ID:2029124

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
Hello, i'm for some years on the byond, but i have never code something on it, how i can learn coding in byond? Is it hard?
I was learning before c/c++ (procedural and objective). some javascript + html and css tags. So i got the basic of coding, but i feel like a byond is something diffrent.
Best response
The DM Guide is really the best place to start.
the DM guide is a good place to start, but it would be more preferrable if someone were to learn the basics like html/css, javascript etc. You can learn as much on here(codecademy) or here(udemy)
In response to Dragonpearl123
The question was about learning DM, not learning HTML, CSS, or JavaScript. Those links may be useful for those, but they have nothing to do with what the OP asked.
In response to Lummox JR
touche, however his question was already answered, I just wanted to elaborate for anyone who didn't know.
Dragonpearl123 wrote:
touche, however his question was already answered, I just wanted to elaborate for anyone who didn't know.

You said "it would be more preferrable [sic]" to learn those other languages first. Learning any of those first isn't necessary to learn DM programming, and doesn't really help much at all. (Obviously learning JS before DM would make DM a little clearer, but the reverse is also true, simply because the core programming concepts carry over.)
In response to Lummox JR
If i do say more places are devoted to teaching java than dm etc.... It would be easier to learn from multiple sources than just 1.
Dragonpearl123 wrote:
If i do say more places are devoted to teaching java than dm etc.... It would be easier to learn from multiple sources than just 1.

But he asked about learning DM, not JavaScript. Those sites may well be useful for someone seeking to learn about JS, and HTML and CSS, but they have no bearing on learning DM.
In response to Lummox JR
Like you said earlier
Obviously learning JS before DM would make DM a little clearer
Learning JS before DM would make DM a little clearer, as it did for me, although it is a personal experience, I remember first reading the DM guide and I was so confused, I learned html/ javascript(tried multiple sites because some of them were confusing) came back it was like I was reading a kindergardeners book. All I am saying is that DM guide would be a good place to start but learning JS and the basic commands, would make it easier to use DM.
Only to the extent that understanding any programming language at all would make DM clearer. It has so little in common with JS that there's nothing particularly helpful about JS that wouldn't be true of any other language.
In response to Lummox JR
What! JavaScript helped me so much, and HTML/CSS!
Did you learn straight from the DM guide?
I did. Now granted I had a great deal of experience under my belt. But none of it was necessary to understand DM. And knowing HTML/CSS helps not one bit, except in formatting output; they're not programming languages.

My point is, telling someone to learn JS before DM is exactly as helpful as telling them to learn DM before JS.
In response to Lummox JR
Good point.....maybe it was just me then, also I meant HTML helps with the fonts, and styles and such but that makes it more CSS...