Fuck Bill Gates.
In response to Tokarom
This may be as much an Adobe issue as Microsoft. Anyway they're both looking into it now.
Edit: Wrote in the wrong post sorry!
Thank you so much ! This helped me wonders! >:D
Thank yoooouuuu!!!!!
Windows 10 users would have to endure some pain till they fix the issue with the security update. Apparently you won't be able to stop the update from re-installing. So every time you restart your pc that update will be installed (automatic by default). So you will have to keep uninstalling that security update every time you turn on your pc and try to run dreamseeker.
Just my luck. Finally go to try Space Station 13 and it won't work. Oh well, hopefully it'll be fixed soon.
In response to Trevmillion
Thanx so much this actually helped nothing else was working seriously
Just to update people here, there is now a Flash 20.0.0.270 for IE only, but not yet for Windows 10. I believe that's a direct result of the bug, and they must be working on a Windows 10 fix. The Flash version that's bugged as a result of this update is W10 1511, so presumably the Windows 10 release will be 1512 or higher.
Trevmillion wrote:
Thank you! I have also been cursed with having to use Windows 10 and this fix worked like a charm.

Complete instructions for Win10 users
  • Open start menu, type in "update" and click "windows update settings"
  • Click "Advanced Options"
  • Click "View Update History"
  • Click "Uninstall Updates"
  • In the upper right corner is a search box, click it and type in "kb313" and the security update causing problems should be the only one left (KB3132372).
  • Click "KB3132372" and then click "uninstall."
  • Confirm uninstall and let it do its thing.
  • No need to restart computer!

kudos to you...you saved my day (and my SS13 experience) thanks man i almost deinstalled BYOND cuz of it
Thanks so much!
This no longer works for me. I uninstall the update and seeker keeps crashing. Then, when I reboot my computer it automatically installs the update again. I can't play any games. I had to go into IE tools and check the activex filter.I even went into regedit and removed the automatic updates but I'm still experiencing the same result. This is really a pain just to load a game up. Fuck windows I'm about to buy a macbook.
In response to Mav472
Mav472 wrote:
Fuck windows I'm about to buy a macbook.

That wouldn't let you use BYOND, tho.
In response to Mav472
Mav472 wrote:
This no longer works for me. I uninstall the update and seeker keeps crashing. Then, when I reboot my computer it automatically installs the update again. I can't play any games. I had to go into IE tools and check the activex filter.I even went into regedit and removed the automatic updates but I'm still experiencing the same result. This is really a pain just to load a game up. Fuck windows I'm about to buy a macbook.

You can disable the automatic updates.

The good news is Microsoft and Adobe have been working together on this issue, and I suspect a proper fix is imminent.
I tryed this but, my computer keeps reporting t was unable to remove the update, ive now got a updated verson of the broken update, but that is failing to update, to replace the faulty one

I hope someone can find a solution to this
Microsoft finally fixed it I think. I waited for the latest update for Windows 10, and I just downloaded it and now I can finally launch the games. I believe the update was for that flash version 1511. I'm happy, couldn't play for 7 days.
This is just ridiculous. I have tried any way in here, be it the Active filter thing and even reversing the update, none of that worked, even when I have deleted Avast.

To be honest, I do not find it too helpful from Lummox that all he does as the first step is put the blame on Avast, and then admit that he has no idea what is happening. Why even bother? And why are we blaming Microsoft, when it is actually BYOND who messed up?

Older version were better, they didn't have ads and shit like that, it just worked how it was suppossed to and now it broke. Now I have even noticed when you install BYOND you get a DirectX update? Really? What is that for?

Sorry to say this, but I am more than sure that BYOND is at fault here, but they're just too lazy to look into it and fix it. If BYOND worked just fine a good year ago and now it doesn't, it must be the updates. Thanks for the help though.
In response to SPMG
SPMG wrote:
This is just ridiculous. I have tried any way in here, be it the Active filter thing and even reversing the update, none of that worked, even when I have deleted Avast.

