ID:2035024

Resolved
Maptext caused drawing errors in many cases.
BYOND Version:510.1324
Operating System:Windows 8
Web Browser:Chrome 49.0.2623.47
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
If you set the maptext of any atom it becomes invisible and the maptext doesn't show.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
[demo]

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
turf/icon = 'turf.dmi'

mob
icon = 'mob.dmi'

verb/set_maptext(t as text)
maptext_width = 128
maptext_height = 128

maptext = t

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Seems to be occurring in every project I've tried.
In other user accounts? Probably.
On other computers? No idea.

When does the problem NOT occur?
Don't know.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Bah! Phooey. I tested maptext and did not get this result. Do you have a demo?
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Maptext caused drawing errors in many cases.
Wow, this was a nasty one. I can't believe this slipped by my testing. I'll have to do a new release quite soon.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

This might be related to Metamorphman's post but I'm not certain. Whatever I'm dealing with does not involve atoms that become invisible.

I have item labels that show up when the mouse hovers over the item on the ground. These item labels are comprised of two parts: an image that contains the maptext, and an image that contains the black label background. Both of these images are simply added to client.images when the mouse event occurs.

Here is how they looked like, in 510.1323 and earlier versions:

Here is what happens when I hover my mouse over an item in the same manner in 510.1324:

It seems like the item labels are interfering with stuff on the same plane, and with stuff on higher planes. The white splotches all over the screen are on the map on the same plane. The white rectangle that shows up on the top left is in the client.screen, on a higher plane. All of these objects that the artifacts belong to are present in all of the screenshots in this post.

Here is what happens with the item labels in 510.1324 when I comment out the section of code that sets the maptext variables.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Make an image with null icon and with non null maptext and set it's loc to some movable atom
2. Add this image to client.images

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
//I am not sure that the specifics here make a big difference with the bug

mouseOverTitle.loc = src
mouseOverTitle.appearance_flags = RESET_COLOR | RESET_TRANSFORM
mouseOverTitle.plane = ALL_EFFECTS_PLANE

mouseOverTitle.layer = src.layer + 1
mouseOverTitle.maptext = "[buildSpan(null, charSize, "#000000", null, "bottom", "center", null)][src.name]" //create text shadow
mouseOverTitle.maptext_width = sizeX
mouseOverTitle.maptext_height = sizeY
mouseOverTitle.maptext_x = -sizeX / 2 + iconWidth / 2 + 1
mouseOverTitle.maptext_y = iconHeight - 1

mouseOverTitle.underlays += mouseOverTitle.appearance
mouseOverTitle.maptext = "[buildSpan(null, charSize, fontColor, null, "bottom", "center", null)][src.name]" //create text
mouseOverTitle.maptext_x = -sizeX / 2 + iconWidth / 2
mouseOverTitle.maptext_y = iconHeight
mouseOverTitle.mouse_opacity = 0

Expected Results:

Actual Results:
Maptext is not showing. The appearance of atoms inside and outside of client.screen on different planes is being affected.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time
In other games?
Could not determine
In other user accounts?
Could not determine
On other computers?
Could not determine

When does the problem NOT occur?
When maptext is not shown in an overlay?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Problem does NOT occur in 510.1323 and earlier versions

Workarounds:
Remove maptext from the game.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
I'm absolutely certain this is the same bug, so I'll reattach it. I plan to put out 1325 tomorrow because this is a big one. I can't fathom how it didn't show up for me in testing.
I'm having an issue that's similar to this. The maptext is there, but it gets cut off. Not per-character either, like you would see if it goes over bounds, it gets cut off partway through characters.
Version 510.1325

The maptext is now showing, but it still interferes with the apperances of other objects. All of these other objects are on various planes (both above and on the same plane as the maptext).

They do have something in common though: They are on the default blend_mode, and all have white pixels on low alpha.

When the item object labels aren't showing, none of the artifacts appear.

[EDIT]: When I set the plane of the image that contains the maptext to something very high (plane 30), a plane that doesn't contain any other object, the artifacts go away...

That's bizarre though because the HUD stuff on the top left is on plane 20, and the sparkly dust that floats around the map is on plane 9 (the same plane that the item labels are on)
I think your issue probably warrants a new report. If you can distill it down to a demo that would be ideal.