In response to BlackProgrammer
BlackProgrammer wrote:
I'm not saying you can't make good money from a Byond game. I'm saying that there should be a couple of Byond games making atleast 100 bands cause the Engine is capable of it

Just because the engine is capable doesn't mean the programmers want to use it for that/are capable of making something worth that much. A lot of us came here as beginners, after all.
GatewayRa said:
wrong... dragon ball heroes united made a lot more than nestalgia did

Rushnut said:
No, it didn't. It never did, and this is a common (And fairly ridiculous) misconception.

Do you have any solid proof as to the range of income Falacy brought in? It's really not that far-fetched and I wouldn't doubt there is truth in what GatewayRa said.

BlackProgrammer said:
I'm not saying you can't make good money from a Byond game. I'm saying that there should be a couple of Byond games making atleast 100 bands cause the Engine is capable of it

It's like others have already said: The vast majority here are only hobbyists and aren't looking to make a lot of cash, if any at all, from their product. However, if you want to make good money with your Byond game, it's entirely possible given the work and effort is put in to receive that reward.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
GatewayRa wrote:

No, it didn't. It never did, and this is a common (And fairly ridiculous) misconception.

Surely you recall "Strai Subscription" and the "cash for zenni" transactions, and his games having a 300+ playerbase, even so far as peeking 500+ daily. I know its grossed over $200,000 during the course of several years. Obviously, BYOND's not as popular as it used to be and Falacy's probably not making a dime off of it anymore.

I don't have precise numbers, neither with NEStalgia, but what makes you think it's a ridiculous misconception? Please do tell. Perhaps I'll go dig up some past statistics to show you how probability heavily outweighs your favor.

To name two obvious examples off of the top of my head:
  • Heroes United peaked higher in popularity than NEStalgia ever did, with its peek being sustained for several years longer
  • Heroes United had a monthly subscription system, whereas NEStalgia switched to a one-time purchase model when it was released to Steam.
But please, by all means, share your thoughts. I'm sure we'd love to hear your fairly ridiculously take on it.

Rushnut wrote:
I wouldn't say it's a terrible engine, but it's not exactly well equipped enough to be making serious amounts of money, such as "100 bands".

That claim is just flat out absurd. Your tendency to deny somebody's chance of success is leading me to believe you're a jealous person that can't accept it.
Honestly I think it's because both the players see Byond as just a practice ground and the fact that we don't have a serious playerbase anymore. Byond needs to advertise itself better or something.
BlackProgrammer wrote:
Honestly I think it's because both the players see Byond as just a practice ground and the fact that we don't have a serious playerbase anymore. Byond needs to advertise itself better or something.

Qualified programmers are capable of targeting low-level graphic pipelines, and that's what they go for, unless they're working for a company that imposes they use "industry standard" tools.

BYOND just simply appeals to amateur developers and fast products, and that's what it gets. What BYOND needs is an amateur like Scott Cawthon to come in and luck out. Or maybe there will be a former user that becomes a qualified developer and comes back on BYOND to make a good selling game out of sympathy.
In response to FKI
FKI wrote:
GatewayRa said:

Rushnut said:

Do you have any solid proof as to the range of income Falacy brought in? It's really not that far-fetched and I wouldn't doubt there is truth in what GatewayRa said.

Yes, I do. I speak to Falacy fairly often, and I've ask him this before, along with the age old "Falacy got taken to court for HU", both of which are, ahem, falacies.
In response to GatewayRa
GatewayRa wrote:
Rushnut wrote:
I wouldn't say it's a terrible engine, but it's not exactly well equipped enough to be making serious amounts of money, such as "100 bands".

That claim is just flat out absurd. Your tendency to deny somebody's chance of success is leading me to believe you're a jealous person that can't accept it.

I won't bother replying to the first half of your message since I already covered that in my previous post, but I'm not jealous, or anything, lol. I just don't believe in my opinion that the engine is powerful enough from my experience. I'm allowed to be wrong, of course, but I've never seen a game that played as fluidly or as easily as any other game that's made actual money, such at TBoi or SMB. FTL is a good example of a game that really could be made in BYOND, but it hasn't so. Idk.

Please don't start shitflinging.
Rushnut wrote:
I won't bother replying to the first half of your message since I already covered that in my previous post

No you didn't. That's why FKI asked for evidence of your claim. Your argument was simply, "BYOND has poor performance so any games made in it can't make decent money."

I just don't believe in my opinion that the engine is powerful enough from my experience.

Depends what you mean by "powerful", but it's inferred by context that you mean performance. Performance isn't correlated to profit.
im looking to bank on my projects ;) only reason why im here on byond for the youtube money.
In response to Southend_boi
Finally, someone's being honest.
BlackProgrammer wrote:

If i didn't think i'd make 5k-10k off the projects im working on i wouldn't even be here or working on them in all honesty.

Its really just about finding the correct coding partner to split the funds with which is hard on byond where all these coders claim they're the best for the job.
Rushnut said:
Yes, I do. I speak to Falacy fairly often, and I've ask him this before, along with the age old "Falacy got taken to court for HU", both of which are, ahem, falacies.

So you can show us the part where he reveals to you how much he actually made then? As much as I'd like to take your word for it, that won't do in this case when the numbers add up the way they do.

BlackProgrammer said:

No one here lied to you, you just choose to ignore what doesn't fit your agenda. The fact is, those of us who are here to make money are the 1%. Everyone else is a hobbyist of some sort.
In response to FKI
I never said anyone lied to me. I'm just saying that finally someone gave an extremely honest reply.
Page: 1 2