To be honest, I do not find it too helpful from Lummox that all he does as the first step is put the blame on Avast, and then admit that he has no idea what is happening. Why even bother? And why are we blaming Microsoft, when it is actually BYOND who messed up?

I have every idea what's happening. This isn't a matter of placing blame but one of simple fact; the cause is known, and if it weren't I'd be working diligently to find it and fix it. You're also conflating two completely separate issues.

Issue #1 happened earlier, around Thanksgiving, when Avast started triggering on Dream Seeker due to a false positive that they still haven't fixed AFAIK. I have absolutely no control over whether a specific antivirus program is going to malfunction, so my only advice in that situation is the same I've been giving: Put BYOND in Avast's exceptions list, and report the false positive to them so they can stop freaking out about it.

Issue #2 is the version that this thread is about, which is namely that a new update to Windows 10 caused certain applications to crash. That list includes a popular mail client and Skype, so it's not confined to BYOND and it's getting the attention it needs. According to Snail45 they've fixed it already, but if they haven't it will be soon.

At this point I don't know which of those two problems you actually had. Your original post said that dreamseeker.exe was stuck in the Task Manager, which is a symptom of the Avast issue; the Windows update caused outright crashes. But which is it? What specifically have you tried? All you've told me to date is that you added BYOND to Avast's exceptions, but some of the Avast users who did that have noted that it has to be done a certain way or it doesn't take.

You've been silent for a week when people could have been helping you work through the problem instead. Spill some details, go over everything you've done exactly, and people here probably can help you.

Older version were better, they didn't have ads and shit like that, it just worked how it was suppossed to and now it broke. Now I have even noticed when you install BYOND you get a DirectX update? Really? What is that for?

I don't like that we have ads either. They wouldn't be necessary if more people got memberships. The ads bring in enough money that they've made up the difference. And if at any point BYOND's income is high enough where ads aren't needed, I'll be thrilled to ditch the ads.

The DirectX update was introduced in 509 because some systems, especially newer Windows 10 builds, lacked the correct libraries to handle some of the new display features in version 509. I would prefer to skip this update if the libs are installed already, but Microsoft's site says that best practice is to always run the updater on install.

Sorry to say this, but I am more than sure that BYOND is at fault here, but they're just too lazy to look into it and fix it. If BYOND worked just fine a good year ago and now it doesn't, it must be the updates. Thanks for the help though.

You can't be "sure" of any such thing, because I've explained in no uncertain terms what the actual problem is. I understand you're frustrated, because I'm pretty frustrated myself; the reason I'm frustrated is that both of those issues--Avast's and Microsoft's--are out of my control.

I've been communicating with people to work out solutions and workarounds, in part because if anything had been a BYOND issue, I wanted to fix it. In fact the Avast problem was unsolved for a short time because it looked exactly like a software issue with a new release, and only once the clue was discovered that dreamseeker.exe was unkillable did the truth come out.
Thanks, thought it was SmartScreen and AVG, but turns out it was this update! <3 ya!
I know my post is slightly off topic but at least hear me out...

I'll be the first to admit that I use an older Byond version to program games but don't always place blame on Lummox or Byond because Byond isn't always at fault. I'd say that more times than not, it's not usually Byonds fault and in fact it's the users fault for not adding certain things to their antivirus programs.

I tried using the newest Byond version and I use AVG and I also use IOBits Malware Fighter and BOTH of these programs caught the new Byond client with a false positive, the easiest solution is to add Byond to the exceptions list and notify your antivirus manufacturer about the false positive. Try the simple solutions before you jump down Byonds throat about it.

I'll admit, I "personally" am not a fan of some of the new updates to Byond and that's why I don't code with it, however I have multiple versions installed. 3.5, 4.55 and the latest. I have my reasons for this but placing blame on Byond for something isn't always the answer. I have noticed that aside from the updates that I don't like, when a bug with Byond is reported, Lummox will almost always jump at it to fix it so...

In my conclusion... Ask for help before assuming Byond is the cause.
Page: 1 2 3 4