ID:1981898

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
hello yes I'd like dream maker to autocomplete the variables or procs that are valid for the datum or atom that im writing code for
Intellisense-type features have been requested already.
Nothing like a little friendly reminder. =P

These things would be wonderful as fuck, even if they aren't easy at all to make.

In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Intellisense-type features have been requested already.

Isn't that more of a reason to work on it, rather than shoot it down?
In response to Rushnut
Pretty sure he's working solo, so something like this isn't important no matter how many times requested when there are 100 other, more important things he could be focusing on given his limited resources.
In response to FKI
FKI wrote:
Pretty sure he's working solo, so something like this isn't important no matter how many times requested when there are 100 other, more important things he could be focusing on given his limited resources.

The power of an engine is inversely effected by the power of its IDE. I've recommended friends to BYOND who immediately turned it down when they got more than 5 minutes deep into the IDE.

The point of my comment was not to say "This must be top priority because it's the most important use of your time", it was more, "This must be top priority because clearly a huge amount of people greatly desire it". If there's 200 people asking for this, and 10 people asking for something more actually useful, it's better from a business perspective to go with the 200. I want BYOND to thrive, and features such as this being added to the IDE will go a long way (With relatively little effort).
There are other IDEs out there, like Eclipse. I heard at one point someone wss working on a BYOND plugin for that.

Here's the deal though: Intellisense-type features are very hard to implement. I don't know where you get the idea that it would take relatively little effort, because that's 180° from the truth. It's extremely non-trivial. Anyone who'd turn down a language simply because the IDE doesn't have these particular bells and whistles isn't serious in the first place. They're convenient to have, but they're not the end-all.

What matters more to people is what the engine can do.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Here's the deal though: Intellisense-type features are very hard to implement. I don't know where you get the idea that it would take relatively little effort, because that's 180° from the truth. It's extremely non-trivial.

I apologize, I didn't expect it to be too difficult, but I disagree with everything else you said. Then again, I still respect your opinion and I won't harp on about it again.
As a long-time programmer, I can say with authority that while those features are great, they don't matter a bit next to capability. In the end what people want are cool games. If I had an easy guideline for doing Intellisense features it'd be one thing, but as insanely difficult as the UI/parsing side of it is, the backend hooks are just as difficult.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
As a long-time programmer, I can say with authority that while those features are great, they don't matter a bit next to capability. In the end what people want are cool games. If I had an easy guideline for doing Intellisense features it'd be one thing, but as insanely difficult as the UI/parsing side of it is, the backend hooks are just as difficult.

I don't want to sound out-of-line when saying this, so take it as an opinion and not me stating facts, but it almost sounds as if you've lost sight of what BYOND's biggest draw it, its accessibility and usability even for the most novice of programmers. I can vouch for dozens of people who have stated on here many times that DM was their first language, and it opened the doors of programming to them.

Again, don't think I'm trying to throw insults around or be generally aggressive, but whilst I understand the value (The great value!) in added functionality to the engine, I believe that opening the doors to new programmers, even if slightly more, is going to be more beneficial to BYOND as a community.

Again, I didn't think implementing inellesense would be as difficult as you state it to be, so that renders the core of my argument pointless, but if there are easy ways to make the engine and IDE easier to use for all involved, gurus and novices alike, I believe it to be in everyone's best interests to move them up the ladder to top priority.
I don't mean to imply the IDE is complely unimportant, but you're vastly overstating its importance. Advanced features aren't nearly as valuable to novices as they are to experienced programmers, and experienced programmers know how to get along without them.

For my part, every time I've been introduced to a language my focus was on understanding what it can and can't do, and what it does well. Those also happen to be the things that make the difference when it comes to making games look polished.
ok i donated to byond money, can i get the feature?
I get a perfectly good autocomplete with just a basic vim automatcher

https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe

The identifier engine works perfectly fine.
In response to Aranclanos
Aranclanos wrote:

That's not how this works...
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Aranclanos wrote:

Shhhhh, let them believe..
i was scammed
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Aranclanos wrote:

I'd guess that would depend a bit on how much was donated.

Someone in the Skype group already worked out he paid for 2.5 hours of programmer wage.

LUMMOX GO SPEND 2.5 HOURS ON THIS.