ID:2056710

So vr im sure you heard of it. It's called virtual reality, and some big companies are making them. Sony, google, and microsoft. (Well if you count virtual boy from nintendo oh so long ago then kuddles 2 u)

Now here's the thing it's not a debate about which one is best which is usual with consoles and stuff. No it's a debate on whether these vr devices are good or not/whether or no it's just a gimmick that will never go onto become the next smart phone or whatever/become mainstream.

The first time i saw the oculus rift in action was back at e3 last year when they did that awesome thing with mine craft. I was instantly on the hype train it looked freaking awesome, but i'm not known for that sort of thing. A few months later i started thinking about it pretty freaking hard, and came to the conclusion that they aren't going to be as fantastic as everyone initially thought.

I realized early on that people werent asking these developers any of the right questions, and i myself have asked some questions have answered them with both perspectives.

Question #1:
When will i use vr over a regular t.v.?

Question #2:
Why would i use vr over a regular t.v.?

->Subject<-:
How could it benefit games?

Answering the Subject:
Gives the player a first person experience, and it can change the way we perceive certain games. / immersion

Now lets add those 2 questions in.
When will i use vr over a regular t.v.?

Im not going to answer those questions for you since everyone has their own opinion and mines shouldn't matter to yours

That said How would you answer those 2 questions?

Do you think vr can catch on?

Is vr just going to be another kinect (in regards to how it's just another gimmick that will lose support and eventually be forgotten?)

____________________________________________________________ ________________
Part 2 yay :D?

rip part 2 that i deleted <3
It definitely depends on what you consider VR. I would for sure use a hololens over a TV, but other VR devices not really.

The MS hololens is really designed to make your daily life more convenient, and if you have the money for it I imagine it'll be a great tool and a fun (possibly life-changing) experience as well. On the side of gaming, I don't think Hololens has much potential as it is.

The Vive and Oculus are more designed for games, but it seems like Vive is more suited (since it's owned by Steam and not... Facebook) as it has more equipment though is about the price of an average PC, not to mention you'll need a beast of a computer to run either the Vive or the Oculus.

VR Definitely will catch on; it already has. I bought the first Development Kit of Oculus thinking it was going to burst like nothing I'd ever seen, but I was simply being impatient and thus had no games to play and the crappiest version of the device.

Well, any cameras used with current VR tech are used either to determine your relative position to "center" or for your hands, it seems. However, there seems to be quite a bit of gauntlet-type controllers for the VR devices and they seem more reliable than Kinect and even compete to the Wii-mote.

On the whole, I'm excited - I've been excited for like 20 years, y'know? I just don't know if VR on the level I'm looking for will be around this decade.
In response to Konlet
Hopefully they will start implanting something into the eyes of recently born children so they don't need to put on the devices.

as well as has a device that can intercept signals traveling along the spine and other freaky places so that you can control a virtual body.

Then we would have the perfect world to take over. <3
In response to Ghost of ET
Pfffff that'll not happen for hundreds of years unless some insane person takes over. There is electrical nerve stimulation, though. And the spine connects to all your nerves, by the way. Lol
In response to Konlet
The other freaky places meant inside the ball sack of males :P.

In response to Ghost of ET
They already have those. .-.