ID:1975237

What do you think would happen if every single Byond Programmer pitched in to make a single game that represents the Byond Community?

I'll start. It'll mostly be Anime-based. I don't mean that in any disrespect to Anime-Developers, cause I'm developing Anime games too.
I have serious doubts the programmers here would work well together on a single project.
1. it would be horrible because most people here are really bad at what they do, no offense
2. it would never happen because in byond theres nothing that facilitates managing projects for team collaboration
Yeah, I know it would never happen, that's the point of the What if, lol.

It'll probably end with 100s of glitches and everybody who worked on it would just deploy their own version of it "slightly different"
it technically could be done, but not in the way you imagined... games like icon ultima and minecraft make things possible for community contribution, but outside of that, no.

people here, by the majority, cant make art and while many of them believe that they can program, theyre atrocious at that too.

basically a base system would have to be managed by a small team that would be made easy for the community to contribute
it will never get done... that's what would happen.
This has been brought up before, and it was even pursued a good bit by several users. It went nowhere, though. I like the sentiment behind it, but I don't think it's a good idea.
The problem is works of art (generally) need to be produced by an organized body and mind. Letting anyone do anything willy-nilly without any kind of quality control doesn't lend itself naturally to a well-functioning game. Consider a game that tries to be so many things that it loses focus on all of them and fails to do anything proficiently. This is what you'd be looking at.
It would be cool if it actually got pulled off tbh. Would be a way to show that the community can work together.
You would have a sandbox rpg mmo single player multiplayer game with afk training and a shite load of rping.
It won't even be the fun style of rping. It would be that English Class Rping, where you're judged by your grammar and gotta type a lot. The only way to be the best in that game is to be an English Teacher.
This is really hard to get around, and seems to be an issue here because that's just how people are. Throwing a lot of programmers together would be(at least how i see it since im not a programmer) like throwing together a lot of pixel artist. I have a hard enough time getting along with JUST ONE other pixel artist(because of clashing styles and i want good art not quick art. byond tends to go for quick art), and i can't imagine how it'd be like to throw say four programmers together.
In response to VixiV
VixiV wrote:
i can't imagine how it'd be like to throw say four programmers together.

Last time they threw four programmers together, Pokemon Red and Blue were made... in Assembly

In response to VixiV
VixiV wrote:
I have a hard enough time getting along with JUST ONE other pixel artist(because of clashing styles and i want good art not quick art. byond tends to go for quick art)

i agree imitating styles is pretty easy for me but i refuse to imitate an inferior style so i tend to force my style on others i work with cause i have the best style ever ofcourse.
Here we go again.

TLDR: no. You're not going to get anyone worth their salt to contribute.
I like to think that programming is less affected by personal style than art is. There should exist certain patterns and programming practices that most programmers would agree to use, if they're all given the same problem. On top of that, a set of naming conventions is pretty easy to make and follow.

Then, theoretically, as long as everything's properly documented, for example you might have a bunch of functions that take X arguments and returns Y, you don't need to know how the functions are implemented in order to use them.

Of course, in the end, the players won't be looking at your code when they're playing the game, so it really really doesn't matter to them if code styles clash as long as the game functions well.

That said, y'all should just use libraries. It's pretty much the same as a bunch of BYOND programmers pitching into your project, if that's really what you want. If the library has issues, bring them up on its forum. If a library doesn't exist that should exist, maybe make a request for it on these forums, or make it yourself and release it for others to use.

As far as art goes, I don't know enough about it to see how one might create a set of guidelines for artists to follow to end up with the same consistent style, but since art is basically all players see, it's important to make everything fit with everything else, so it's probably more difficult to deal with.
BlackProgrammer wrote:
What do you think would happen if every single Byond Programmer pitched in to make a single game that represents the Byond Community?

We'd end up making something horrifying. A war of ages would unleash!

Really, though, a game where everyone puts their own ideas or programming into it would be very unorganized, and many programmers wouldn't be able to understand some of the more complex code. Would make it nearly impossible for them to contribute without having to ask for help, thus possibly embarrassing them.

I think something like this will never happen because as a community, members don't always like each other and to be honest I wouldn't even want to partake in such an event.
I wonder who would be the Lead Programmer of that
chill lol
Everyone would be rewriting code they don't think is properly written until everyone's pissed at each other because it makes them feel inferior to the other programmer.
Page: 1 2