In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
I'm sure that the reason these developers chose these other IDEs is because they didn't know about DM instead of these other IDEs being better.

Or, you know, it's because those IDEs have a huge reach compared to BYOND since they're able to invest hundreds of thousands or more into marketing.

Whether they're better or not is where things get complicated, since RPGMaker specializes in designing RPGs with minimal code knowledge and BYOND's appeal is streamlining game development. Projects programmed in Unity are going to take much more time to develop than they would in DM, and if you're truly experienced in both engines, you'll know this as a fact. Will you get a better product if you invest the time into Unity? Yeah, definitely. Will you burn out before getting there? ...Yeah, probably, depending on what you're attempting.

The engine has its downsides, certainly, but it's pretty good at what it does. Those that constantly harp on about how it has no redeeming features (you, Falacy, etc) generally have no idea what you're talking about whereas more experienced users (Ter13, Silkward, etc) will offer a good case to the opposite.
In response to Writing A New One
I'm not denying that it's okay for MUDs... but Unity and UE can both do MUDs and sooooo much more. It's like saying you'll have a salad but no main course at a restaurant. Yeah, it's within your rights, but why wouldn't you just go the whole way?

And there are whole semester long classes built on this notion of adding code to make code run faster. Is the run-time cost of code that takes less lines to write in DM worth it when if you put in a little extra code, you can get a speedup factor of 4?
Nobody's denying that Unity and the like can do much more and better if you know what you're doing. What we're all denying is that BYOND is useless. WANO articulated that point just fine. So that's it, this is going nowhere else. Cyberlord is sitting there happily with his popcorn because he totally expected this to happen. So thanks, Lugia. You're the best.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
So thanks, Lugia. You're the best.

I know. But I'm glad you know.
Lugiadoyouevencodez?
In response to Pokemon Entertainment
Pokemon Entertainment wrote:
Lugiadoyouevencodez?

Defer to Fugsnarf

Fugsnarf wrote:
Lugia. You're the best.
I learned Unity before I found BYOND and I think WANO really hit the nail on the head. The amount of work it takes to develop a game with Unity is so ridiculously exhausting(starting with the learning curve and especially for a 2d game) that it is really not worth the effort for a single developer. I am now currently working with Unity as well as DM and I can honestly say that something that takes about a day with DM will take an entire week with Unity(depending on your skill level).

If you have the man power and the will power it is obviously the better choice and the outcome will likely be better, but to underestimate those two factors is a mistake that will drain you to a pulp.

Overall as I've gone along with BYOND, my conclusion is that DM is better for prototyping and getting a small, quick, quality product out(I would say it is the quickest compared to any other engine out there) and it is also a rewarding, enjoyable experience. But anything beyond that is lacking and it is probably not best for large, ambitious games.
In response to Exentriks Gaming
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
I learned Unity before I found BYOND and I think WANO really hit the nail on the head. The amount of work it takes to develop a game with Unity is so ridiculously exhausting(starting with the learning curve and especially for a 2d game) that it is really not worth the effort for a single developer. I am now currently working with Unity as well as DM and I can honestly say that something that takes about a day with DM will take an entire week with Unity(depending on your skill level).

If you have the man power and the will power it is obviously the better choice and the outcome will likely be better, but to underestimate those two factors is a mistake that will drain you to a pulp.

Overall as I've gone along with BYOND, my conclusion is that DM is better for prototyping and getting a small, quick, quality product out(I would say it is the quickest compared to any other engine out there) and it is also a rewarding, enjoyable experience. But anything beyond that is lacking and it is probably not best for large, ambitious games.

Teach me to program :D?
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
There's no reason for me to not be here. I still have plenty of programming experience I could divulge if prompted to do so. Besides, I might be able to convince a few people that Unity is better if they just get past the (very mild) learning curve.

That is probably the most laughable show of hubris I've ever seen in my life. You have close to no programming experience whatsoever and certainly no experience actually writing games. You understand the bare basics at very best but will almost certainly never grasp the intricacies of design. I'm sorry, but you are literally the last person on this website anyone would come to for help.

You do so much trolling and shitposting on this website that we've literally made you into a meme for our own amusement. You have absolutely zero right to be on this website if your only goal is to force new people into having a terrible experience because of your impotent rage.

You are a literal mockery to the very definition of a programmer and I honestly hope every day to come online and see a thread about you getting permanently removed from the website. That's a day that many of us will rejoice, but don't worry: your legacy will live on in the endless jokes we make about you when you're long gone failing somewhere else, blaming Unity for your ineptitude and moving onto the next shiny game engine in your view.

In response to Kats
You have close to no programming experience whatsoever

My resume says otherwise. Numerical Integrating and Time series analysis programs don't write themselves.

You do so much trolling and shitposting on this website that we've literally made you into a meme for our own amusement.

I'd actually like to see these memes.

You have absolutely zero right to be on this website if your only goal is to force new people into having a terrible experience because of your impotent rage.

Well good, because that's not why I'm here. I'm here to provide assistance if requested and to show people that BYOND isn't worth it if you want to make money off of your game.

blaming Unity for your ineptitude and moving onto the next shiny game engine in your view.

Unity is really good. It does everything BYOND does and more. There's literally no reason to use BYOND over Unity.
In response to Lugia319
You completely fail to see the reason BYOND is better for new programmers and the asset experienced programmers are while they're here. Unity can be "better" all day long, but that doesn't change the fact that BYOND is a much better option for the budding designer with zero experience in development. It teaches more of the core fundamentals without necessitating learning advanced functionality before understanding the basics.
In response to Kats
No, I've always recognized that BYOND is easier for the novice. I'm just saying that there's a time that the training wheels need to come off. Unless you'd like to piss in the sandbox for your entire programming experience, then by all means; be my guest. But if you'd like to be a serious programmer, gotta get out of BYOND.
In response to Lugia319
Then why are you still here kid? To troll?
In response to Morte Warrior
Morte Warrior wrote:
Then why are you still here kid? To troll?

No other reason. He's never been here for any other reason. That's why I think he should have been removed a long time ago.
His ignorance actually gave me cancer.
In response to Kats
I am not a troll; I just don't think BYOND is the Godsend you think it is. Essentially, you dislike me for having a contentious opinion, and call me a troll for it.
In response to Lugia319
BYOND is not a "Godsend", but it is a community of very hard working developers who enjoy the hobby and the community provided here. You would just pretend that all of that is moot and that everything here is so much worse than anywhere else, which is just asinine.
In response to Kats
Dude, you're really feeding this guy...
In response to Exentriks Gaming
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
Dude, you're really feeding this guy...

Lugia hardly needs to be fed to be a moron. Trust me.
In response to Kats
"Community of hard working developers" ... TriHard

Yeah, sure, keep lying to yourself.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6