a game, it is because the game is very compelling - it makes you want to keep playing. Game compulsion can lead to addiction, but calling games themselves "addictive" leads to pinning all of the blame for addiction on the game itself, and not properly resolving the issue. There's a reason that you can't easily help an alcoholic's addiction just by taking him/her away from alcohol.

But I digress. As for your question, there is a difference, though "fun" has the potential (in some cases) to lead to "compulsion" which can influence "addiction".

A game doesn't have to be fun to be compelling however, and it doesn't have to be compelling to be fun. Typical mobile games often fall under the "not fun but compelling" category, while little arcade-y games usually fall under the "fun but not compelling" part - they are fairly easy to just put down at any time.

All hail pacman.
Games are not made to be addictive.

I agree, but freemium mobile games aren't really games. They are a vice you put housewives in to separate the meaty womanly pulp from their spare change.
Fun is a buzzword created by the Illuminati to keep us all in check.

Don't let your kids engage in fun, people. Don't be a sheep.
In earlier times, video games were more challenging and the fun of them was about reaction time and learning to do better.

Now it's so complex that the recipe is unfathomable as it still constantly changes and grows. I find fun with a game in which the goals seem worthy of my time and the trip to it is entertaining. What makes it better for me is if you can enjoy doing similar tasks that always have different results, like a healthy combat system.