ID:20129

With so many uses in programming, if you don't know much about trig., it'd really behoove you to look at http://www.oakroadsystems.com/twt/ (also useful for those of you who are taking the class in school this year).

You've probably noticed that BYOND has built-in sin and cos functions, but not tan and arctan. A tangent function is rather easy to define yourself (tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x)), but arctan is a bit less definitional. For arctan, see a post of Lummox's.
Now you know you're a damn loser when you start to care about Trigonometry.
Actually, Trigonometry has a lot of applications in games. Take Faction Wars as an example, I use trigonometry for the pixel projectiles, the vehicles, the corpses, the HUD damage indicator, and for explosions.

If I didn't know better, I would be using trigonometry for the radar as well.
I've heard 3D games rely mainly on trig as well. I always loved trig, so easy compared to those accursed proofs.
I hate trigonometry, especially with radians + polar co-ordinates. I don't mind the trig proofs though such as the tan x = sin x/cos x proof or the sin x^2 + cos x^2 = 1 proof etc.
THANK YOU for that link. I've been looking for a down-to-earth site that can help me learn what I missed in school and what I was never taught. My friend will enjoy this site as well.