ID:2005012

Resolved
Gamepad support is here! Configure your gamepad by going to the Client | Gamepad Setup menu option in Dream Seeker, and then post on the forums with your cfg/joysticks.txt file contents (found in your BYOND user data folder) so we can build up a standard set of controllers. A DirectInput-compatible driver for your gamepad is required.

Gamepad buttons and analog sticks can be given verbs just like regular macros, or they can be mapped to keys and/or the mouse. See the Macros section of the skin reference for details.
Applies to:DM Language

This issue has been resolved.
This hasn't been suggested for a long time as far as I can tell, but it'd be nice if we could get some controller support. I'm aware of JoyToKey etc but they aren't ideal. Since BYOND has pixel movement now we could pretty much move in a straight line in whichever angle a joystick is held. Merry Christmas thanks for reading.
You can't do this with Dream Seeker *yet*, but it is (at present) possible in the webclient with this library: http://www.byond.com/developer/Pokemonred200/Gamepad.

If your game will work in the webclient, this can be a somewhat workable system until then.
For some reason, my game will not load in the webclient yet. It just says it failed.
you can do it in dream seeker with hax that range beyond your skill level
Are you hosting with the webclient enabled?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

I don't know how to enable it. I haven't seen a webclient reference anywhere. I wasn't aware it needed enabled.
In response to Tens of DU
Tens of DU wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

I don't know how to enable it. I haven't seen a webclient reference anywhere. I wasn't aware it needed enabled.

The webclient is still technically considered a beta feature and is not enabled by default. In Linux add -webclient to the command line; in Dream Daemon there's an option to enable it.

There's a webclient reference here: http://www.byond.com/docs/ref/webclient.html
Still, I think gamepad support with DS would be great. A lot of things with DS would be great qq
In response to Konlet
Konlet wrote:
Still, I think gamepad support with DS would be great. A lot of things with DS would be great qq

I agree. I've wanted it for a while.
Bump.

I know things like a joystick would be more difficult to work with, but how difficult would it be to allow the macro's "Find Key" function to get input from gamepads?
Indeed. I'd really like to support my USB NES controller. I keep swapping from my emulator to DreamSeeker to test stuff in my Dragon Warrior clone and forgetting the NES gamepad doesn't work with DS.
As a stopgap you can use AutoHotKey, but I would like to support gamepads eventually.
Couldn't you make a hackaround using a hidden browser with HTML5 and Gamepad API? Then just send the data back and process from there?
Yes. The trouble with that is that if the browser control loses focus, you can't put the focus back properly, and it causes all kinds of hangups from hanging keyboard events if the player happens to press a key during the focus traversal.

I'll experiment with it and see if I can find some bug reports to feed Lummox.
Actually IIRC, Internet Explorer doesn't support the Gamepad API at all (even in IE11) as the API wasn't implemented in a Microsoft Browser until Microsoft Edge. (This is, at least, the case on Windows 10, although I believe this applies to Windows 7 and 8 as well) so a hackaround might require using Flash or something along those lines.

(I tried this out in both DS's browser and the Webclient when I was trying to implement a feature for my library on the matter, so it's something I currently find relatively disappointing)
http://caniuse.com/#feat=gamepad

Your only option for gamepad support is a plugin-based polyfill... None of which are supported in IE11+.

But hey! You can do it for Windows 10 users if you force the browser into edge mode and they have Edge12+.
Gonna throw my hat in and support this feature for 511.

BYOND's progress has been fantastic recently and this would be another big feature as gamepads have become extremely prevalent for PC+Console users now that PS4, and the XBOne's controllers work with PC's straight out of the box.

Since BYOND uses DirectX 9.0, how difficult would this to be to add to 511 or 512? DirectInput and XInput both exist in DirectX 9, so using gamepads via one of those APIs shouldn't be too difficult, right?
In response to Pokemonred200
Pokemonred200 wrote:
Since BYOND uses DirectX 9.0, how difficult would this to be to add to 511 or 512? DirectInput and XInput both exist in DirectX 9, so using gamepads via one of those APIs shouldn't be too difficult, right?

The problem with that is limited controllers available. Microsoft only allows Xbox360 and XboxOne controllers for XInput and getting DirectInput working is--if I remember correctly--a per-controller basis.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Do it Lummox. This would be a game changer. If this + full screen were added, I'm sure everybody would flock towards the webclient
Page: 1 2 3 4