ID:199555

Not a bug
BYOND Version:N/A (Website Bug)
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 16.0.912.77
Applies to:Website

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Go to a post that does not have a chosen answer.
2) Go to the highest upvoted post.
3) If the post has enough votes, it will become the chosen answer.

What if the thread is still in progress?
Should users be able to upvote other posts in the thread to become the 'new' chosen answer?

Expected Results:
To still be able to vote in posts and have a new chosen answer.

Actual Results:
The chosen answer is frozen and votes cannot be applied anymore to that post.
Yeah, I agree that voting should be left open even with a 'best' selected. More discussion could result in a more detailed answer that wouldn't be able to get the benefit of visibility that the previous answer had.
Perhaps being able to take away a vote you've casted and move it to another post?

Also Nadrew, quit trying to steal my precious points! D:
If it is just a certain amount of votes that is required to flag a post as the "Best Answer", maybe a time delay (a few hours, day?) would give time for a better answer (if possible) to develop before a post gets flagged as the best answer.
Okay, I talked to Tom about this. It's not the amount of votes in general, it's the post with the most votes after [x] amount of time from the original post. The reason some of these posts have been tagging prematurely is due to the fact that the original post wasn't actually posted within the last few days.

This is still being fiddled with, but after a few days when new posts are actually in fact new it will resolve itself.
Although I believe we have a heuristic in there for when the OP chooses the post and it has a certain #votes. I don't recall the exact details at the moment because Lum & I went back and forth on this, but he can answer for you when he goes on. It's something I'm sure we'll refine over time.
Right now there are three criteria that will close voting:

1) A post has reached a certain age of inactivity.
2) One answer has a significant lead over all others in votes. (I believe it requires a 5-vote lead.)
3) The asker's pick has a decent lead over all others in votes. (IIRC this is a 3-vote lead.)

I'll leave this issue open for discussion purposes or in case there's something about the algorithm that's not working right.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)