The second I decided to show a game I was working on for sometime, guess who was there to comment.

http://prntscr.com/ad9gqi

You're always watching, just some little pissy fan.
In response to Baird
Lol you're so delusional and dwell on the past too much.

Baird wrote:
But you'll take what you can get because your yearly income is based off what Quentin or your Mom gives you.

False.

Why learn something if you don't even use it.

False.

You lack imagination, and spirit, a-lot of spirit.

False. You lack patience and dedication.

BYOND is useless

To me it is.

and it cannot make any money

Never said that. False.

BYOND is useless to those who lack imagination and think that graphics and quality is everything.

It's useless to professional game developers or anyone with enough skill to do without it.

If Silk's design can do it, that means I can bank it.

That's a fallacy. Just because you see someone pull something off doesn't mean you can.

Meanwhile you're gonna stay in some corner, practicing with other engines for years

I have enough experience to not need to depend on other engines, so no. Wrong again.

Trust me, I know you do nothing but sit on skype all day interacting with other no names, or playing repetitive fps games.

False. I'd try to give you the exact date of the last time I played an fps, but Steam isn't giving me information that far back.

For someone who's done so much and continue to try because you have nothing left to throw at the crowd against me I doubt it. Your well is empty. You've already tried everything.

Ya, you're hopeless. For someone with supposed zeal for game development, you've sat in the same boat and haven't progressed at all since you first came to this site. That's over 8 years of stagnation.

It showed up in my feed. But no, I'm not your fan. :)
In response to Shatan
Shatan wrote:
Lol you're so delusional and dwell on the past too much.

Baird wrote:
But you'll take what you can get because your yearly income is based off what Quentin or your Mom gives you.

False.

Why learn something if you don't even use it.

False.

You lack imagination, and spirit, a-lot of spirit.

False. You lack patience and dedication.

BYOND is useless

To me it is.

and it cannot make any money

Never said that. False.

BYOND is useless to those who lack imagination and think that graphics and quality is everything.

It's useless to professional game developers or anyone with enough skill to do without it.

If Silk's design can do it, that means I can bank it.

That's a fallacy. Just because you see someone pull something off doesn't mean you can.

Meanwhile you're gonna stay in some corner, practicing with other engines for years

I have enough experience at an operating systems core and rendering technologies to not need to depend on other engines, so no. Wrong again.

Trust me, I know you do nothing but sit on skype all day interacting with other no names, or playing repetitive fps games.

False. I'd try to give you the exact date of the last time I played an fps, but Steam isn't giving me information that far back.

For someone who's done so much and continue to try because you have nothing left to throw at the crowd against me I doubt it. Your well is empty. You've already tried everything.

Ya, you're hopeless. For someone with supposed zeal for game development, you've sat in the same boat and haven't progressed at all since you first came to this site. That's over 8 years of stagnation.

It showed up in my feed. But no, I'm not your fan. :)
Like everything you just said, False. http://prntscr.com/ad9w6y

L. Bye.

In response to Baird
Baird wrote:
Like everything you just said, False. http://prntscr.com/ad9w6y

L. Bye.

That doesn't mean I'm your fan. You're so delusional. xD
To sum this thread up, person A says maps should be thought of as art. Ter13 says that maps HAVE to have utility. I'm inclined to disagree with Ter13 because a minimalist attempt at creating maps may lead to tight game design but ultimately leads to boring worlds.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Let's talk about purpose.

It doesn't matter how your tiles blend together. That doesn't make a good map. It doesn't matter how much clutter you have. That doesn't make a good map.

What matters is purpose. Purpose is everything. Why is there a house there? Why is that tree on its own?

Why is there a graveyard? What gameplay purpose does every individual tile give you?

A well designed map is a representation of the activities a player can expect to perform within that map.

How great your tiles look and how well they blend together, and whether your map has distinct biomes quite literally has no bearing on whether your map is a success or not.

One of the main reasons BYOND games showcase terrible mapping skills is because they lack an understanding of space and purpose. That's because BYOND games don't generally have purpose, and they generally have too much space for too little content.

This house is separated from the rest of the village. Why is that? Because it is important. Each of the other buildings has a different purpose than this one. Why is it next to the graveyard? Because this house's purpose connects with the graveyard's purpose. The house is owned by the village elder, who is responsible for his people's well-being. The graveyard is a reminder of his responsibility for his people. The paths to the two areas connect. The graves have messages engraved in the headstones that tell you how people of this village died. The Elder tells you quite a lot about the village's current plight.

