ID:2003509

I was on my way to physical therapy today, and NPR had a segment on a singer named Eva Cassidy, who was a singer from the DC area who died in 1996 at age 33. She has, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful voices I can recall ever hearing, and it drew me in immediately. This is saying something, considering I've never been too concerned with artists I enjoy having a "traditionally beautiful" voice (e.g., some of my favorite musicians include the Mountain Goats, the Pixies, Captain Beefheart, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, none known for a traditional style of singing).

She died before really recording much, so there's not a lot of her music out there. I'm looking into more, and finding some good stuff. Here's the one they started the segment out, a cover of Sting's song "Fields of Gold". If I remember the segment correctly, apparently even he called it the best rendition of the song.

I like it.

[edit] Her voice is beautiful, I loves it q3q
No voice makes me feel like I'm in heaven more than hers:

I don't even know what the hell she's saying but god damnit I love it.

[edit] oh and also i just came across this one like a few weeks ago and her voice is awesome too.

Fantastic song, but the lyrics don't convey a message strong enough.

Nothing I've ever heard quite hits the mark as strong as some of Matisyahu's songs. This song in particular has quite literally saved my life multiple times in the past.

I still prefer Sting's version for everything but the voice, but hers really does the song justice. Part of me does still want to prefer Sting's voice just because I like it so much, though.
steng is mussical gawd
In response to Rushnut
If you want a song with powerful lyrics, then I'd suggest "You Were Cool" by the Mountain Goats:

John Darnielle is pretty much the #1 contender for greatest contemporary lyricist. Two standouts from that song are,

It's good to be young, but let's not kid ourselves
It's better to pass on through those years and come out the other side
With our hearts still beating
Having stared down demons and come back bleeding

We held onto hope of better days coming
And when we did we were right
I hope the people who did you wrong have trouble sleeping at night

His music is full of absolutely beautiful lyrics like that, that convey so much in an utter paucity of words. He's an eminently talented man.
I've heard of this guy before, and listened to a little of his work but honestly I just can't get into it. He's got some pretty solid lyrics, sure, but as music it doesn't sound very good in my opinion.

Maybe Matisyahu just resonated a little better with me, regardless I accept that John Danielle definitely has some serious talent, even if I don't understand or appreciate it.
When I first heard of Matisyahu, I was really confused at why anybody would want to listen to Jewish reggae. But it's great. I have a playlist with just about all his stuff on it. Except Spark Seeker. We don't talk about that album. You came so close to just sounding like typical Miley Cyrus garbage, Matis, but you survived -- you got back to what's good.
ok that feyen butt wat abowt peta chao supastare museisin??