ID:1978060

Poll: Do you think, the Byond is near Die? (it gonna Die soon)

Yes 41% (22)
No 58% (31)

Login to vote.

hello, i want see, what players/developers think about Byond.
To be honest, some years ago, there were alot more players, games, developers..
More New project was coming, etc.
It's not going to die. Don't worry about that.
Sure it's much less populated, but because BYOND is now software-oriented (BYOND Software) over community oriented, the software isn't going to go anywhere. Lummox has been pushing updates to the engine on a very active basis. I'd say that BYOND is actually entering a new phase in its lifetime. It could be analogous to the cycle of the human being in which it enters a new chapter of his or her life.

BYOND has matured. It's learning to adapt to its new atmosphere of HTML5, and I have faith that it will catch the eye of a new generation of developers soon.
True, i also look in future (the weblicent) - it will be something new, and big in Byond :-}
But also i see, not much games on byond, new developers. And less and less players.
99% OF games end at screenshot, i saw soo much good games, even 2.5D, with good pixel art, etc.
But... No they died before rellease , do screenshoots will attract players - NO...

I want Byond Grow, but i don't see new games, developers.

The Last Breath of byond is:
Space Station 13
Other games, are moving into ground, why somone new would code in byond?

True programmers see byond, as big shit, they will never use it, move to it. For them, Byond is CRAP - no1 look at it serious.
Threads like these are never productive and only do to attract the negative Nancy's in our community to get up on their soap box's and spout their pretentious opinions.
And you don't think acting like it's on its last leg isn't being just a little toxic? This discussion has been had a million times before. The problems on BYOND aren't unique to BYOND and it's not like they come in any more abundance here than elsewhere. It's just the nature of the beast. The sooner you understand that, the better off you'll be in any community you become a part of.
Eternal_Memories wrote:
it's not like I can do anything better to help the community.

Did you just get done saying that BYOND could be "saved" by making better, higher quality games?
Just make another rip eternal and be our savior
Help support the Koz! (lelfeelsgoodman.jpeg) http://www.byond.com/games/Kozuma3/PARADOXCOUNTY
In my opinion all there is needed is better games. I was under the false impression many years ago that 2D games will be obsolete with all the new 3D games and effects that people are becoming acquainted with but I've recently realize I was wrong. Its just sad that phone apps and games are outshining and are more appealing than most BYOND games. BYOND is not dead, I can name plenty of upcoming games and programmers who are working really hard on some promising games, so there is definitely a potential of a new age and rebirth of BYOND. Though I believe the overall standards and expectation of BYOND games need to be raised to a whole new level. Maybe, if we develop some sort of system where games could get reviewed, it could help popularize games and game developers would be able to more easily see areas which needs improvement. But overall, its hard to tell the quality of a game by its hub, and these game should standout to help encourage and inspire more games of quality.
I don't know why people keep arguing that all you need are better games. That's not the problem. It's a piece of it, but not the main problem. Truthfully, BYOND can probably survive on SS13 and a few of the mandatory chat rooms alone. The key then, is to market BYOND better. How much money is spent into advertising BYOND, making BYOND available? You ever check the *cough* Unity *cough* subreddit? New stuff there all the time, tips and tricks, programming concepts, show-offs. It's also a lot more open to discussion, as users aren't as big of crybabies about their games getting criticized. BYOND's subreddit? Nothing of note. You want BYOND to get developers, games aren't going to do much for you there. The engine is pretty much about to go as far as it can go. You want developers, you have to market BYOND as a viable platform.

Except any developer can compare BYOND to Unity and see BYOND's shortcomings rather easily. Good luck though!
Knick-knack, patty-whack, oh look this thread is back!
With the recent updates over 500+ on BYOND, and the webclient, I wholeheartedly see the engine getting more powerful, I see a lot more projects being worked on, most of which are a lot higher quality, and I'm seeing new names just as much as I'm seeing the old names.

