I'm not saying that I don't find marketing important, but you market for your game's audience rather than make a game just to sell it to the most people possible. If you do that then you come out with either something way too big for you to make, or you end up with something like Candy Crush -- lifeless and empty, but very marketable. If I want to market to the anime crowd, I'll make an anime game akin to the ones they play. But that's not the kind of game I want to make, so I'm not going to market to them.
In response to Fugsnarf
That's not what you said though.

Fugsnarf wrote:
I'm not sure if it's fair to clump the hidden anime game playerbase with the rest of the site. They probably aren't people you can market to easily or successfully.

I dispute the claim that the anime playerbase is difficult to successfully market to. You just contradicted yourself here.

I'm not saying that I don't find marketing important, but you market for your game's audience rather than make a game just to sell it to the most people possible. If you do that then you come out with either something way too big for you to make, or you end up with something like Candy Crush -- lifeless and empty, but very marketable. If I want to market to the anime crowd, I'll make an anime game akin to the ones they play. But that's not the kind of game I want to make, so I'm not going to market to them.

It's great that you do what's good for you, but it doesn't change the fact that you've lied in one of these 2 posts.
Lol seems like everyone's hate for Lugia is clouding their cognitive abilities (lv.1 NOOBS).

Jokes aside I agree with Lugia on the actual point he's trying to make, "Anime fans, the ones playing the hidden anime games are by far easier to market to then any other group of people on BYOND". My opinion based on actual experience.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
It's great that you do what's good for you, but it doesn't change the fact that you've lied in one of these 2 posts.

If you're being obtuse or are literally autistic, maybe. But if you take into account this thing called subtext, Fugsnarf is clearly saying that it's difficult to market non-anime games to anime game players. No one's disputing that you can easily shovel shit into a coprophage's mouth, but not everyone wants to qualify their success by how knee deep in filth they are.
In response to Popisfizzy
That was not the subtext at all. But let's assume that it was. A lot of people here claim that those that want to make an anime game should just take what they thought was good about the anime and make their own additions to make a game inspired by an anime, but original every way.

So let's say you did that, you made an anime based game but changed the things you thought were bad, and added your own variety. How then, would it be difficult to market this anime inspired game (which has all of the things you like about the anime games, and even has additions to make it better) to anime fans? I'm an anime fan, I love NGE, Gintama, InuYasha (obv). You're telling me that a community of ehh... how did you put it.. "literally autistic" folk like me can't enjoy other games? I've burned like 6 hours this week on Rogue Legacy. A game (I'll remind you) that was inspired by the MetroidVania games.

So really what baffles me is how you could possibly cordon off a subset of your community and say, "No, we don't want to appeal to them. They're stupid". Meanwhile, this is how the Indie game market + Steam became so powerful. And you know, when you say things that suggest that these anime game players are eh... "coprophages" then really, who are you to talk? Are you a Trump supporter? Because that's where this road goes.

Newsflash BYOND: Anime gamers are not second-class gamers.
Consistently over several thousand was far from the number I was expecting, though I'm very pleased Byond still has a player base to be proud of.

Just taking a glance at the "active" categoriy of the games list shows that there's still a good 600+ players (not including duplicates on different servers) enjoying BYOND games right now. Most of them don't usually post on the forums or have their own little subcommunity that they are a part of.

Page: 1 2