ID:1977875

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone that recognizes me will see this, but I'm posting it anyway.
I joined in November of 2001 under a different key. I've been on BYOND for 14 years now. In the last year it's been a lot less frequent, but I've been silently checking in on how things are going every few weeks. It makes me smile whenever I see a post by someone that I would consider a friend. It's more depressing seeing that people are following the same pattern that I have fallen in, life takes over, not enough time to do what I want, not being able to program for fun any more, no more BYOND.

I'm unbelievably grateful for BYOND as a site, a community, and as a group of friends. When I was younger, I was incredibly shy in person. I had very few friends until I went to college. This is where I met the vast majority of what I now call "my internet friends". I'm grateful that every one of you were a part of my life and I hope that you are all doing well in your own lives.

This website was also my first introduction to programming, which is now the center of my life and going to be the work that I contribute to society. I currently work on life-saving medical devices that actual surgeons use to save actual lives. I can't tell you how it feels to be able to save lives by doing what I love. Younger me thought it was all about the money, but it's really not. I get no happiness from my paycheck, I get happiness from meeting people that lives were forever changed for the better because I decided programming was what I wanted to do. I get happiness for being able to support my long-term girlfriend because of my line of work.

I don't know if I would have found programming in the same way if I had not picked it up so early because of BYOND, and for that I am so thankful. I've been a supporter of BYOND for almost 6 years straight by owning a BYOND subscription. I've even been a moderator for a few years. But this will be the last year of that sadly.

There are only two weeks left on my current subscription. I have no need to renew it. I don't want anyone else to renew it.

This is sort of a goodbye for me, because my time is already tight and I have nothing else to contribute here. I wish you all the best, and thanks for your time and support.

Oasiscircle
Salute.
You were my favorite developer around these parts.
May life take you to many great experiences and places. (:
<3 You'll always be Gary to Micke.

Love you, Gary! So many good times here. I remember when you introduced me to your let's play as Gary Bethlehem which eventually brought you to doing the BYONDcast. I loved doing that with you and Akto and whoever else came on (Bravo I think), all the games you've made, the time spent with you chatting about them, and many more fun things I can't even think of -- I loved every minute of it. I always say that 2007 to the beginning of 09 was my "golden age" here on BYOND, but I have such fond memories of that "era" of my time here that it might just be my other one. I'll always be your BYONDling <3
Is this the end?

of Polis?
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
Is this the end?

of Polis?

Why did you have to remind me of that? I had completely forgotten about it. :(

Anyways, good luck in your future endeavors Gary!
Bb y
You will be missed, Oasiscircle. You brought nothing but good things to this community.

If I were you, I would consider open-sourcing some of your games. Don't take them with you. Let them live on.
inb4 Teka renews membership
Oasis, creator of Myriad, claims:
I'm not sure if anyone that recognizes me will see this, but I'm posting it anyway.

Orly. >:C
How could anyone not recognize you? Man you put out some of the best games I've played on byond! A day doesn't pass I sit by and think of the days we had on alchemist classic. Hope you do well in life, and never forget the impact you've had on some of us!
In response to EmpirezTeam
Later, sir Oasis.

EmpirezTeam wrote:
inb4 Teka renews membership

He put in the effort to level his donations out at a cool $10,000 - I don't think he's going to break that now. =p
Farewell bug man, even though i only talked to you like three times. o7 may you have a good life. rip bug man
-1 Nay
were polis
I know we weren't really friends ever, but I feel we would've been had I been more active before. Thanks for all that you've contributed :)

Godspeed.
F
I understand... but... Say it ain't so! I really hate to see you go. The games you've made have been amazing, and I was really looking forward to seeing you push Alchemist RPG throughout the internet.

That being said, life does come first, and it sounds like you've got some pretty amazing work to do so... Take care, and good luck with all your future endeavors! Try not to be a total stranger, and at least pop in for a forum skim every now and then.
I have yet to beat you at Alchemist Classic... RIP the dream