This is the town's main market area. This is where the player will mostly spend his time while at this village. Notice how the Inn, the magic shop, the item shop, the weapons and armor shops are all very nearby? Notice how the inn is easily accessible from the village entrance? This is all done deliberately to give the player a quick entry/exit from town when they are working on progressing their character rather than entering into the story.

Notice how the entire market district fits within the player's screen? That's done deliberately to create a feeling of closeness and reduce meaningless travel time.

This is the entire tileset for this town. I deliberately limited myself to a 128x128 texture area for the entire town's tileset. The reason I did this was to reduce art load and decrease the urge to include meaningless details. Everything MUST have a purpose because I didn't have the room to spare for useless flavor art.

There's something special about that pond. What could it be? What's with that little statue on the lower-left of the screen? What could that be about?

Oh man, what's in that house? Who would live out here on the edge of the desert? Maybe a merchant that serves as the last friendly stop before the player enters a hellish wasteland?

The first thing you might complain about here is the total disregard for tile blending on the left side of this image. Why would I highlight this as a case of "good" mapping? Because you can never see that transition. It exists solely at the boundary of the game's viewport and the player will never see that these two areas don't properly blend. Look at the approach toward what is obviously a dungeon. Look how it builds the importance of the area above with the stairs and the statues.

Notice how the trees are escaping the island with the dungeon? It gives the hint that the evil beneath the land is spreading its hold over the realm. The bridge also serves as a divider between the mainland and the dungeon area, making it more memorable and isolated.

Man, if only those stairs weren't blocked... I bet that they would take you someplace cool! I wonder what you could do about it? See how the map gets tight? That would sure make enemy encounters difficult, wouldn't it?

Lastly, see how that cave has unique decorations? I wonder what's inside of it. You never see anything like those decorations anywhere else. That must mean that something unique is in this cave.

And if you really want to talk about purpose:

This is a very bland looking map, but every single object in the player's view has a purpose. The pressure plates trigger the door to be locked, forcing the player to have to move past the arrow traps to trigger another pressure plate that fires a fireball trap into the brazier, which acts as a switch that triggers a rolling boulder. The boulder rolls continuously, triggering the pressure plates that fire the arrow traps, hitting a teleporter trap, which resets its location to the beginning of the boulder corridor. The crate above the boulder acts as a logic gate which allows the pistons to determine whether the brazier is still burning or not before letting the player out of the trapped room. All of this creates a trap that forces the player to run through the trap quickly in order to escape. If he's too slow, he can't get out. If he's too fast, he may die from the arrows. Every element of this tiny portion of the level is designed around purpose. While the map itself may be bland, this is a particularly nasty trap and will create a memorable experience for the player.

With mapping, purpose is everything. Aesthetics like tile blending must take a back seat.

10/10

The real question is how to make every tile for an ocean have a purpose :P?

The ultimate challenge!!!!
The real question is how to make every tile for an ocean have a purpose

It already does. It provides a logical exploration barrier for the player and a good stopping point for the designer to cease creating landmass.
In response to Ter13
Wait wait wait i meant that we're going to be on boats and sailing across the ocean xD. The landmass will be the barrier :P.
Large expanses of ocean is generally something developers avoid. It's pretty much impossible to make it visually interesting and exploring it fun in any real sense. It's just endless blue with little to no real features.

Take a look at Windwaker, no one liked getting into that boat. Not a single person. Suikoden 4 is considered the worst in the series and part of that is because the world map was an ocean, and travelling to locations was a downright horrible experience.

From a map stand point, you will never make an ocean interesting. You're going to have to add other things to the game that happen to the player while they're travelling to make it interesting.
Well I wouldn't say it's impossible. Subnautica exists, after all.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:

Take a look at Windwaker, no one liked getting into that boat. Not a single person. Suikoden 4 is considered the worst in the series and part of that is because the world map was an ocean, and travelling to locations was a downright horrible experience.

DansGame Sailing was the best part of that game. It felt piratey.
In response to MisterPerson
MisterPerson wrote:
Well I wouldn't say it's impossible. Subnautica exists, after all.

If that's the game I'm thinking of, keep in mind that the surface of the sea and the goings-on below are very different things.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
Large expanses of ocean is generally something developers avoid. It's pretty much impossible to make it visually interesting and exploring it fun in any real sense. It's just endless blue with little to no real features.

From a map stand point, you will never make an ocean interesting. You're going to have to add other things to the game that happen to the player while they're travelling to make it interesting.

:c i guess ill just make it a sea.

Page: 1 2