ID:1973706

This is an address to inspiration, and all of the anticipated games that are never finished.

What signifies the success of a game? Many people would say popularity. However, it's more than common to find a popular game with clear faults or bad programming.
In many cases, I believe it can help to focus more on systematic concepts rather than "thinking it up as you go," then coming up with details when it feels more at hand.

Uh, just wanted to say I'm being a total hypocrite since I've created hundreds of unfinished games and thousands of unfinished projects overall.

Being an independent developer, like many people on BYOND, can be difficult, especially when it comes to managing your work ethic. Consider working with a friend or an associate to make it easier to get things done.
I myself have a friend occasionally making sure I'm keeping up with my personal works, and it's proven to be quite proficient considering without him I'd never have made RP Infinite what it is today (working).

On another note, stress shrouds the mind and makes it difficult to focus. Focus, in the end, is what truly drives us to do anything. It's not uncommon for a developer not wanting to program a simple process because they don't want to do anything with it whatsoever. There's been countless times where I've looked at a project and thought, "This idea is so large that I'll never be able to make it. I'd never be satisfactory with it anyways," so I stop. If you have an idea that you're passionate about, go for it. No matter how insane your idea is, try your best to make it. (Don't quote me on that) Having passion is what keeps developers interested in being developers. I, for one, love the thought of being able to type something in a machine and create a world.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to post any inspirational memes in here. Let me be the first! ;3

The success of a game depends on the developer's definition of success. I think my BreederMon game had a lot of success because I planned modules to add to it, and I made them. Yut Put has said on a few occasions that they weren't satisfied with (I believe it was Epic) how Epic turned out and so that game would be a failure. This is by and large hobbyist development. If it fails to bring you satisfaction, then it is not a hobby, and it is a failure.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
If it fails to bring you satisfaction, then it is not a hobby, and it is a failure.

TIL am failure