ID:2021997

Hello fellow people on byond who have nothing better to do then read this post, guess what......drum roll please......I need advice, sources, links; we know all that good byond stuff everyone asks for. Anyhow I was wondering if iconning on byond is possible with a glitched out mouse. I never iconned before and my imagination is as wide as your gym socks are clean. Notice I said ICONNING and not SPRITING, also scratch my earlier statement I the iconning does not have to be on byond, but anything that can be converted to the standard .dmi file byond uses. Any of that good byond link tutorial stuff would be really appreciated. Unless any of you guys would like to do it for me :D.
ICONNING and not SPRITING

Uh... Iconning isn't actually a thing. Iconning/Spriting is just nomenclature for pixel art.

Gave some advice to another user in this thread you might find helpful.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1919192#comment16392747
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
ICONNING and not SPRITING

Uh... Iconning isn't actually a thing. Iconning/Spriting is just nomenclature for pixel art.

Gave some advice to another user in this thread you might find helpful.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1919192#comment16392747
I started byond with no knowledge of everything, so I made my own words up for things with names, I saw people making icons and I called it iconning to associate with the word drawing. Also how do I use that dawnbringer pallate.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Left to right represents, then to now
practice makes perfect.. I use to hate bases now I can whip up a baser nicer than most games in N,S,E,W Standing states in a hours time.

still got more improvement to do.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/ details?id=com.MARA3D.HumanAnatomy&hl=en
This tool kinda helps reference wise.
In response to Travylleb
Travylleb wrote:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Left to right represents, then to now
practice makes perfect.. I use to hate bases now I can whip up a baser nicer than most games in N,S,E,W Standing states in a hours time.

still got more improvement to do.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/ details?id=com.MARA3D.HumanAnatomy&hl=en
This tool kinda helps reference wise.

Is it rude to say your first attempt was ur best lol.
He started off half decent, sucked, went back to half decent again, then good, then back to horrendously full retard.
C'mon guys. His perspective got better, and his command of color definitely improved steadily.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
C'mon guys. His perspective got better, and his command of color definitely improved steadily.

No one who is using human anatomy references should've been able to produce those last two bases farthest to the right. That doesn't even pass for neanderthal anatomy.
OP is asking for advice/sources/links to help him learn to art.

Meanspirited, unconstructive criticism toward other people with more experience than OP attempting to help only makes this a worse place to be for everyone.

I'm not saying you can't criticize anyone. But... I mean, this isn't CC:

That doesn't even pass for neanderthal anatomy.

It's just mean.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Savage.
Telling someone who has been drawing since 2014 and uses human anatomy references "well at least your perspectives are correct!" doesn't help either. If I sat down and practiced something for going on 2 years and I was still pretty bad at it ( or even getting worse ), I'd like, want someone to point that out.

The thing with Travy is, judging by his art, he's probably not that all more experienced than OP to begin with. OP could probably reach his level of skill within a month by clicking some of those links and practicing for an hour every night.

His two most recent drawings look worse than his previous art, which is baffling because I've never seen an artist grow worse over time. This needed to be pointed out not only so that Travy can improve, but so that OP doesn't look at his art and say "Oh, so THAT's what my bases should look like." and try to emulate it. Which is what I did when I first got here, and my art looked like shit as a result. I was using Zeta rip art as references because I thought that's what a character was supposed to look like. Then after coming across better pixel art, I started realizing how awful the art in the Zeta rips were and began to improve.
LMFAO. Keep that shit up guys.
http://i.imgur.com/lXi4wGm.png

^That's my collection of unsorted work from the last three years, Empirez. A lot of it is worse than what Travellyb posted, and frankly, I've been trying to learn to pixel for a lot longer than him. To the tune of about 5 years now.

All I'm saying is that if I got that kind of treatment when I first started, I might not have stuck around and learned as much as I did.
The way the internet works is if he didn't hear it from me, he would've heard it from someone else. Especially if he intends on taking pixel art seriously at some point and making a professional game, no one's going to pay him to draw characters like his two most recent.

When he's trying to join a small team of developers down the line and they keep responding with "we found another artist, thanks anyway", it might be because my words were "mean".

Or it might be because you told him his perspectives and colors were good while ignoring the multitude of other things he's doing wrong. Like using a human reference and still producing something that doesn't look like a human.
Another example, though, not necessarily a resource to throw on the thread to kind of get it back on track.

Blossom Tales is a great example of mediocre pixel art that wows with its attention to detail, consistency, and sheer perseverance moreso than technique and style.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ filedetails/?id=303435958

If you are first starting out, starting small is the best way to learn fast. My advice would be to work at a very small icon size like 16x16 and get the hang of it from there.

Pixel art is so much easier to learn when you only have 256 pixels per tile to work with. Too many artists around these parts focus on 32x32 and larger, and basically wind up working themselves into a corner, progressing much slower because working at such huge sizes actually doesn't benefit you nearly as much as working in really tight spaces.

There's something about limitations that breed innovation and force you to learn techniques. Working at 16x16, 4 color graphics was a big help for me understanding the medium and diversifying my technique. Some of my best work was when I forced myself to use a very limited palette and limited the size of my work.
Guys take this shit to the streets and post it on YouTube :)
I think I'm going to quit the forums and BYOND developing. Forever. Bye.
Page: 1 2 3