I genuinely believe Lummox is breathing new life into the engine, and that soon it's going to be taking off again. His recent additions and changes have all been a much larger scope and have added a lot of new options for developers, such as animate(), pixel movement, the new planes and colour blending options. All fantastic additions.
In response to Rushnut
See, the irony here is that this is the exact same pattern as when flash was supposed to be put into the client. Keep getting excited, 2 years from now we'll see what happens.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
See, the irony here is that this is the exact same pattern as when flash was supposed to be put into the client. Keep getting excited, 2 years from now we'll see what happens.

I unblocked you just to be sure that this bug was still happening. It is. Thought you like to know, now back to the abyss you heathen.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:

Except the Flash client wasn't even released and there's no "pattern" that resembles the flash client whatsoever.

You're attitude really bothers me, Lugia. Half of the time it's like you're just trying to shit on people just to take away their excitement and that's pretty pathetic. You're really my least favorite member of the community because you do nothing good here. Please go.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
Except the Flash client wasn't even released and there's no "pattern" that resembles the flash client whatsoever.

wrong... a lot of the new byond additions were likely inspired by lummox working in flash. animate(), atom.transform, atom.color, and a lot of other additions have obvious resemblance to as3, especially the syntax of animate()

on a side note, i dont think byond will die so long as people continue to present offerings to the byond god, lummox... encouragement and monetary contributes are good... also using his new features i think will help motivate
In response to Kumorii
And the other half of the time I'm doing...?

I'm here to stay. There's no reason for me to leave. This is a forum, and a forum is a place where discussion should be taking place. I posited my opinion as to where BYOND's biggest weakness is atm (marketing, no new blood, etc) and you're mad at me for being a productive poster and not just following the circle jerk? You can pretend you're not in a hot water all day long, it doesn't change that BYOND IS in hot water. Relying on donations without any tangible benefit for anyone? BYOND is a business, not a non-profit organization. YOND has a hard time pulling in developers because everyone else does what BYOND does AND MORE. BYOND is JUST NOW trying to catch up with webclient. Unity has had this for some time now.

If you want BYOND to thrive, you need to appeal to developers by offering them a service that other platforms do not. At this time, BYOND does not offer that and BYOND doesn't even extend to the mobile market (which seems to be the big market right now) but guess who does? Guess who has extended to the mobile market for... 4 years now? At least?
In response to Fat Albert
Fat Albert wrote:
In my opinion all there is needed is better games. I was under the false impression many years ago that 2D games will be obsolete with all the new 3D games and effects that people are becoming acquainted with but I've recently realize I was wrong. Its just sad that phone apps and games are outshining and are more appealing than most BYOND games. BYOND is not dead, I can name plenty of upcoming games and programmers who are working really hard on some promising games, so there is definitely a potential of a new age and rebirth of BYOND. Though I believe the overall standards and expectation of BYOND games need to be raised to a whole new level. Maybe, if we develop some sort of system where games could get reviewed, it could help popularize games and game developers would be able to more easily see areas which needs improvement. But overall, its hard to tell the quality of a game by its hub, and these game should standout to help encourage and inspire more games of quality.

All of this makes sense. I agree 100%, but I think it comes down to the developers themselves; from what I've noticed, most of the developers(specially fan game developers) aren't really developers, they're just kids who move around some code and even if they wanted to, they wouldn't be able to make a decent, professional game.

Then the few developers on here that can actually make a difference, either are not interested or are always complaining about something different as to why they can't finish their game or why their game isn't successful. But you're right if more new games come out that show what this engine is capable of and what we can do then maybe that will change. In the meantime we'll probably have to wait for all these fan game kids to grow up and start seeing the big picture.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with this, if anything because of the lack of content and low standards there is here, there is a perfect opportunity for any decent game to stand out- Which I am hoping turns out to be the case for my game Transcendence.
Page: 1 2