ID:2025471

I have to submit a digital painting to another college.. I have no idea how this looks and that's why I need help from you guys. Let me know if I am proceeding correctly or should I change something. It's WIP ofcourse..

First off it looks weird which is a good thing :3 the design is there. What i don't like though is the background, it feels as if u just used one of them premade brushes and went over the background layer. The vines on the top irritate the crap outa me as they feel out of place. It's a good idea to kind of boarder it like that but it looks off compared to the rest of it. The character shown is good but i really dislike the pose it's given and really dislike how it looks in contrast with everything else, the background for example. It's a wip i understand, but the composition feels off.
You're making the boobs too jello like. They look like syrup on the syrup bottle.

The abdomen isn't skinny enough. What's a bug trying to look hot flying around with a gut doing with its hand on its hip?

Everything else is great but the humanoid needs work.

Composition fixes. I hope it looks better now.
A lot to fix and complete in this piece, goddamit!
And it's weird that I can't see Baird's comment as soon as I login.
You should thank lummox for that, and I thank you for letting me know what he did to me despite me doing absolutely nothing wrong.
Here's my edit

http://prntscr.com/9wefh0

I gave her more height by extending the stomach area(im sure you can tell where) however my poor drawing skills and lazy made me feel like not fixing it all the way.

Your second one is great though. Just needs the right body length.

I'm not sure if shes flying or not but if she is her legs need a little more hang time.
Why'd you blur the background so much?
In response to Kitsueki
I'm sure it's so he could tinker with the character only that second image he posted isn't final.
In response to Baird
Baird wrote:
You're making the boobs too jello like. They look like syrup on the syrup bottle.

She's a forest creature and probably flies in humid areas. The light dispersion on her chest is fitting to environmental conditions.

The abdomen isn't skinny enough. What's a bug trying to look hot flying around with a gut doing with its hand on its hip?

Is that why you extended her gut in your edit? You're going against your own poorly thought-out advice.

Everything else is great but the humanoid needs work.

The humanoid's chest and head are the focal points. The background needs the most work. You can tell the background had transparent stock photography instead of being completely painted.

A2J2TIWARI, I believe a part of your problem is the shading (ex: the pink materials are different), and the background is extremely flat. Those vines have no depth.
I'm not a artist by no means but i like looking at art :3

so just someone that looks at art everyday i'm just gonna

focus on the person/bug lady.

1. the first picture the transparent wings to me where better then filled yellowish solid wings in the seconded picture

2. the lighter body in the seconded picture looks better then the first picture.

3. To me the darker pink clothing looks better in picture one then it does in picture two.

that's all i got

now if i was to say something about the background i do the like background one how you have it showing a tree like background because your person is a insect lady, but if your going to have vines at least show where it's coming from or connecting to or just make it a forest with no vines,

because way i see it now its just a tree area and like a random vine or two that just leads no where.
Thanks a lot everyone! Your comments are really helpful. Shatan got everything right though :P

I had completed the piece(almost) then due to sudden power failure I lost my operating system! Fuck me!
Thanks to these posts I made I was able to salvage things as png and then had to restart from last update...

Everything is WIP but it's progress nonetheless:
In response to Shatan
Poorly thought out? She has the physique of a goblin and dwarf. An over sized head, long arms, my edit was fitting. It could use touch ups but was trying to pass by the general idea of what should have been done.

I guess the simple fix could be re-sizing the head, but then again this is my taste, if his "creature" was meant to have a head with that much weight than so be it, but I'm sure the neck would have to be stronger than it looks unless it's some genetics going on keeping it from being slumped but I'm sure he didn't think that far ahead.

Almost done!
Calling this finished, because I really can't work on it anymore!

And here's another piece that I have started:

Portfolio Piece in Making

Another completed piece:
The sky is a little to linear gradient for me, I'd like to see some clouds or a setting sun behind it. The mountain itself it beautiful, I really like it.
Good job yo, your progress is nice. What do you paint with?
That mountain is phenomenal...
@Flick: I have made it as it is from the Photograph I used as reference. I am glad you like it though.

@Kitsueki: Thanks a lot! So flattered! I use Photoshop and usually just one particular brush from set of basic brushes.

@Exentriks: Just keep cheering me like that yeah? Thanks much brother!
Update:

Page: 1 2